Marty Hurney hired as WFT GM

A TRAIN 89

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I think the more interesting question is do you want the best WR in football for 9 years, the best LT in football for 11 years, or the top HB in football for probably a 10 year period (plus still going).  I would probably still take Johnson but I think Joe Thomas is debatable.  

Very fair. It's so easy to forget that 2019 offseason into 2020 with the unknown of LT was very weird for us. The long staple of having LT shored up between Williams and Samuels for so long was a blessing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

They actually got a lot of crap for taking Johnson because that was during that run when they took 3 WRs in the top 10 picks.  Also don't forget they passed on Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson to take Calvin Johnson.

Johnson was the best player in the class and I know you could say Thomas but Calvin was a seriously special player coming out. Johnson is still one of the highest rated players I’ve ever graded and it wasn’t just because I was young but that’s who I would have taken if I was Oakland that year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Johnson was the best player in the class and I know you could say Thomas but Calvin was a seriously special player coming out. Johnson is still one of the highest rated players I’ve ever graded and it wasn’t just because I was young but that’s who I would have taken if I was Oakland that year

Yeah, Johnson was the biggest reason Detroit of all places made won double digit games within 4 years, w/ a 10-6 record once under Schwartz and an 11-5 season under Caldwell who the Lions should’ve never fired.

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

They actually got a lot of crap for taking Johnson because that was during that run when they took 3 WRs in the top 10 picks.  Also don't forget they passed on Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson to take Calvin Johnson.

6 teams passed in Adrian Peterson bc generally running backs don’t go that high. How dumb do the Raiders look today bc they didn’t take Thomas or Megatron, the Bucs w/ Brice Allen & Jon Gruden who took Gaines Adam’s over Peterson and the Cardinals who took Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson?

Wow 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Makes sense, as I said in the other thread maybe Hurney will have an AJ Smith type role for when Bruce brought him on in 2013 as a Senior Executive/consultant to him. Maybe Hurney will just be that for Rivera.

Edited by turtle28

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

When Hurney was hired all of the reporters were saying they expected a 2nd FO person to be hired. 

Hurney was being reported as the GM. It was reported by multiple sources that a deal was being finalized. I don’t even think Hurney is in the organization yet so I wonder if all the negativity pushed them in a different direction. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Hurney was being reported as the GM. It was reported by multiple sources that a deal was being finalized. I don’t even think Hurney is in the organization yet so I wonder if all the negativity pushed them in a different direction. 

Its possible the 49ers tried to block a lateral move and Washington had to give Mayhew a promotion in order to hire him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This reminds me of the Fassell hire. They leaked it and it got pummeled by everyone so they went in a different direction. 

I think local media assumed Hurney would be the GM bc he was just the GM in Carolina and he and Rivera were close.