What’s the consensus on Kliff Kingsbury?

RUGmen

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Mediocre head coach with a QB who is on the verge of "being who he is" in a year if he doesn't make the necessary strides. Kyler isn't bad at all and I think he's pretty good...but he was billed as a Top 10 guy at one point this year, and I think that's a joke.

Kyler was probably the most overrated QB this year, IMO.

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Kyler was probably the most overrated QB this year, IMO.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Toss up for me between him and Ben Roethlisberger.

I think both are in that conversation. 

KM got arguably the best WR in football and has an offensive minded coach and was...fine. Granted, that OL and running game needs work, but he was vaulted to the top WAY too soon.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think both are in that conversation. 

KM got arguably the best WR in football and has an offensive minded coach and was...fine. Granted, that OL and running game needs work, but he was vaulted to the top WAY too soon.

I think we also have to remember that for a lot of the season, one or both of KM or DH were injured/playing injured.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair the Cardinals did start out the season pretty hot, and the primetime win against Seattle probably was the main cause for the hype. He obviously isn't among the best in the league at this point but his ceiling still remains really high. I still find it weird that we neglected to address our OL this past season despite having a young QB and probably the worst OL in the league the year prior.

Edited by UncleAdamz

Just now, UncleAdamz said:

To be fair the Cardinals did start out the season pretty hot, and the primetime win against Seattle probably was the main cause for the hype. He obviously isn't among the best in the league at this point but his ceiling still remains really high. I still find it weird that we neglected to address our OL this past season despite having a young QB and probably the worst OL in the league at that point.

I was extremely thankful when you guys passed on Wills.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

I was extremely thankful when you guys passed on Wills.

It's funny because we had a bunch of previously drafted linebackers that hadn't been too great, and they decided to show up this season after we drafted Simmons. In his previous three seasons Haason Reddick had only 7.5 sacks, and this year he had 12.5 on a similar number of snaps. And that's without Chandler Jones on the other side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UncleAdamz said:

It's funny because we had a bunch of previously drafted linebackers that hadn't been too great, and they decided to show up this season after we drafted Simmons. In his previous three seasons Haason Reddick had only 7.5 sacks, and this year he had 12.5 on a similar number of snaps. And that's without Chandler Jones on the other side.

How was Simmons for you guys? I know he started off rough but I thought his play improved as the season went on?

kliff-kingsbury-2020-nfl-draft-cardinals

He's Smug AF

I'll give him more credit than most seem to. He took a 3-13 team with a QB who was drafted early the prior year and said "I don't want him" and got HIS guy. Team improved to 5-10-1 in 2019, and now 8-8 in 2020. He's trending in the right direction and has built an offense that unlocks the best of Kyler Murray.

Yes, they failed down the stretch, but I think the Cardinals have to feel good about their prospects. They are probably the favorites for the division in 2021, and with aging/retiring QBs, maaaaaybe the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference IMO

26 minutes ago, DawgX said:

How was Simmons for you guys? I know he started off rough but I thought his play improved as the season went on?

He improved, but never really was consistent enough to make a huge impact. He definitely is still on a trajectory to become a solid player, but something would have to change for him to really become something special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think we also have to remember that for a lot of the season, one or both of KM or DH were injured/playing injured.

Very fair, and you have a HC/OC who doesn't believe in the value of running the football.

55 minutes ago, UncleAdamz said:

To be fair the Cardinals did start out the season pretty hot, and the primetime win against Seattle probably was the main cause for the hype. He obviously isn't among the best in the league at this point but his ceiling still remains really high. I still find it weird that we neglected to address our OL this past season despite having a young QB and probably the worst OL in the league the year prior.

Oh, make no mistake about it, I think that Kyler is pretty good with a lot of upside. The holes on the OL and in the running game are very apparent. I'm not saying that Kyler isn't good, but he's not what he's been hyped (and that's not his fault).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

kliff-kingsbury-2020-nfl-draft-cardinals

He's Smug AF

I'll give him more credit than most seem to. He took a 3-13 team with a QB who was drafted early the prior year and said "I don't want him" and got HIS guy. Team improved to 5-10-1 in 2019, and now 8-8 in 2020. He's trending in the right direction and has built an offense that unlocks the best of Kyler Murray.

Yes, they failed down the stretch, but I think the Cardinals have to feel good about their prospects. They are probably the favorites for the division in 2021, and with aging/retiring QBs, maaaaaybe the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference IMO

Not sure I agree with that last sentence at all, personally I think they're the worst team in their division (they're still a very good team, that division is just stacked). Packers, Saints, and Bucs (as long as Brady/Brees come back) are all pretty clearly better teams as well.

To me Arizona was still the worst team in the NFC West.

They went 2-4 in the division which means he went 6-4 against everyone else.

The hype on them was just too much - they're not a very good football team.

I'd rank them about a 7 win team based on talent alone, so I guess that means Kliff exceeded my expectations - the main reason for me thinking they're a 7 win team is because Murray, even when healthy, is an average QB IMO. Hopkins is nice but their OL isn't good, other weapons are below average and their defense hovers around average as well.