Rams vs Packers

RamRod

The Packers were just better than us. They we’re definitely better than our depleted squad, they may have just been that much better than a full squad. But it would have been nice to see this matchup with a 100% Donald, plus Kupp, Edwards and Lewis. Not sure we pull it out, but they were down guys as well. 

Feels like a pretty good year, especially when it looked like we were running out of gas to end the regular season.

Hope we have Staley atleast another year, and he can learn from this. We’ve got some Off-season Capital to improve, but will have to do it very wisely. 

Happy Mocking everyone

• Like 3

Just now, The LBC said:

Well, given my druthers, I'd want Quinn Meinerz (who's basically this year's Ben Bartch), but I'm not going to pin my hopes to us drafting 1 specific prospect.  I'd need to look at the numbers again to see what unloading Havenstein would cost us, but I have trouble believing that we wouldn't be able to get comparable, if not slightly improved, quality out of a journeyman from the FA market.  If the Bills don't re-sign Nysheke, he was only pulling down $5M AAV this past season, pretty sure that's a void filler right there money and quality wise.

Ty Nsekhe is already 35 years old. Havenstein is an above average RT (at worst). He wasn't the issue today. He wasn't the issue this year. We only save $5 million cutting him. There's no reason to create another hole on the OL when Havenstein isn't a weak link.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Doesn’t save you as much as you would think (definitely not enough to find any kind of decent replacement) and we are already replacing at least one Starter on the line, possibly a second, there is something to be said for continuity. And I’d rather not be replacing the Average+ guys before we fix the gaping holes

Yeah I honestly am horrible with the cap, so if it doesn't save us much,  you're probably right to just roll with the continuity. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Havenstein isn't the problem. The tipped balls are annoying, but they happen once or twice a game. He's a great run blocker and a solid pass protector. An OL is all about the sum of its parts. Practically speaking, it means having one or two dominant players and zero weak links. Today, we had two weak links: Bobby Evans in pass protection and Austin Blythe overall. Blythe has been a weak link for most of the year. We don't have the money to overhaul the OL. What we need to do is replace Blythe with a guy who is a solid or better player, and we need one of the young guys (Edwards or Corbett) to elevate their games.

He's not the problem, but he also isn't playing up to what's expected from him. If it won't save us much, then you're probably right to address the other areas though. 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not so sure about that. I think we could get him for our 4th round comp pick. We'll have two third round comp picks, so if we trade down with one of those picks, we can replace that 4th round pick and the 5th we traded for Corbett. I think we can get Minshew, and I think he's the perfect guy for what we need. 

Well he is under contract for 2 more years (thought it was 1) so I might be ok with moving a Top 150 pick for him.

But I guess I’m not sure that Minshew “pushes” Goff anymore than what McVay and Wolford did last week.

He looked a lot more like his old self today (all be it with a hampered thumb) so to me I feel like that might be a fruitless venture. 

7 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Yeah I honestly am horrible with the cap, so if it doesn't save us much,  you're probably right to just roll with the continuity. 

He's not the problem, but he also isn't playing up to what's expected from him. If it won't save us much, then you're probably right to address the other areas though. 

Hav is the 8th highest paid RT in the NFL. Frankly, I think his play is in line with what he's being paid. I would say that he's in the 8 to 12 range in terms of NFL RTs, and some of the guys who are better or as good are on rookie contracts.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Well he is under contract for 2 more years (thought it was 1) so I might be ok with moving a Top 150 pick for him.

But I guess I’m not sure that Minshew “pushes” Goff anymore than what McVay and Wolford did last week.

He looked a lot more like his old self today (all be it with a hampered thumb) so to me I feel like that might be a fruitless venture. 

If Goff plays to his abilities, there's not a QB out there available to us who could "push" him. But if he falls apart mentally, Minshew can step in and execute this offense. I am probably higher on Minshew than most, but I think he's capable of being a starting QB. That all said, Goff is an exceptional talent. He's one of the best pure throwers in the NFL. I am hoping he enters his prime next year and makes a big leap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Any chance Nick Bolton falls to us in the 2nd round? 

You know I’m with you on the Bolton love, and anything can happen, but it’s hard to see a LB like him falling to #57. But anything can happen to anyone who isn’t a Top 10 lock come draft time. Id be surprised if he’s isn’t one of the first few picks of the second round at worst

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

But if he falls apart mentally, Minshew can step in and execute this offense. I am probably higher on Minshew than most, but I think he's capable of being a starting QB.

That’s completely fair. And I would much rather have Minshew than Wolford in that situation. Because I think some here we’re hoping that Gardner is what we would get out of Wolf, and he just doesn’t have that. 

11 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The Packers were just better than us. They we’re definitely better than our depleted squad, they may have just been that much better than a full squad. But it would have been nice to see this matchup with a 100% Donald, plus Kupp, Edwards and Lewis. Not sure we pull it out, but they were down guys as well. 

This^^^^^

I certainly would have liked to see your healthy DL against our healthy OL. Losing the #1 left tackle in the league hurts!