Chuck Pagano retired

JAF-N72EX

On 1/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, LuckyNumber11 said:

Resident Cardinals fan coming in peace. Hope Bettcher lands with you guys. Couldn’t have had much worse talent in NY and just knows how to draw up a blitz with the best of them. Think he’d be a real good fit for you guys. 

he's definitely on my short list. I agree with his scheme and blitzing - i feel like Pagano didn't do the best at putting our guys in the best position to succeed and really just tried to rely on them straight up winning.

I read something interesting on twitter that judging by the candidates that Nagy is looking at for DC it is believed that he is putting more of an emphasis on hiring a DC who understands how to disguise coverages similar to what Vic Fangio did so well during his time with Bears Niners etc and still does for Broncos.

This is why we are seeing him put in requests to interview guys like George Edwards, Jonathan Gannon and Aaron Glenn who all come from that background.

Also it is believed Bears will go back to base 4-3.

If that's all true then it's hard to see a guy like Bettcher being hired.

12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I read something interesting on twitter that judging by the candidates that Nagy is looking at for DC it is believed that he is putting more of an emphasis on hiring a DC who understands how to disguise coverages similar to what Vic Fangio did so well during his time with Bears Niners etc and still does for Broncos.

This is why we are seeing him put in requests to interview guys like George Edwards, Jonathan Gannon and Aaron Glenn who all come from that background.

Also it is believed Bears will go back to base 4-3.

If that's all true then it's hard to see a guy like Bettcher being hired.

So what exactly was Panagno's strength? It seemed like he played a standard zone rush the passer with the front four scheme.

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Glenn's the new DC in Detroit

Not surprised.  Dan Campbell was going to get his guy. 

I have a feeling that the new Bears DC will be George Edwards.  Pace interviewed him for the HC job right before he hired Nagy in 2018 so they are already familiar with him.

He has lots of experience from developing game plans and running the defense under Mike Zimmer for years in Minnesota, and had some good success with that Vikings especially with those guys in the secondary like Harrison Smith, Anthony Harris and Xavier Rhodes.

Although not flashy, it wouldn't be a bad hire by any means.

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

_OSJalSr17rUvfDXDEdfMGk5Ikg-bXVsRoQooSKw

To me it doesn't really make a difference how the front 7 looks since most D in today's NFL is played in sub packages.

I'm more concerned of the coverage schemes on the back end.  This team has a lot invested there and their so called all star safety didn't have such a good season in 2020.

Pagano called far too soft coverage for my liking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

To me it doesn't really make a difference how the front 7 looks since most D in today's NFL is played in sub packages.

I'm more concerned of the coverage schemes on the back end.  This team has a lot invested there and their so called all star safety didn't have such a good season in 2020.

Pagano called far too soft coverage for my liking.

The lineman are the BIG difference. There are talented 4-3 linemen all over the place. When you play a 3-4, it's a lot more scheme specific. 

Which is why the loss of Eddie Goldman crippled the Bears D last season. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The lineman are the BIG difference. There are talented 4-3 linemen all over the place. When you play a 3-4, it's a lot more scheme specific. 

Which is why the loss of Eddie Goldman crippled the Bears D last season. 

And the loss of Tommie and Tank crippled the Bears D in Lovie's Tampa 4-3 defense too. The loss of Donald would cripple the Rams defense too.

Losing Goldman hurt but after the first few games in the run game it wasn't crippling. We were still a top end defense.

Finding a good 1 or 2 gap NT who can penetrate the pocket in less than 3 seconds is VERY hard to find regardless of the scheme. They're a huge bonus in any defense, much like a very good safety is, but they're not essential.  TB losing Vea hurt them A LOT and that defense still showed up without him. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

18 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Finding a good 1 or 2 gap NT who can penetrate the pocket in less than 3 seconds is VERY hard to find regardless of the scheme. They're a huge bonus in any defense, much like a very good safety is, but they're not essential.  TB losing Vea hurt them A LOT and that defense still showed up without him. 

It's not the pass rush from a NT in the 3-4 (although a that helps), it's the ground they cover and the plays they make. 

We'll agree to disagree, I guess.