Rams vs Packers

RamRod

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Yeah, he was the problem today. We have limited resources this offseason, wasting anything major on a QB2 is idiotic. 

You may have been asleep half the season. Just because he had a good game the last two games doesn’t mean he hasn’t been inconsistent for the entire season 

1 hour ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Deep threat 

A proper MLB 

We NEED a deep threat. I also agree on the MLB part, but it blows my mind how they couldn't even bring in a cheap guy that can run fast. Kenny Stills was out there for a while. 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Offensive line is garbage in every 3rd (and 4th) and long. 

They played really bad, but I think a lot of it was Evans. Edwards being out really hurt. Also, I want to move on from Havenstein. Might be able to save us some money and the guy allows more tipped passes than anyone I've ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Mcvays playcalling did no favors for anyone 

He started out great, but it seems that 2 point conversion was the last play he had in the book. Everything after that was bad.

Overall, this one hurts more than I thought it would. I didn't expect to win, but we shot ourselves so much in the first half. 12 men on the field, false start on 4th and 1, AD getting that stupid penalty, allowing a FG with 29 seconds left. All of it set us too far behind to catch up to a guy like Rodgers. Defense picked a crap time to have their worst game (looking at you Troy Hill), but injuries also hit us at the wrong time. 

The positives are that Goff looked good, even without Kupp. If you saw him catching passes pregame, his thumb was still obviously bugging him. There's no way around that, and he still came out and gave us a chance. If he continues to get back to throwing it downfield next year, along with Cam Akers being in the backfield and most of the defense coming back, we could have a real shot. I've never been this optimistic for the next season following a playoff loss, but I think we'll be just fine. 

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

They played really bad, but I think a lot of it was Evans. Edwards being out really hurt. Also, I want to move on from Havenstein. Might be able to save us some money and the guy allows more tipped passes than anyone I've ever seen.  

Who replaces Havenstein?

7 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

This is why Aaron Donald should be the league MVP. Look at how our defense looks like without him being healthy. 

the defense completely imploded today. This may have cost Staley a potential HC job 

we need to come back better. We rely too much on AD99 on the pass rush. We need another edge and someone to replace Troy Hills sorry ***. Lastly, we need a viable backup to put pressure on Goff

I agree about AD. It's crazy how much of a difference he makes, but it's pretty clear now.

As for QB, I think Wolford is good enough to push him, but I'd also be open to a guy like Minshew who's been brought up. Either way, a fired up Goff is exactly what we need, so I agree we need a viable backup behind him. 

7 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

There's a lot of spots that killed us but I keep coming back to the Donald penalty. He's supposed to be a leader and he decided to gift the Packers a first on 3rd and 7. 

Agreed. He needs to lead by example, and that was a momentum killer. 

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

You may have been asleep half the season. Just because he had a good game the last two games doesn’t mean he hasn’t been inconsistent for the entire season 

Someone's cherry-picking their sample-size... and I think you know you are.

Gee, you mean when his run-game fell off and his OL couldn't keep him remotely clean he became inconsistent?  Wow!  That's such a shocker.  That only describes 98% of QB's in the league.

• Like 2

Just now, rocky_rams said:

Yeah, if only he played better against the Jets then the season would have gone much better... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Trade for Minshew imo. He's cheap in terms of cap space and gives us a legitimate backup. Win-win. 

Unfortunately you’re probably hot the only one thinking that, and that might push his trade value higher than he is worth for someone who is just going to be a backup 

Well tonight i'm not even mad at the loss.

It was a tough game at Lambeau and only a top defense would have give us a chance to win. 

The defense was bad against the run and we did the max with the player we have. I still think ILB is the weakest position in this defense. Donald was hurt is obvious, he was in tears at the end of the game. I hope this allow us to keep Staley one more year with us. 

Goff was pretty good tonight, i can't blame him on the loss, he did what he's expected to do. Akers and the WR were also good. But the OL still need to improve in the offseason. 

Well i said in offseason ILB and OL are too thin and in this game it was obvious. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Haven't looked into it yet, but he's not playing up to his contract. If we need some cap, that would be an area I'd look into. 

Doesn’t save you as much as you would think (definitely not enough to find any kind of decent replacement) and we are already replacing at least one Starter on the line, possibly a second, there is something to be said for continuity. And I’d rather not be replacing the Average+ guys before we fix the gaping holes

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Haven't looked into it yet, but he's not playing up to his contract. If we need some cap, that would be an area I'd look into. 

Havenstein isn't the problem. The tipped balls are annoying, but they happen once or twice a game. He's a great run blocker and a solid pass protector. An OL is all about the sum of its parts. Practically speaking, it means having one or two dominant players and zero weak links. Today, we had two weak links: Bobby Evans in pass protection and Austin Blythe overall. Blythe has been a weak link for most of the year. We don't have the money to overhaul the OL. What we need to do is replace Blythe with a guy who is a solid or better player, and we need one of the young guys (Edwards or Corbett) to elevate their games.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Who replaces Havenstein?

Well, given my druthers, I'd want Quinn Meinerz (who's basically this year's Ben Bartch), but I'm not going to pin my hopes to us drafting 1 specific prospect.  I'd need to look at the numbers again to see what unloading Havenstein would cost us, but I have trouble believing that we wouldn't be able to get comparable, if not slightly improved, quality out of a journeyman from the FA market.  If the Bills don't re-sign Nysheke, he was only pulling down $5M AAV this past season, pretty sure that's a void filler right there money and quality wise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Unfortunately you’re probably hot the only one thinking that, and that might push his trade value higher than he is worth for someone who is just going to be a backup 

I'm not so sure about that. I think we could get him for our 4th round comp pick. We'll have two third round comp picks, so if we trade down with one of those picks, we can replace that 4th round pick and the 5th we traded for Corbett. I think we can get Minshew, and I think he's the perfect guy for what we need. 

• Like 1