Rams vs Packers

RamRod

Getting a win at Lambeau will tough. Davante Adams vs Jalen Ramsey will be a fun matchup to watch. 

Wonder who gets the start at QB. If Wolford is good to go it will probably be him. Goff just wasn't right against the Seahawks. Kupp and Donald will be good to go so that's huge.

I go back and forth on who I want to start this game. and I think I'd start Wolford if he's healthy. Not a Goff hater at all, just think him being forced in the game last week had to do more damage than good to his finger and I thin it could be a pretty big issue in cold weather. Plus I really like what I've seen from Wolford the short time he's been out there. Love what he provides with his legs and I like the fact that he has been fairly smart with the football. 

And this has nothing to do with the game on Saturday, but I think one of my favorite Rams games ever was the Divisional match-up vs Green Bay back in 2001 when They came to the Dome and we smoked them 45-17. Such a fun day for our Defense, Aeneas Williams and Tommy Polley baby! 

Hoping the Rams can squeak one out, QB play scares me. 

• Like 3

We need to come out gritty and nasty from the first snap. Run the ball until Akers gets tired, then hand the ball off to Brown until he gets tired lol. 

If the defense scores a TD early in the game, I can see a long, painful day ahead of Rodgers. This defense is like having 11 hungry sharks in the ocean, once they get a taste they’re gonna feast. 

That’s pretty much the only way I see is winning this game... get mean in the trenches and run the football....

Nevermind, I'm sure Veldheer was gonna start. Because Bahktiari is out and I think they've been playing Billy Turner at left tackle who is usually a guard. So they'll probably have to stick with him there. That actually leaves them thinner at guard where maybe Donald can take advantage of that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I know they just recently signed him off the Colts PS. Don’t know if they were gonna plug him right into the lineup but looks like he’ll be out.

Oh darn. Hope he didn't have intimate conversations with Aaron Rodgers yesterday......................................

The Packers should win this game. They are the 1 seed for a reason, they have the potential MVP in ARod, and they have HFA coming off a BYE. They have everything going for them. The only thing that they have against them and its huge is they are playing a physical team in the Rams. The Packers when they go up against a physical team they tend to struggle. Last season they struggled against the Niners both times they faced them. They struggled against the Chargers. This season they struggled against the Bucs, the Colts, and the Jags. Im a strong believer in styles make fights and the Rams are the one team the Packers didnt want to see.

I think people are focusing too much on the QB position. Its not going to come down to Wolford or Goff. Its going to come down to Akers and Brown. The one thing that the Niners, Chargers, Bucs, Colts, and the Jags all had in common when they faced the Packers was they ran the ball down the Packers throats. When its all said and done on Saturday Im going to look at the box score and see how many rushing attempts the Rams have. If they have closer to 30+ rushing attempts then Im confident either the Rams wouldve won or at least the game was right there for them to win in the end. If the Rams have less than 25 rushing attempts then I know the Rams lost its just by how much? They probably wouldnt even cover. Then there is the defense. Donald is good to go so if the Rams defense shows up in this game like they have done all season long I cant see the Packers scoring more than 27pts. Thats the magic number for both teams. So the Rams have a great defense, a top 10 rushing offense which is a weakness of the Packers stopping the run, the weather will also be a factor preventing a high scoring game, and then the Packers coming off the BYE could start off slowly. The Rams have to take advantage of that too. If the Packers go the first 2 or 3 series starting slow where they dont get any points, the Rams need to have at least 10pts on the board. Go grab a lead because the fact that the Packers have a hard time stopping the run they arent good playing from behind because teams will run to control the clock and the Packers cant stop them and as a result they can never catch up in games. If the Packers lose this game its going to be because in the first 3 rounds of the 2020 draft they took a back up QB, a backup TE, and a backup RB. They needed to get toughness and stout up front on the defense so when they face physical teams like the Rams and Bucs they will be better situated to slow down or stop them from literally running it down their throat. 

So again the Packers should win but if the Rams can just live by their identity which is play great defense and run the ball extremely well the Rams should have a great chance of going on the road and winning another big playoff game. Akers will be the x factor easily in this game. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 2

Obviously, I'm speculating, but based on the practice reports, I would guess that Goff is starting this week. Hard to see McVay starting Wolford when he hasn't practiced yet and Goff has practiced in full each day this week. I guess we'll wait and see what happens today.

Just read most of the thread in the NFL Gen. forum and it's clear Packers' fans think this game is gonna be a cake walk for them. The Packers are a very good team not trying to take anything away from there here, this is going to be a very tough game for the Rams to pull off the upset. But just a few weeks ago the Rams were considered by some to be the 2nd best team in the NFC behind the Packers. A few injuries happened over the last few games and the Rams seemed to struggle. But players are healthy now and most importantly, Andrew Whitworth is healthy now. If he can improve on his play from last week and play at the level he was playing at before his injury I think our rushing attack can be an elite group. 

This might seem to simple, but IMO whoever has the better Run game on Saturday wins. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Just read most of the thread in the NFL Gen. forum and it's clear Packers' fans think this game is gonna be a cake walk for them. The Packers are a very good team not trying to take anything away from there here, this is going to be a very tough game for the Rams to pull off the upset. But just a few weeks ago the Rams were considered by some to be the 2nd best team in the NFC behind the Packers. A few injuries happened over the last few games and the Rams seemed to struggle. But players are healthy now and most importantly, Andrew Whitworth is healthy now. If he can improve on his play from last week and play at the level he was playing at before his injury I think our rushing attack can be an elite group. 

This might seem to simple, but IMO whoever has the better Run game on Saturday wins. 

Not all of us think it will be a cake walk.  A lot of that is just bravado.  

16 hours ago, RamRod said:

Nevermind, I'm sure Veldheer was gonna start. Because Bahktiari is out and I think they've been playing Billy Turner at left tackle who is usually a guard. So they'll probably have to stick with him there. That actually leaves them thinner at guard where maybe Donald can take advantage of that.

He was never going to start.  He was the insurance.

Turner played guard last year.  This year he's played RT, LT and LG.  But he's played guard only when injuries really hit.  He's been much, much better than expected at tackle.

Wagner was our third tackle and he slid into RT when Turner flipped to LT once Bakhtiari got injured.  And both of those guys can play both tackle spots.

Should one of them get injured in the game, Jenkins at RG will flip to tackle, where he's honestly better than the other two, and the other two have been very good tackles.  Jenkins is that good and that versatile.

Jenkins guard spot will flip to Jon Runyan.  Rookie who filled in pretty good this year when needed.  Don't forget that our starting RG was Lane Taylor, who went down in week one.  Lucas Patrick has held that position for most of the year, and done a pretty good job.  That Patrick vs. Donald matchup is the one where you should dominate.  Not just win, but dominate.

That is kind of how the o-line has been all year.  Very fluid.  Many different guys playing different positions.  We are amazed that it has worked out as well as it has.  We give a ton of credit to our o-line coach.  Stenovich.

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah according to what I'm reading we stand no chance they're better at every position except AD and they can neutralize him with ease. Our defense is over rated and we haven't played anybody good even though our SoS is higher by a bit. We should be used to this a lot of these same people had us as a 3 or 4 win team before the season and they also had the Cardinals winning the division. 

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yeah according to what I'm reading we stand no chance they're better at every position except AD and they can neutralize him with ease. Our defense is over rated and we haven't played anybody good even though our SoS is higher by a bit. We should be used to this a lot of these same people had us as a 3 or 4 win team before the season and they also had the Cardinals winning the division. 

Nah bro, not all of us think this way. As a packer fan, they've let me down way too much to have any sorts of confidence for this game. Rams really have the recipe for beating the Packers. Rodgers history isn't too good when it comes to great defenses either. I feel like it'll come down to the Packers defense against the Rams offense. We all know about how good the packers O is and how good the Rams defense is, cool, I feel the Rams hold the Packers offense between 17 and 23 points. Now will the Rams offense score more than that is the question. IMO, you'll be able to find out in the first quarter on how the game is going to go. If the packers defensive coordinator Pettine decides to play the game with his standard 6 DB defense, Akers is going to run all over them boys, especially since Pettine never adjusts (at least it feels that way). During the beginning of the year, I wondered why teams even passed the ball at all on GB with how they played the run. If Pettine plays his base defense more and plays aggressive and slows down the run, it'll really force the ball to be thrown more (obviously right) and help take away Akers which will play into GB's hands.

Also special teams, no one has really talked about that too much, from what I've seen both special teams aren't good at all heck I know GB's ST is straight trash. Field position is going to be huge in this game, it could come down to a ST fumble or missed assignment on a kickoff return.

Oh well, best of luck to you all, enjoy the game and don't get too worked up about what people say on this forum. If we were as smart as we think we were, we'd all have coaching gigs in the NFL.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Nah bro, not all of us think this way. As a packer fan, they've let me down way too much to have any sorts of confidence for this game. Rams really have the recipe for beating the Packers. Rodgers history isn't too good when it comes to great defenses either. I feel like it'll come down to the Packers defense against the Rams offense. We all know about how good the packers O is and how good the Rams defense is, cool, I feel the Rams hold the Packers offense between 17 and 23 points. Now will the Rams offense score more than that is the question. IMO, you'll be able to find out in the first quarter on how the game is going to go. If the packers defensive coordinator Pettine decides to play the game with his standard 6 DB defense, Akers is going to run all over them boys, especially since Pettine never adjusts (at least it feels that way). During the beginning of the year, I wondered why teams even passed the ball at all on GB with how they played the run. If Pettine plays his base defense more and plays aggressive and slows down the run, it'll really force the ball to be thrown more (obviously right) and help take away Akers which will play into GB's hands.

Also special teams, no one has really talked about that too much, from what I've seen both special teams aren't good at all heck I know GB's ST is straight trash. Field position is going to be huge in this game, it could come down to a ST fumble or missed assignment on a kickoff return.

Oh well, best of luck to you all, enjoy the game and don't get too worked up about what people say on this forum. If we were as smart as we think we were, we'd all have coaching gigs in the NFL.

Yeah no Rams fan that I know of thinks we should be a favorite or being talked favorably about in this matchup. But in the playoffs you generally have to be able to run the ball and play good defense and we can do both.

Our biggest issues are inconsistent and sometimes bad play from QB and OLine. If both don’t hurt us we have the old punchers chance but we need Ramsey and his gang to be at their best. And we need Donald and his guys to be huge and win the LOS or it’ll be a long saturday afternoon.

• Like 1