Chuck Pagano retired

JAF-N72EX

There's talk that if Brandon Staley gets a HC job this cycle, which is seeming pretty likely, then he will try to bring Jay Rodgers with him to form his defensive staff.

If that's the case then it sounds like either way we will need a new DL coach so if I'm Nagy I'd try and promote Jay Rodgers to DC and give him a nice pay raise now rather than risk losing him.  If Rodgers is promoted to DC he can still help coach up the DL.  I don't see a lot of risk here by Bears making this move.

• Like 1

So I didn't know Rodgers contract was up. If I had to guess then this means he's probably gone because he will likely get a more secure long term offer from a new HC that was just hired or is soon to be hired. 

Can't see why he'd choose the Bears when he'll likely be in demand and with the possibility that Bears  completely flush the coaching staff in 2022 

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

This DC is gonna be a new guy....not sure who but won't be anybody sexy....especially with this coaching and GM staff a little on the fence

Coordinator O or D for a lame duck HC and GM is a great way to end your career or set it back to position coach for the remainder.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Coordinator O or D for a lame duck HC and GM is a great way to end your career or set it back to position coach for the remainder.

Yep, which is why they'll have to promote from within. They already have people under contract so at least someone can boost their resume and if/when the staff gets fired they can at minimum get hired elsewhere as a position coach, if they do a good job they can be retained or a DC job elsewhere.

• Like 1

The Bears put in a request to interview Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon for defensive coordinator, a source told The Athletic.

No surprise to see us trying to poach off the Colts defensive staff...they have made a lot out of guys who weren't seen as stars...Gannon seems like a real up and comer.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:
The Bears put in a request to interview Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon for defensive coordinator, a source told The Athletic.

No surprise to see us trying to poach off the Colts defensive staff...they have made a lot out of guys who weren't seen as stars...Gannon seems like a real up and comer.

Heard they also put in a request to interview former Vikes DC George Edwards who is now with the Cowboys.

Nagy seems focused on hiring someone with experience from the Mike Zimmer defense.

42 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It should be Desai, so it won't be

For what it's worth former Bears OLB Sam Acho said Desai would be the smart choice if they promote from within because the guy is a genius and he has the respect of the players. That's good enough for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

For what it's worth former Bears OLB Sam Acho said Desai would be the smart choice if they promote from within because the guy is a genius and he has the respect of the players. That's good enough for me.

Just means it won't happen and he'll go some where else to become a DC.

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Heard they also put in a request to interview former Vikes DC George Edwards who is now with the Cowboys.

Nagy seems focused on hiring someone with experience from the Mike Zimmer defense.

Interesting that pretty much so all of Edwards experience has come in a 4-3 D...as usual I would expect or base to be a 4-2-5 but it could be a sign that Pace & Nagy know to get the best out of Quinn he need to be a downlinemen...Goldman on the nose...Hicks as a huge UT and you have our version of the Williams wall then Mack as a freelancer who can stand up or put his hand in the ground like he did in Oakland...keeps Roquan clean to run as well then much like the Vikes defence at there best load up on talented DBs...it could work.

I think the Bears need a more aggressive player caller on defense.

The guys who were 1 on 1 dominant in 2018 aren’t anymore.

We need a better scheme to get them free and in advantageous situations. That is the only way we squeeze some more life out of the front 7 specifically.