League source: Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy will be back in 2021

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Hands down the best quote from today

"Have we gotten the quarterback situation right? No. Have we won enough games? No. But everything else is there."

It’s about the friends we’ve made along the way.

• Like 2

I do think while Pace has made large blunders they aren't that much larger than majority of GMs and better than most.

I don't love job Pace has done by any means, but I think bad coaching has made him look worse than he is.   

But that is his fault since he picked coaches.

I believe if Belichick stepped back and just coached and let Pace pick all his players Pace would look much, much better.   Bellichick would get so much more out of them.

Belichick is subpar at picking players overall.   He just is great at development and coaching.  

55 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Hands down the best quote from today

"Have we gotten the quarterback situation right? No. Have we won enough games? No. But everything else is there."

@CBears019

LOL, as if they are a QB away in 2021.

They have no WR, TE or RB depth, and OL is still subpar   Plus you need a QB without a top 8 pick and an aging washed up FA market.

And how would you get that QB who could supposedly make this difference?  Who?  At what cost?

If every single defender returned and stayed 100% healthy and played to absolute best of their ability at their peak they could have a truly great defense.   All those ifs makes that highly unlikely.

Offense even if everyone returned is sub par.   You need like massive 5 upgrades at key, rare, positions without resources to do so.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If it all comes down to QB why did Seattle look like garbage down stretch?

Why do Detroit and Atlanta suck most years?   Why is Green Bay mediocre most years?

Why are Texans terrible?

You may be able to cite all these reasons why in each case, but Bears would be no different.   

It doesn't all come down to QB.    You need a good or adequate O line and D line, a decent secondary, some explosive playmakers and good coaching.  

Since when has GB been mediocre outside maybe a few seasons in the past 15 years since they've had Rodgers?

But good point it's not ALL about the QB.  Nagy is also a problem IMO but a really good QB would mask a lot of his deficiencies.  Mitch was too raw of a prospect to entrust Nagy in developing into something special.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The standard for the Bears is not winning.

The standard is not embarrassing the franchise.

Until that changes and the bar gets raised we are not going anywhere.

But you likely need to tank and be embarrassing for a time to rebuild a team.

They did it one time in Pace rookie year.   Then he took his QB without his coach on board and wasted an important season of development.   

If it was me and I had a coach forced on me I  would have tanked again and went QB with my coach in place.  Would it have worked out with Pace?   Probably not.   We'd likely be sitting here with Mayfield or Rosen and making same complaints.

Mayfield would be viewed as a huge bust had he been drafted by Bears.  No way he survives behind that O line.   Rosen would have busted anywhere I think.   

Darnold I still think is a talented dude.  Not sure went wrong there.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Since when has GB been mediocre outside maybe a few seasons in the past 15 years since they've had Rodgers?

But good point it's not ALL about the QB.  Nagy is also a problem IMO but a really good QB would mask a lot of his deficiencies.  Mitch was too raw of a prospect to entrust Nagy in developing into something special.

My definition of good is being a contender for championship.   Most years GB has been decent to good record wise, but not a contender. 

Last year for example they were what 14-3? but still miles from KC or SF and not true contenders.    They were just filler.   

GB is a true contender this season IMO however.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

My definition of good is being a contender for championship.   Most years GB has been decent to good record wise, but not a contender. 

Last year for example they were what 14-3? but still miles from KC or SF and not true contenders.    They were just filler.   

Same was true for us in 2018 btw and even our recent SB year.    I never gave us a real chance against Indy and Manning.   We were lucky to be there.

'85 was last season we were elite and before that you have to go all the way back to Sid Luckman.   

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So what exactly changed with GB this off season that elevated them from non-contenders last year to contenders this year?

It's pretty much the exact same starting roster that is contributing to their success.

• Like 1
Just now, topwop1 said:

So what exactly changed with GB this off season that elevated them from non-contenders last year to contenders this year?

It's pretty much the exact same starting roster that is contributing to their success.

Every year is different even with many of same players.  Each season you are a little or a lot different, you never stay same.

Rodgers is playing waayyy better and within structure  is number one thing.    Adams is peaking.   TE has developed big time.   Secondary is playing much better.      

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Exactly...people far too often demand change...some of those teams who change the most also happen to be some of the worst ran teams in the NFL...actually in all sports for that matter.