Marty Hurney hired as WFT GM

A TRAIN 89

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. It is. But I would argue that the firing of Allen and bringing anyone in that had any sort of moral compass would bring respectability. Also, please watch the cursing.

I'm with you on all of that until you got to the bolded. We still do that now.

Congrats. Even a snake has a better moral compass than Allen. That's like saying "I'm the tallest of the seven dwarves". That being said, I do agree that his players raved about him as a coach. But that is as a coach. We're talking about handing over the entirety of an NFL franchise's football operations to him. Results are yet to be seen. 

I've seen this movie before. That guy with the hockey mask keeps coming back though.

Here we agree. Rivera is a much better head coach than Jay will ever hope to be. But is he Sleepy? Or Bashful? Which one is taller? As for KOC and Turner? Results are still out on that for me. We'll see in year 2 if Turner can get the guys he needs to run his offense.

I know where you're going with this so I'm gonna allow it. But tread carefully here and stop with the discussion of race.

We got rid of Allen. But he in essence got rid of himself with his record. And the scandals erupting will make anything look like it's better by comparison. (*)

Smith was part of that F.O. that got him. Also Scherff was drafted by a GM in a non-coach centric organization.

Which we took because we had the #2 pick. It was a no-brainer. Hardly something Rivera did here.

In a year where the division was a dumpster fire. It predictably cost us 9 spots in each round of the draft. One bright spot is maybe we found a backup QB. Yay?

This is what I was talking about when I said people would keep repeating "we won the division" as if we were in an actually tough division in 2020 and think it's automatically an indication that we're headed in the right direction. We've won divisions before in the last 20 years. Never has panned out the next season.

Maybe. Too soon to tell. Let's see them run it back next year. Let's see the leaks stop. Let's see every vestige of the way the Redskins did business under Snyder stop. Until we do, I have 20+ years of experience to fall back on that tells me that this season is fool's gold and to not expect anything positive to result from it.

Forgot my (*)

I used to have people tell me and my roommates to turn our music down in college when we were partying. My buddy would go over to the stereo and say "sorry man" and then act like he was turning the knob way down. He did one tick so they could see that it was not as loud by comparison. But he moved his hand to make it seem like it was turned down even lower. They'd leave and never come back, thinking that he had significantly turned the volume down. But he hadn't. 

They were happy because they felt like it was a significant change because they heard the music go down. Only it actually wasn't. Our parties were still loud. 

The point is that going from the Bruce Allen era was always going to be better by comparison as long as you didn't hire the same type of guy(s) to run things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Forgot my (*)

I used to have people tell me and my roommates to turn our music down in college when we were partying. My buddy would go over to the stereo and say "sorry man" and then act like he was turning the knob way down. He did one tick so they could see that it was not as loud by comparison. But he moved his hand to make it seem like it was turned down even lower. They'd leave and never come back, thinking that he had significantly turned the volume down. But he hadn't. 

They were happy because they felt like it was a significant change because they heard the music go down. Only it actually wasn't. Our parties were still loud. 

The point is that going from the Bruce Allen era was always going to be better by comparison as long as you didn't hire the same type of guy(s) to run things.

Well then hey why root for the team anymore man?  

Seriously, I'm tired of the we're always gone to suck crowd.  If you want to root for this team to lose every year so you can have a more fun mock draft than more power to you.  But stop crapping on the fans that want us to succeed by winning games. 

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hopefully Hurney can find us the next Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly & some late round steals like Josh Norman was. 

If he finds us a franchise QB, a franchise defensive talent at MLB & some late round steals we could become a Super Bowl contender w/in 5 years.

He's gonna need to do it in the first 2 rounds. His rap sheet is that he misses on players after that. Kyle on the other hand has been fairly good about getting the later round talent as well as the 1st rounders IMHO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Seriously, I'm tired of the we're always gone to suck crowd.  If you want to root for this team to lose every year so you can have a more fun mock draft than more power to you.  But stop crapping on the fans that want us to succeed by winning games. 

But dude, I want us to win. That’s why this hire pisses me off. 

• Like 2

Just now, lavar703 said:

But dude, I want us to win. That’s why this hire pisses me off. 

But as long as Kyle is here it’s still him working hand and hand with the scouting dept. I really think this is more of a grooming move honestly we’re talking about a 65 year old man. Kyle got 0 requests which tells me clearly he would be assumed not ready league wide and I believe Ron has to know more about that gauging assessment then is who are clearly in tune with each Kyle draft. But it takes more then being a draft ace. His dad had amazing draft sucsess and couldn’t retain players in their 2nd deals because he was frugal. So let’s see we have a chance to have a guy groom this guy to take over once he is groomed with contract langueage. Now if I was Hurney I’d make Kyle my assistant GM and that move would go a long way into saying that is the direction. The only way this is bad is if they were to not promote Kyle if a team requested a interview and they held tight with Hurney

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Don't go there. The fact that I'm not happy with this move is indicative that I care about this team. You think differently than me on this subject? That's cool. Doesn't mean I've a right to tell you to stop rooting for the team. Or vice versa.

Seriously, I'm tired of the we're always gone to suck crowd. 

I'm tired of the people who think every move is gold after only one iteration.  I want to see sustained results before I see that the franchise has been turned around. 

If you want to root for this team to lose every year so you can have a more fun mock draft than more power to you. 

Nope. Has nothing to do with having more fun with a mock draft. But I thank you for the strawman.

I've been consistent in what I want. I want what's best long-term for the team. IMHO, the only potential long-term benefit we got from losing that playoff game was to see Heinecke in action. That's it. 

But stop crapping on the fans that want us to succeed by winning games. 

Notice that I haven't:

1. Questioned your fandom/loyalty
  2. Ascribed bad motives to your points of view

I've simply state where I disagree. And I've done it on this open forum that we use to discuss football in general, and this team in particular. Not everyone is going to agree with you about things. And you don't get to tell them to stop rooting for the team because you can't handle someone else having a different view. It's called an open forum. We all get to have our say. I haven't attacked anyone personally. I've argued my points, at times, as gently and vociferously as you have. You taking my views for the best way to go forward for this franchise as personal attacks of "crapping on the fans..." is not my problem. It's yours.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

He's gonna need to do it in the first 2 rounds. His rap sheet is that he misses on players after that. Kyle on the other hand has been fairly good about getting the later round talent as well as the 1st rounders IMHO.

Josh Norman... not too shabby 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We've been told Washington could hire two executives and the working plan as of Monday night centered around the two favorites who we wrote about two weeks ago, with Martin Mayhew another key name. 

It seems that Rivera is smartly insulating himself with extra eyes and bodies along with a wealth of experience. The WFT was woefully under-staffed in 2020 in the eyes of the boss, and Rivera said many things on the record about that. ......

This is written pretty poorly, so I can’t be 100% sure what they’re trying to say, but...

Hiring two former GMs at the same time seems to be about as classically Redskins as you can get. Especially when the guy who was in charge of personnel until today (Smith) is still here. And another guy (Stokes) who you apparently interviewed for the GM job is also still here. Nothing says “imminent power struggle” more than multiple guys who want the same job, and believed they’re qualified for it, jockeying for spots in the FO pecking order under the head coach. 

It’s also just a bit of a dull thud to go through this whole far-reaching process with all those interviews — and end up with a guy who was fired twice by Carolina and another guy who was fired by Detroit. The best we can come up with is two older guys who once had top jobs and got canned because they couldn’t meet the (famously lofty) Carolina/Detroit standards? Yikes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

But as long as Kyle is here it’s still him working hand and hand with the scouting dept. I really think this is more of a grooming move honestly we’re talking about a 65 year old man. Kyle got 0 requests which tells me clearly he would be assumed not ready league wide and I believe Ron has to know more about that gauging assessment then is who are clearly in tune with each Kyle draft. But it takes more then being a draft ace. His dad had amazing draft sucsess and couldn’t retain players in their 2nd deals because he was frugal. So let’s see we have a chance to have a guy groom this guy to take over once he is groomed with contract langueage. Now if I was Hurney I’d make Kyle my assistant GM and that move would go a long way into saying that is the direction. The only way this is bad is if they were to not promote Kyle if a team requested a interview and they held tight with Hurney

GM's don't groom their replacements. If so, this would be the first time that I can remember it happening. Can it happen your way? Maybe. But right now my money is on the 2 decades of this organization screwing things up.

One way to potentially keep Kyle a bit longer is to do the bolded. We agree there. But still, if I'm Kyle, I know the writing is on the wall, and I'm taking my talents elsewhere. Now, you are correct that the job is more than just being a draft ace. But to not interview him? Like I said, that's bad pool no matter where you work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Already mentioned that using Norman isn't the "win" you might think it is. He was good for about 2-3 years.

It's also one name across 13 seasons (and probably, what, 60 something picks)? Every Carolina fan is reiterating he doesn't hit on his picks past the first round. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is written pretty poorly, so I can’t be 100% sure what they’re trying to say, but...

Hiring two former GMs at the same time seems to be about as classically Redskins as you can get. Especially when the guy who was in charge of personnel until today (Smith) is still here. And another guy (Stokes) who you apparently interviewed for the GM job is also still here. Nothing says “imminent power struggle” more than multiple guys who want the same job, and believed they’re qualified for it, jockeying for spots in the FO pecking order under the head coach. 

It’s also just a bit of a dull thud to go through this whole far-reaching process with all those interviews — and end up with a guy who was fired twice by Carolina and another guy who was fired by Detroit. The best we can come up with is two older guys who once had top jobs and got canned because they couldn’t meet the (famously lofty) Carolina/Detroit standards? Yikes.

Yup. Looking at things from the outside and at the organization holistically, I cannot see how this entire process, and the resultant hire(s), is a good move. Could it pan out that way? Yes. But experience is a hard teacher. And the guy who owns the team is still at Redskins Park.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

You don’t honestly believe Kyle is staying after this do you? 

• Like 2