Updated: Todd Downing to be named OC.

KingTitan

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

at the very least it's somewhat of a reassurance that he won't automatically go the good ol boy route on offense

Do you feel through his coordinator choices so far(LaFleur, Smith, Pees, and though maybe you add a failure here now in Bowen?) he's earned the benefit of the doubt regardless of who he picks, or would going, say, O'Hara be disappointing regardless?

That's a question for any/everyone, really. Not sure how I feel about it.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Do you feel through his coordinator choices so far(LaFleur, Smith, Pees, and though maybe you add a failure here now in Bowen?) he's earned the benefit of the doubt regardless of who he picks, or would going, say, O'Hara be disappointing regardless?

it's not exactly black and white. i think i'd be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on offense. i'm torn on an in-house hire because who wouldn't want continuity with what we were able to do this year? but on the other hand, there's no really strong in-house candidate (which is, imo, something that vrabel is going to need to start asking of his OCs- finding/bringing in high-potential developmental guys on staff to groom). frankly i think i'd be more skeptical of tim kelly than i would of an in-house candidate just because he's sooooo close to home.

on defense, i suppose he deserves credit for pees but who's to say that wasn't lucking out on a personal relationship he had? the extent to which the defense was mismanaged this year obliterates any goodwill i had for him on that side of the ball.

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

I can understand an in-house hire on offense, but it’s interesting since we don’t have anyone on staff that is really from the Shanahan tree. So while we’d assume that a guy like O’Hara would provide continuity, his experience calling plays is exclusively limited to the arena league.

Basically, I’d probably prefer an outside hire with playcalling experience (Jay Gruden?), but I can deal with promoting from within on that side of the ball. On defense, if we don’t hire a DC outside of the building, we riot.

Could be a good spot for him, but that is not a young offense. Mostly comes down to if he can get the same things out of Matt Ryan that Shanahan did three or four years ago.

Will be interesting to see where we go from here. Despite my complaints, Art is a loss and we could, and have, done a whole lot worse. Lot of pressure on Vrabel and Robinson to hit on these two hires.

the more i think about it the more i'm interested in getting a power spread guy. having looked at guys like ryan day and tony elliott it's certainly something that vrabel has considered too. i think incorporating more of those elements might lend a little more balance to our offense.