League source: Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy will be back in 2021

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yes, that's correct. Seeing the name jogged my memory. He thought they needed a 3rd string QB and sent a 5th round to some team and put Brett 3rd on the depth chart. 

According to Wolfe, the Jets had Favre #1 on their board but didnt have a 1st round pick.  Wolfe didnt think they had a shot him and was trying to trade into the 1st to get him.  After the 1st he fully believed they were to be able to get him, the ATL snuck in right in front of them and they ended up w/ Browning Nagle.  

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

UDFA who, from what John Jurko says, refused to take reps in practice.  

Atlanta thought they had fleeced GB on that trade.  They thought he was terrible.  He was absolutely a bust in ATL.  

I'd argue ATL's staff was incompetent, not that he actually was a bust. Splitting hairs, but I'd guess you and I both wouldnt call any of our draft picks here a bust after one season. Even if I dislike the pick like I did Kmet I'd still completely acknowledge the jump in competiti ok n level and actual skill development needed for the transition from college to pro. 

one good thing about this coaching hire/firing season is that even though we kept pace/nagy, my top options at GM and HC didn't get hired this rotation - Rick Smith/Louis Riddick and Brian Daboll. We can get them after next season!

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

one good thing about this coaching hire/firing season is that even though we kept pace/nagy, my top options at GM and HC didn't get hired this rotation - Rick Smith/Louis Riddick and Brian Daboll. We can get them after next season!

True but I believe Eagles are interested in Daboll and we also don't know what Houston will do. Daboll has connections to Caserio the new Texans GM 

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Why are people clamoring for Riddick or Daboll? 

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm meh on Riddick but Daboll is getting a lot of credit for Allen's development. In his first season with Daboll calling, Allen threw 10 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. The following two seasons combined? A 57 to 19 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Dude has 25 rushing TDs on top of that and 1500 rushing yards too (all three years combined, not just the last two). Yes adding talent was critical but he outperformed Jackson's MVP season.  Coming from an undeveloped QB with crazy potential it's messy to see his explosion to bring a top QB.

While Allen had freakish tools it isnt hard to find athletic QBs, some think he could really develop them and use their athleticism as another weapon rather than a crutch to support mediocre passing ability.  For people not getting Lawrence that's a gamble that's potentially worth taking.  

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not sure about Riddick but Daboll is being credited with developing Josh Allen. He was also the OC for the 2018 Alabama team that won the National Championship.

Overall his career has been mixed but he's coached a lot of bad teams and has had mild success in improving them.

And interestingly Daboll coached current Bears WR coach Mike Furrey.

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Have you not watched any Buffalo games this year? Yes, Allen has a rocket arm and looks great in shorts, but the work Daboll has done with him is impressive. Additionally, what the plays, scheme, and mismatches that are created by Daboll's playcalling - it's far more condusive to success than whatever Nagy tries to run.

As far as Riddick goes, I think he's an exceptionally well spoken, thoughtful, and experienced individual. He played in the league, then became a scout after his playing days were over. He then transitioned to TV and has done an excellent job of understanding the league and the players in in. Because he has dipped his toes in all sorts of areas in the league, he would have a greater understanding of things. just my thoughts

• Like 3
11 hours ago, topwop1 said:

True but I believe Eagles are interested in Daboll and we also don't know what Houston will do. Daboll has connections to Caserio the new Texans GM 

I haven't heard of the Eagles interest in Daboll at all, and I don't believe i read anything about Houston interviewing him

@Sugashane @abstract_thought @HuskieBear

I give Daboll some credit for working with Allen's mechanics and fixing what seemed impossible to fix, but let's not act like Dorsey didn't have a hand in that either and act as if Daboll is some sort of QB guru. 

As far as play-calling. Are you guys really anointing him after 2 years?  Remember last year when everyone was in awe of Greg Roman and Harbaugh's offense for the same reasons being given to Daboll?  I do. How did that work? The passing game took a major dive this year after he used a heavy set offense last season that hadn't been used in the NFL since the mid-90's and made it work by surprising teams. After he lost his TEs, he was dumbfounded. He found a way to make it work for one single season but it was not sustainable.

Remember when Adam Gase "fixed Cutler and the offense" and he suddenly became the next "QB guru" and "great OC"? I do.  How did that work? Was it his great coaching/scheme that elevated Cutler and our offense? Or was it just Gase catching lightening in a bottle that made him one of the highest coaching prospects at the time. 

I'm not convinced that Daboll doesn't fall somewhere between Gase and Roman. 

10 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

As far as Riddick goes, I think he's an exceptionally well spoken, thoughtful, and experienced individual. He played in the league, then became a scout after his playing days were over. He then transitioned to TV and has done an excellent job of understanding the league and the players in in. Because he has dipped his toes in all sorts of areas in the league, he would have a greater understanding of things. just my thoughts

Have you listened to him on TV? He literally called a 30 yard pass down field as intentional grounding, and was hammering for a DPI on a player who wasn't even targeted. And both of these happened in two separate games.

Those are just some of the examples that come to mind from this year because they're fresh. I'm sure there are many more.  I mean, as fans, we're watching the same game as he and even we can catch this stuff. What does that say about him?

For a guy who is supposedly so in-tuned with the NFL he sure as hell doesn't show it. The man doesn't even understand the basic rules of the game.  That just doesn't sound like someone I want to take over at a prime position. 

We anointed Nagy after 6 games.

Daboll would be a great HC option. His 2 years in Buffalo speak for themselves. His time at Bama was also good.

Greg Roman is fine. They got a lot done with smoke and mirrors in the passing game last year.

This year he lost a HOF OG an All Pro LT, and their #2 and #3 TEs in a TE heavy offense.

When you lose that personnel and your WRs suck your QB and offense will regress.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We anointed Nagy after 6 games.

Daboll would be a great HC option. His 2 years in Buffalo speak for themselves. His time at Bama was also good.

Greg Roman is fine. They got a lot done with smoke and mirrors in the passing game last year.

This year he lost a HOF OG an All Pro LT, and their #2 and #3 TEs in a TE heavy offense.

When you lose that personnel and your WRs suck your QB and offense will regress.

Bama didn't get any better with him and certainly didn't lose any sleep without him. 

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Bama didn't get any better with him and certainly didn't lose any sleep without him. 

Bama constantly has a top recruiting class and has possibly the best college coach of all time. Saban could hire one of us to run their offense and the team is still going to do well. Should we talk about how well KC has done offensively since Nagy left? Lol. These are over-generalized statements. 

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

@Sugashane @abstract_thought @HuskieBear

I give Daboll some credit for working with Allen's mechanics and fixing what seemed impossible to fix, but let's not act like Dorsey didn't have a hand in that either and act as if Daboll is some sort of QB guru. 

As far as play-calling. Are you guys really anointing him after 2 years?  Remember last year when everyone was in awe of Greg Roman and Harbaugh's offense for the same reasons being given to Daboll?  I do. How did that work? The passing game took a major dive this year after he used a heavy set offense last season that hadn't been used in the NFL since the mid-90's and made it work by surprising teams. After he lost his TEs, he was dumbfounded. He found a way to make it work for one single season but it was not sustainable.

Remember when Adam Gase "fixed Cutler and the offense" and he suddenly became the next "QB guru" and "great OC"? I do.  How did that work? Was it his great coaching/scheme that elevated Cutler and our offense? Or was it just Gase catching lightening in a bottle that made him one of the highest coaching prospects at the time. 

I'm not convinced that Daboll doesn't fall somewhere between Gase and Roman. 

I get being a skeptic, especially when their success had been rather brief but at least they had success on their own accord instead of being nothing more than a Reid puppet. I'd feel infinitely more comfortable with Roman or Daboll than Nagy, who I feel is a sub .500 quality HC that just was lucky enough to have the defense carry him so far. 

Daboll did more in either of the last seasons than Nagy has done in his career offensively. Tru has actually declined under him (outside of argualble ARob and Monty who hasnt on offense over the last 2-3 years?), Allen has been better than almost any QB while you even mentioned he was fixing what seemed impossible. In the postseason they scored more in the wildcard than Nagy has in 2 postseason appearances combined. 

As for the Ravens offense it has completely outshone the Bears again so the "decline" is still better than our 2018 season - the outlier that was propped with 5 defensive TDs iirc. So how incompetent is Nagy that they are apparently using a gimmick offense that is unsustainable and dealing with some major injuries to critical players for that scheme and they STILL were better than Nagy's beat? With Marquise Brown, Mark Andrew's and Willie Snead they still threw for 1 more TD than Chicago this season and was more efficient. That's while being able to almost double our rushing total. They also handily beat us in total yards, so I'll take their down year. It would be the Ninth Symphony of Nagy's career. I mean let's be real, Nagy wouldnt have been able to do near as much as Daboll or Roman in their shoes. If were comparing Gase, Daboll and Roman, let's bring Loggains back because I'm not sure he couldn't have done the same with the talent Nagy has had. 

7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm not advocating for Daboll, just throwing out what others are saying.

Nobody is anointing him after 2 years. His career has been much longer than that. He's just worked for a lot of really bad teams.

Exactly. It would likely be a very boom or bust hiring. But at least he has the recent body of work to warrant that swing and it is more than only 6 games of playcalling, and I'd much rather take that swing for upside than something safe with a low ceiling. I think of Jim Caldwell when I think of that conservative kind of move.