Marty Hurney hired as WFT GM

A TRAIN 89

Was there ever really any doubt?

The lesser-known guys were probably interviewing to replace Kyle Smith when he leaves after the draft. Can make them “VP of player personnel” instead of “player personnel director,” which I guess constitutes as a promotion. 

Rivera and Hurney worked together in Carolina from 2017 to 2019. Go ahead and look at their drafts compared to what we’ve been doing recently, and then ask again why people are concerned. They’ve generally hit on their top picks, so I guess it could be worse — but they were abysmal at finding anything after round 2 or so. 

I think we’ll all hold on to hope that this is going to be something of a temporary mentorship type deal, where Hurney comes home to the DC area to work with an old buddy and close out his career, with one of his express goals being to show Kyle Smith the ropes in terms of the various responsibilities of a GM that go beyond scouting and picking out players. That would be cool. But I was a Redskins fan for a long time, and I don’t know that I believe the Washington Football Team is that different from what it once was. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And this is why I never wanted Rivera hired in the first place. I’d much rather be sitting here today with KOC as headcoach and Kyle Smith as GM. I guess the team name changing was our out as fans and we should’ve took it. 

That would have been a disaster.  As much as you might hate Rivera he at least can keep Dan out of the draft room.  Dan would have ran all over those two.  

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Was there ever really any doubt?

The lesser-known guys were probably interviewing to replace Kyle Smith when he leaves after the draft. Can make them “VP of player personnel” instead of “player personnel director,” which I guess constitutes as a promotion. 

Rivera and Hurney worked together in Carolina from 2017 to 2019. Go ahead and look at their drafts compared to what we’ve been doing recently, and then ask again why people are concerned. They’ve generally hit on their top picks, so I guess it could be worse — but they were abysmal at finding anything after round 2 or so. 

Meanwhile, the guy they can't wait to run out of town, has been doing exactly that in his drafts.

I think we’ll all hold on to hope that this is going to be something of a temporary mentorship type deal, where Hurney comes home to the DC area to work with an old buddy and close out his career, with one of his express goals being to show Kyle Smith the ropes in terms of the various responsibilities of a GM that go beyond scouting and picking out players. That would be cool. But I was a Redskins fan for a long time, and I don’t know that I believe the Washington Football Team is that different from what it once was. 

Fish rots from the head down. The same head for both. 

I knew we'd WFT this move. I just did.

• Like 1

This article is from December but its telling:

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/what-is-exec-kyle-smiths-future-with-washington-football-team 

Rivera was asked about Smith again by Scott Abraham of ABC-7 on the same day in a one-on-one interview and the answers were less than warm.

When Abraham asked about the relationship between the two, Rivera said "The biggest thing is, we're doing our jobs," which is true and normal. 

"Kyle and his guys are doing a good job of keeping everything active," Rivera added while pointing out that they've needed a bunch of bodies shuffled in and out because of injuries. 

Abraham dug deeper, asking if the roster management was a tag-team effort or was it actually Smith doing the molding and shaping.

"Well I think the biggest thing is that it's a collaborative effort ... I've said this before, at the end of the day, we want to be able to agree with what we're going to do and how we're going to do it," Rivera said.  "We've gotta make sure that everybody is on the same page." 

If you're keeping score at home, that's now a couple of times that Rivera has mentioned that everyone has to be on "the same page,'' which leads to wondering if everyone is not. 

Abraham wasn't done with the line of questioning. He asked if Smith was on track to be a general manager for the Washington Football Team. 

Said Rivera: "I think it's fair to say that everything is being evaluated as we continue to go forward. We still have five weeks left to go in the regular season and then we're going to get into the offseason."

That's a non-answer answer, the way we see it. 

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This article is from December but its telling:

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/what-is-exec-kyle-smiths-future-with-washington-football-team 

Rivera was asked about Smith again by Scott Abraham of ABC-7 on the same day in a one-on-one interview and the answers were less than warm.

When Abraham asked about the relationship between the two, Rivera said "The biggest thing is, we're doing our jobs," which is true and normal. 

"Kyle and his guys are doing a good job of keeping everything active," Rivera added while pointing out that they've needed a bunch of bodies shuffled in and out because of injuries. 

Abraham dug deeper, asking if the roster management was a tag-team effort or was it actually Smith doing the molding and shaping.

"Well I think the biggest thing is that it's a collaborative effort ... I've said this before, at the end of the day, we want to be able to agree with what we're going to do and how we're going to do it," Rivera said.  "We've gotta make sure that everybody is on the same page." 

If you're keeping score at home, that's now a couple of times that Rivera has mentioned that everyone has to be on "the same page,'' which leads to wondering if everyone is not. 

Abraham wasn't done with the line of questioning. He asked if Smith was on track to be a general manager for the Washington Football Team. 

Said Rivera: "I think it's fair to say that everything is being evaluated as we continue to go forward. We still have five weeks left to go in the regular season and then we're going to get into the offseason."

That's a non-answer answer, the way we see it. 

Yup. So Rivera is the defacto GM/Team President/HeadCoach. 

Everyone needs to understand that anyone now hired is going to be answering to Ron. 

This is not going to end well.

• Like 1