Bears DC Chuck Pagano to retire

pwny

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

50 years of no Super Bowl wins was enough for me in Minnesota.  I decided to gamble on a change of scenery that could hopefully develop into bigger and better things. 

Weirdly, had Jacksonville beat Minnesota, you might have ended up as a Jets fan or just stay with Minnesota haha

40 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Weirdly, had Jacksonville beat Minnesota, you might have ended up as a Jets fan or just stay with Minnesota haha

I never would have become a Jets fan.  I'm not a big fan of NYC, so that wasn't an option.  I was hoping the #1 pick would go to Jacksonville or Dallas (my favorite team when I was a kid).  Otherwise, I think you're right, I would have just stuck with the Vikings.  Da Bears are a favorite too, but they are in the same division, so that was kind of a lateral move and I wouldn't want to have to cheer against the Vikings twice a year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Watching Kirk Cousins finally broke him. He's recovering on some Trevor Lawrence. 

Hahaha.  Kirk is better than most people give him credit for.  Whether he has what it takes to win it all is another matter, but at least he isn't a dumpster fire anyway. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Bears lose Pagano

Bears keep Nagy, Trubisky and Pace

already a successful offseason :) 

You have to love being a Packers fan for the last 30 plus years, especially with how the Bears have done business in that time.

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I would too, it's probably frustrating to have some of your best work and have it go down the tube the last few years 

That wasnt Pagano's best work, at least I hope not.  The defense regressed across the board under him.  Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn combined for 12 sacks.  Roquan is probably the only player who got better.  I wish Chuck well, and he took on a task in which he was almost guaranteed to fail replacing Vic and taking over a historic defense, but make no mistake.  Chuck is retiring bc Chuck was probably getting fired.  The defense didnt turn the ball over, couldnt stop the run, and were continuously put in very bad positions.  Whenever they were missing one piece, they couldnt stop anybody.  Sure if the whole defense was healthy, they played well and looked dominant.  But it went from dominant to bad week to week.  

10 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That wasnt Pagano's best work, at least I hope not.  The defense regressed across the board under him.  Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn combined for 12 sacks.  Roquan is probably the only player who got better.  I wish Chuck well, and he took on a task in which he was almost guaranteed to fail replacing Vic and taking over a historic defense, but make no mistake.  Chuck is retiring bc Chuck was probably getting fired.  The defense didnt turn the ball over, couldnt stop the run, and were continuously put in very bad positions.  Whenever they were missing one piece, they couldnt stop anybody.  Sure if the whole defense was healthy, they played well and looked dominant.  But it went from dominant to bad week to week.  

Do you realize that part of the reason may be that the players felt that their efforts are for not? You have to think about the psychology of a player, if they don't believe in the QB or his ability to lead and put points on the board and you are always fighting from behind, that becomes frustrating to a player. A lot of you guys haven't played the game, this is a real thing, think about the job Pagano had to do just to motivate these guys knowing they damn near had to be perfect because the offense was going to give you little to nothing.

This situation is similar to Washington, the only difference is, Chicago has room full of veterans and Washington has a room full of kids who don't know any better. A veteran will shut it down on you in a heartbeat.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Do you realize that part of the reason may be that the players felt that their efforts are for not? You have to think about the psychology of a player, if they don't believe in the QB or his ability to lead and put points on the board and you are always fighting from behind, that becomes frustrating to a player. A lot of you guys haven't played the game, this is a real thing, think about the job Pagano had to do just to motivate these guys knowing they damn near had to be perfect because the offense was going to give you little to nothing.

This situation is similar to Washington, the only difference is, Chicago has room full of veterans and Washington has a room full of kids who don't know any better. A veteran will shut it down on you in a heartbeat.

Against GB the first time, the offense scored 25 points.  The defense gave up 41, the Lions game the offense scored 30 points, had a 10 point lead late in the 4th.  Lost the game.  Against Minny, the offense scored 33, the defense nearly blew that game.  When Nick Foles was in you could say the offense wasnt doing their job.  After Mitch came back the offense scored an avg of 31 ppg. The defense was still bad.  So no, you cant buy that excuse.