Jump to content

Chuck Pagano retired


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

There is no doubt a lot of coaching talent within the building defensively...just a case of do any of these guys have a feel for play calling.

This is true.  One of the other beat writers, I think it was Biggs, brought up Sean Desai as a potential DC candidate.  Said that Fangio wanted to take him over to Broncos when he left but Bears blocked the move.  He's been with the Bears since 2013 and has survived multiple staffs so that must mean they are really high on him.

Apparently he is a really bright mind, and has earned a PHD if that's worth anything. 

I think to be a good D coordinator in today's NFL you need to think outside the box and be innovative.  Desai could just be a guy to be able to do that for us.

Also speaking of Jay Rodgers, I didn't know he used to be a college QB and coach offense in addition to being a d-line coach.  That can go a long way when knowing how to play against opposing QB's.

Personally I think the internal options for DC are more intriguing than what's currently out there right now.  Guys like James Bettcher and Kris Richard are cool names but you also have to wonder why both are unemployed right now.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This is true.  One of the other beat writers, I think it was Biggs, brought up Sean Desai as a potential DC candidate.  Said that Fangio wanted to take him over to Broncos when he left but Bears blocked the move.  He's been with the Bears since 2013 and has survived multiple staffs so that must mean they are really high on him.

Apparently he is a really bright mind, and has earned a PHD if that's worth anything. 

I think to be a good D coordinator in today's NFL you need to think outside the box and be innovative.  Desai could just be a guy to be able to do that for us.

Also speaking of Jay Rodgers, I didn't know he used to be a college QB and coach offense in addition to being a d-line coach.  That can go a long way when knowing how to play against opposing QB's.

Personally I think the internal options for DC are more intriguing than what's currently out there right now.  Guys like James Bettcher and Kris Richard are cool names but you also have to wonder why both are unemployed right now.

Kris Richard is unemployed bc the Cowboys are stupid.  He was a hot HC name a couple years ago when his defense was top 5 with the same guys they have today minus Byron Jones.  Their personnel has gotten better and the defense worse.

Jay Rodgers is who I'm stumping for.  I could see Staley hiring him away as DC if he gets an HC gig this offseason.  He has arguably done the best coaching job since he got here.  We invested capital and money in Goldman and Hicks.  Nichols was a 5th round pick, RRH was a udfa OLB.  Every guy we put out there on the DL does his job and seems to play better here than they do anywhere else.  As for Desai, I've heard lots of good things and the SS replacements have fared well here, but why is Eddie Jackson suddenly unable to catch a ball or make a tackle.  Probably not Desai's fault, but it gives me pause.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a good position coach does not make you a good coordinator. They are literally totally different jobs.

What if Jay Rodgers is a bad DC and our DL gets worse because he isn’t working with them everyday?

Leave Jay Rodgers where he is. Pay him more. Hire someone who has called plays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Being a good position coach does not make you a good coordinator. They are literally totally different jobs.

What if Jay Rodgers is a bad DC and our DL gets worse because he isn’t working with them everyday?

Leave Jay Rodgers where he is. Pay him more. Hire someone who has called plays.

If Jay Rodgers is bad at his job then who cares they will all get fired next year (maybe), and if he is good then maybe he stays with the next coach. Your reasoning is literally why so many coaches get recycled year after year.

Edited by blkwdw13
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blkwdw13 said:

If Jay Rodgers is bad at his job then who cares they will all get fired next year (maybe), and if he is good then maybe he stays with the next coach.

They care and they are making the decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites

James Bettcher is being talked about by Biggs as a name to watch. He didn't do the best most recently in his stint with the Giants but was solid with AZ and worked under both Bowles and Pagano before who have obviously ties to Nagy.  Also said he worked as a consultant for the Bears this year. Probably will be the guy if I had to put money on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

James Bettcher is being talked about by Biggs as a name to watch. He didn't do the best most recently in his stint with the Giants but was solid with AZ and worked under both Bowles and Pagano before who have obviously ties to Nagy.  Also said he worked as a consultant for the Bears this year. Probably will be the guy if I had to put money on it.

IIRC Bettcher is a big believer in a lot of blitzing

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

James Bettcher is being talked about by Biggs as a name to watch. He didn't do the best most recently in his stint with the Giants but was solid with AZ and worked under both Bowles and Pagano before who have obviously ties to Nagy.  Also said he worked as a consultant for the Bears this year. Probably will be the guy if I had to put money on it.

That is always an interesting development with guys who were out of football for a year and gives him a big leg up...for me this defence has all the pieces to be elite...get Goldman back...Quinn & Hicks fully healthy...JJ healthy and in year two...Roquan should recover just fine...add Nichols who played better and better...Mack who will always be Mack...Fuller & Jackson in the secondary and even the young options at nickleback looking good...outside of Danny T and ILB depth behind him we should be quality...what DC wouldn't want to come here putting aside the "lame duck situation" back yourself and work with elite talent...

Bettcher uses a multi front scheme that is really good but I think it's the type of scheme that could take time to perfect.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we promote from within, which with the job security this entire organization has (or should have), Sean Desai is my pick. He's been through it with the team and is a VERY smart individual. leave rodgers at DL coach and let him continue to do his thing - maybe make him associate DC with a pay raise to keep him happy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

IIRC Bettcher is a big believer in a lot of blitzing

Yeah I saw an article yesterday that said his Cards teams were in the top five blitzing Defenses in the NFL each year. He's also had some good success against Aaron Rodger FWIW

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, WindyCity said:

Being a good position coach does not make you a good coordinator. They are literally totally different jobs.

But you never find that out until they're given a chance. Every coordinator starts out as a position coach. Just because they haven't called plays before doesn't mean they can't.

Ex. Lovie Smith had never called plays until Martz signed him and those 3 years with the Rams earned him a HC job. 

Saleh (who everyone is clamoring for) had never called plays until Shanny brought him in 4 years ago and now he's up for a HC job. I could go on and on with examples. That's how football works. 

This typical doom and gloom Windy.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...