League source: Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy will be back in 2021

2 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

This was the dreaded worst case scenario of us making the playoffs 

This was the nightmare scenario. Beating 3 bad teams somehow made a 6 game losing streak and getting *** kicked by 2 good teams disappear.

I thought getting smashed by the Packers and scoring 3 points against the Saints would make this obvious, but the McCaskeys are dumber than even I imagined.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This was the nightmare scenario. Beating 3 bad teams somehow made a 6 game losing streak and getting *** kicked by 2 good teams disappear.

I thought getting smashed by the Packers and scoring 3 points against the Saints would make this obvious, but the McCaskeys are dumber than even I imagined.

I'm not sure we can honestly say that making the playoffs even saved their jobs because if the Cardinals won and they didn't qualify like they did, they likely still would have pointed to the 8-8 record saying it wasn't a losing season and that they still believe in these guys.

George probably made up his mind a few weeks ago that he wasn't moving on barring a catastrophic collapse after that 6 game losing streak.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm not sure we can honestly say that making the playoffs even saved their jobs because if the Cardinals won and they didn't qualify like they did, they likely still would have pointed to the 8-8 record saying it wasn't a losing season and that they still believe in these guys.

George probably made up his mind a few weeks ago that he wasn't moving on barring a catastrophic collapse after that 6 game losing streak.

I do not know how you look at this team and see what George and Ted see.

8-8 after an "all in" offseason. A 6 game losing streak. Getting smacked around by the Packers.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not know how you look at this team and see what George and Ted see.

8-8 after an "all in" offseason. A 6 game losing streak. Getting smacked around by the Packers.

It's likely because they are not a complete dumpster fire like in year's past and they clearly are enamored with both Pace & Nagy.

There's also the angle that they fear they will make decision that will leave the franchise worse off than it currently is.  

If the team is mediocre or bad again next year then they will likely move on from both at that point but if they actually do well and make a strong playoff push then they will look like geniuses.  Low risk high reward in their eyes.

At the end of the day it will all center on what they do at QB.  For as much as I rag on Nagy I am hoping that his involvement in the scouting process this time around will produce a better result. 

Edited by topwop1
3 minutes ago, Pool said:

I just don't care anymore. What a depressing day.

I did not have a lot of faith in the McCaskeys before this. I have none now.

We will tread around in mediocrity until finally the defense gets too old to hold them up and then we will reset.

Just now, topwop1 said:

It's likely because they are not a complete dumpster fire like in year's past and they clearly are enamored with both Pace & Nagy.

There's also the angle that they fear they will make decision that will leave the franchise worse off than it currently is.  

If the team is mediocre or bad again next year then they will likely move on from both at that point but if they actually do well and make a strong playoff push then they will look like geniuses.  Low risk high reward in their eyes.

At the end of the day it will all center on what they do at QB.  That's the focus.

The bar needs to be higher than "not a complete dumpster fire".

Wasting years on hoping that the unrealistic happens is foolish.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The bar needs to be higher than "not a complete dumpster fire".

Wasting years on hoping that the unrealistic happens is foolish.

I agree with you but again it all comes down to the QB.  They gotta invest their time and resources heavily there and hope to get lucky.

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

More culture talk.

Great culture. Except when it comes to winning.

Not watching, working, but LOL.  Their culture is only good in sense that players are not rebelling.

But they don't listen to coaches (Miller punch is exhibit A) and there is zero fear and little accountability for poor play or mistakes.

I don't like how this team practices in offseason and training camp.   There is not an emphasis on fundamentals and I see little on field teaching going on.   Just lackadaisical reps and non tackling scrimmages.   

Young players don't generally improve under this staff.   They come in good or bad and stay same or regress.

Roquan was good as a rookie, regressed and got better again this season.  

Miller, Wims, and Ridley have not improved from day 1.

MT has not improved.

Whitehair has not improved.

Coward has not developed after position switch after showing some promise early.   

Montgomery is same as day 1 which is good.

Mooney is same as day 1 which is good.

Jackson is regressing.

J. Johnson came in good from day 1.

Floyd seems to be improving with another staff, ditto with Shaheen.

Daniels was arguably best as a 20 year old rookie which is crazy.   He did look good in some games this year.  

Nichols played just as good as a rookie.

Shelley should be better than he is at this point given his college tape IMO.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I agree with you but again it all comes down to the QB.  They gotta invest their time and resources heavily there and hope to get lucky.

Why should anyone have faith in them to get that right?

Just now, WindyCity said:

Why should anyone have faith in them to get that right?

I don't think anyone has much faith in them to get it right.

All we can really do is watch what they do and hope they get it right.

Get ya popcorn ready..at least this offseason should be entertaining 😄

johnny manziel GIF

I think management doesn't know what to look for in a HC and GM because they don't know what is good or bad themselves.   

They throw darts every 4-5 years based on recs and hope to get lucky.   This time around they gave up and hired someone to do it and still failed.  

Pace and Nagy are good football guys, but they lack key elements.

Pace makes the genius move with a mid round nobody who can play or a cheap FA everyone forgot about, but misses or over spends on too many big moves. 

Nagy doesn't teach fundamentals well or enforce fear and accountability amongst his players. 

If it all comes down to QB why did Seattle look like garbage down stretch?

Why do Detroit and Atlanta suck most years?   Why is Green Bay mediocre most years?

Why are Texans terrible?

You may be able to cite all these reasons why in each case, but Bears would be no different.   

It doesn't all come down to QB.    You need a good or adequate O line and D line, a decent secondary, some explosive playmakers and good coaching.