Jump to content

Seahawks fire OC Brian Schottenheimer


Recommended Posts

IMO, Seattle would benefit on the OL and in the running game, and maybe add another receiver, but the next OC needs to give RW some "safer" play calls from a dropback and get the ball out quick standpoint, and I think would be better off with a zone run/wide run and play-action boot style attack, utilizing RW's athleticism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, Seattle would benefit on the OL and in the running game, and maybe add another receiver, but the next OC needs to give RW some "safer" play calls from a dropback and get the ball out quick standpoint, and I think would be better off with a zone run/wide run and play-action boot style attack, utilizing RW's athleticism.

At this point in time there's honestly not much left there, though. Watching Russ try to run around this year was pretty depressing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

At this point in time there's honestly not much left there, though. Watching Russ try to run around this year was pretty depressing.

I think that's what I'm saying. He's still athletic, he's just not a running threat anymore. (See: Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow)

Those guys above are all "plus" athletes, but RW used to be like Josh Allen/others in terms of him really hurting you with his feet/having to account for him in that facet of the game. Playing man coverage vs. him was scary, because he could run for 30+ yards juking your MLB one time/running by him.

He can still make plays outside of the pocket and occasionally beat a DE to the edge to pickup those 8-12 yard cheap plays that drive us defensive types crazy, and if the DE starts cheating on the boot, you get the cutback run not accounted for with your RB.

Rodgers, Mayfield, and even Cousins have shown how good they can be in a similar scheme/system for plus athletes at the position who are good throwing on the move.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that's what I'm saying. He's still athletic, he's just not a running threat anymore. (See: Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow)

Those guys above are all "plus" athletes, but RW used to be like Josh Allen/others in terms of him really hurting you with his feet/having to account for him in that facet of the game. Playing man coverage vs. him was scary, because he could run for 30+ yards juking your MLB one time/running by him.

He can still make plays outside of the pocket and occasionally beat a DE to the edge to pickup those 8-12 yard cheap plays that drive us defensive types crazy, and if the DE starts cheating on the boot, you get the cutback run not accounted for with your RB.

Rodgers, Mayfield, and even Cousins have shown how good they can be in a similar scheme/system for plus athletes at the position who are good throwing on the move.

@AFlaccoSeagulls additionally (I accidentally hit submit), I was going to say that RW holds the ball WAY too long, and in his prime, he could because of that athleticism. He's at the point now where that ball needs to be out sooner, and then those big plays down the field need to happen on primarily playaction passes or more of the intermediate routes, where you set up the defense on the boot and short passing game and running the ball consistently. He's got the weapons for major RAC potential that would be more lethal as is. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MWil23 said:

@AFlaccoSeagulls additionally (I accidentally hit submit), I was going to say that RW holds the ball WAY too long, and in his prime, he could because of that athleticism. He's at the point now where that ball needs to be out sooner, and then those big plays down the field need to happen on primarily playaction passes or more of the intermediate routes, where you set up the defense on the boot and short passing game and running the ball consistently. He's got the weapons for major RAC potential that would be more lethal as is. 

I agree with this, he definitely holds onto it too long, especially given the state of his OL and his own athleticism. That whole "run backwards and turn to the left" move doesn't work anymore for him. But also consider that on one of the few plays where Seattle tried to get the ball out quickly vs. the Rams, it ended up being a pick 6 lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I agree with this, he definitely holds onto it too long, especially given the state of his OL and his own athleticism. That whole "run backwards and turn to the left" move doesn't work anymore for him. But also consider that on one of the few plays where Seattle tried to get the ball out quickly vs. the Rams, it ended up being a pick 6 lol

Yeah, I'm a huge hater of tunnel screens in the NFL for a variety of reasons. Teams that use that as a press man/cover 2 beater are asking for that. I'm talking about more drag routes, hitches, slants, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I'm a huge hater of tunnel screens in the NFL for a variety of reasons. Teams that use that as a press man/cover 2 beater are asking for that. I'm talking about more drag routes, hitches, slants, etc.

Thing is, like I said, with the scheme deficiencies, they couldn't even do that because teams were jumping those routes because Seattle didn't change anything from week 1 to week 16. This is a good example of Wilson reading the coverage pre-snap, checking to what theoretically would be a play to beat it, but defenses know exactly what is coming so they just send a guy right to where Wilson's quick read is, and destroy the play anyways:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

Carroll obviously lost it when Russ had many turnovers vs the Bills and we started to run on first down more and more. Russ was bad yes (horrible even, not seeing wide open wr) but we didnt help him, we were predictable. 

Schotty is a mediocre OC who deserved it, ok. HOWEVER, Pete is just going to hire someone to run even more on first downs, putting Russ on 3rd and long like we were back in 2019. Thats painful to hear tbh.

Carroll lost it with Wilson’s turnovers? Anthony Lynn would be the perfect OC for Carroll then lol.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Thing is, like I said, with the scheme deficiencies, they couldn't even do that because teams were jumping those routes because Seattle didn't change anything from week 1 to week 16. This is a good example of Wilson reading the coverage pre-snap, checking to what theoretically would be a play to beat it, but defenses know exactly what is coming so they just send a guy right to where Wilson's quick read is, and destroy the play anyways:

 

This play cracks me up. DK and Lockett are pretty much decoys clearing out. The main reads are Carlos Hyde behind the LOS and Jacob Hollister on a delayed route. I guess the design was to get the Rams defense to over commit right leaving Hollister open, but like, the RCB doesnt have a single offensive player come near his responsibility. Of course he is going to see Hollister and react quickly.

This play is ok on 3rd and 3 or whatever. I believe this play was 3rd and 8. NEVER HAD A CHANCE.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, animaltested said:

This play cracks me up. DK and Lockett are pretty much decoys clearing out. The main reads are Carlos Hyde behind the LOS and Jacob Hollister on a delayed route. I guess the design was to get the Rams defense to over commit right leaving Hollister open, but like, the RCB doesnt have a single offensive player come near his responsibility. Of course he is going to see Hollister and react quickly.

This play is ok on 3rd and 3 or whatever. I believe this play was 3rd and 8. NEVER HAD A CHANCE.

Yeah it was 3rd and long, and even if Hollister catches it (he doesn't), he's gonna get tackled well short of the 1st down. The real key for me here was watching what the one LB does when he jumps underneath of Lockett's route. That's such a weird spot for him to get to that it had to be the result of film and tendencies where he just runs to that spot and OH LOOK now he's taken away Wilson's first read!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Multifaceted issue IMO.

For one thing, Seattle played the number on defense three times in their last 9 games.

They had bad offensive games against us three times - but almost every team that we played did - and then bad against the Giants. Their worst game after that was against Washington, who also had a really good defense.

The Rams have played Seattle and Wilson well for years, it was always going to be worse when we actually had a great defense. Other than that? Their offense was fine. Wilson came down to earth from regression to the mean standpoint, but their offense was fine.

Carroll is going to take Russ out of the kitchen and I'm wondering if he'll end up asking for a trade.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Another thread of great Seahawks play designs:

 

This one looks kinda on Carson. Cutback was there (sorta) Piss poor block by Hollister on the back end, and Lewis coming off his combo block late, probably ends in a tackle near the LOS though. 

Iupati/Simmons performance just wasn't going to allow much success. Banged up Duane Brown picked an awful time to have his worst game of the year too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...