Updated: Todd Downing to be named OC.

KingTitan

On 1/13/2021 at 7:21 PM, KingTitan said:

I think it will be one of these names (As of now).

Outside team:

Pep Hamilton, Chargers quarterbacks coach
Mike McDaniel Run game coordinator
Luke Getsy Passing Game Coordinator — Packers

Inside:
Tony Dews- RB Coach
Todd Downing- TE Coach
Keith Carter- OL Coach

One down on my list lol

30 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Ravens hated Pees. Some hated Arthur. I've learned to care less and less the opinion of the old fan base

Fan bases are reactionary and rarely, as a group, understand football enough to accurately judge an individual coach. The negatives always stick with you longer than the positives. Definitely was the case with many, and certainly myself, when it came to Arthur.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Pep would be a good hire IMO. We’re not reinventing the wheel, just need someone who can run a passing game that doesn’t need tons of throws.

The more I think about it, the more I think Pep would be a very good hire 

he’s got a lot of experience coaching in a lot of different places with different skill level of QBs. I think Ryan and the offense would benefit a play caller and OC who truly does approach/coach/call the game thru a QBs eyes, and that’s the kind of approach Hamilton would bring 

I think he would be able to make the most out of the tools this offense provides. And I think get even more out for Ryan 

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Pep would be a very good hire 

he’s got a lot of experience coaching in a lot of different places with different skill level of QBs. I think Ryan and the offense would benefit a play caller and OC who truly does approach/coach/call the game thru a QBs eyes, and that’s the kind of approach Hamilton would bring 

I think he would be able to make the most out of the tools this offense provides. And I think get even more out for Ryan 

if he gets a better season out of RT than the one he just had then pep's gonna be a head coach in 2022 and we'll be on the market again lol. but thems the breaks i guess. i'd take it for sure

For what it's worth, as a Stanford fan I really liked Pep when he was the OC there though I'm pretty sure David Shaw was running most of the offense back then. He had some good years with Indy from what I remember, and his work with Justin Herbert this year was really impressive. I don't really have anything negative to say about him. He's always struck me as a good coach especially with QBs which would be nice for Ryan. I think it'd be a solid hire if we decide to go outside of our current offensive staff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

For what it's worth, as a Stanford fan I really liked Pep when he was the OC there though I'm pretty sure David Shaw was running most of the offense back then. He had some good years with Indy from what I remember, and his work with Justin Herbert this year was really impressive. I don't really have anything negative to say about him. He's always struck me as a good coach especially with QBs which would be nice for Ryan. I think it'd be a solid hire if we decide to go outside of our current offensive staff.

I like Pep also. I think he would be a great hire. And might be around for a few years.
He was far from a problem in San Diego. Helped shape Herbert into a QB nobody recognized from Oregon. 

Can't say I dig to deep into coaching hires, cause you really never know who will go off the table and who will really produce until they show us what they can do as a playcaller, but the more I read about Pep, I like him. Seems like a young dude who knows his stuff, and it is the xfl, but it is interesting that he has head coach on his resume. I feel like also as a qbs coach, maybe we can start slinging it more with Tanne on first.

19 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I like Pep also. I think he would be a great hire. And might be around for a few years.
He was far from a problem in San Diego. Helped shape Herbert into a QB nobody recognized from Oregon. 

I mean, it's true that Herbert played well above expectations, and Pep likely had a big role in that. But that's not completely shocking, Herbert has always been and been regarded as a big-time arm QB who could be really great if he pulled it together and fixed some of his flaws, which turns out he has done so far.

But yeah, Pep would be a good hire. To throw someone's name in the hat that I haven't seen mentioned, Mike Shula would make plenty of sense too. Has the experience, a #1 offense on his resume, experience working with a defensive-minded HC and a style similar to ours. When he had something to work with, the Carolina offense looked pretty good.