Rams vs Packers

RamRod

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Rams need a legit deep threat, continue to build the OL, and make sure to bring back JJIII. Franchise tag him or just flat out pay the man. I think getting a stud inside linebacker would be nice but its not a must. If Floyd contract is up make sure he comes back too. So I feel the draft can be for the OL and deep threat. Bring back JJIII and Floyd and the Rams are set. Hopefully Staley can come back as well. 

I genuinely don't think the cap room is there for either Triple J or Floyd at relatively market rates for their positions.  With JJ you're talking a contract of the level for a guy that was a legitimate Pro Bowl snub at safety, so we're talking upwards of $12M AAV (closer to $14M range if we're talking last free agency's benchmarks).  For Floyd, sacks get paid, period; especially by teams that have a rough record at drafting the stat.  Market saturation may give a little help, but Floyd's likely still going to be seeking in the neighborhood of Anthony Barr money, which is $14M AAV.  If I was to make a bet on Floyd, I'd figure he's New England or Miami-bound; both have cap space to burn and HC's/defensive-schemes that prize his kind of versatility.

It's going to suck to lose JJJ, but we have the depth to absorb the loss and we've shown that barring the swing and miss on Christian year before last, this front office knows what they're doing drafting safeties and Pleasant knows how to coach them up.  As to Floyd, I'm expecting a situation similar to the one we found ourselves in with him.  Cap-space looks tight for us, but with the reputation of this defense (and the ability to play with Donald), we'll see someone who a team either didn't opt to exercise the 5th-year option on or who hasn't lived up to the fat deal his team gave him iin free agency or on extension who gets let go and we look like an optimal location to rebuild their stock for the market, after we make a few adjustment moves to free up the cash to bring them in on a 1-year deal.  That might be Trey Flowers, that might be (I seriously doubt it, but possible...) the aforementioned Anthony Barr, that might be Jamie Collins.  I don't really know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

I genuinely don't think the cap room is there for either Triple J or Floyd at relatively market rates for their positions.  With JJ you're talking a contract of the level for a guy that was a legitimate Pro Bowl snub at safety, so we're talking upwards of $12M AAV (closer to $14M range if we're talking last free agency's benchmarks).  For Floyd, sacks get paid, period; especially by teams that have a rough record at drafting the stat.  Market saturation may give a little help, but Floyd's likely still going to be seeking in the neighborhood of Anthony Barr money, which is $14M AAV.  If I was to make a bet on Floyd, I'd figure he's New England or Miami-bound; both have cap space to burn and HC's/defensive-schemes that prize his kind of versatility.

It's going to suck to lose JJJ, but we have the depth to absorb the loss and we've shown that barring the swing and miss on Christian year before last, this front office knows what they're doing drafting safeties and Pleasant knows how to coach them up.  As to Floyd, I'm expecting a situation similar to the one we found ourselves in with him.  Cap-space looks tight for us, but with the reputation of this defense (and the ability to play with Donald), we'll see someone who a team either didn't opt to exercise the 5th-year option on or who hasn't lived up to the fat deal his team gave him iin free agency or on extension who gets let go and we look like an optimal location to rebuild their stock for the market, after we make a few adjustment moves to free up the cash to bring them in on a 1-year deal.  That might be Trey Flowers, that might be (I seriously doubt it, but possible...) the aforementioned Anthony Barr, that might be Jamie Collins.  I don't really know.

I understand what you are saying. It will depend on Staley if we want to try to keep Floyd. Yes he is going to want to get paid but I think he loves it in LA on this defense and if Staley comes back I think Floyd is going to give the Rams every chance to try to bring him back. Could be difficult for JJIII but like I always say, if a team really want to pay someone they will find a way to do so. So we shall see about JJIII.

6 hours ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Seriously. So disappointed. Most likely losing Floyd and Johnson. Others that I can’t think of right now. 

Probably Fox, too.  Unless he opts to come back on a 1-year deal due to not finding a favorable market due to his injury history and general competition on the market.

My biggest take away from the game was that we got dominated by their O-Line. After watching our D-line live in Seattle's backfield the week prior, I don't think we had any negative plays yesterday. Their RB's were ripping 5 YPC every play, we might have had 3 or 4 pressures on Rodgers all day? Any QB with those circumstances was going to be successful vs us and it happened to be this years MVP.  Hats off to their O-line and RB's.

Donald wasn't 100% obviously, Kupp not being there sucked, but Van Jefferson played very well. Goff played much better than I expected. He made some great throws, he made no mistakes, but it's tough watching the same exact offense as yours, but seeing what it could be like with an Elite level QB. 

Long story short, we had very few ways of winning yesterdays game and alot needed to go our way. It didn't. And we lost to a better team. 

Great season all things considered. Jefferson and Akers look very promising. I think we will see QB competition next year for Goff via FA or draft. We will lose some FA's, but that's the name of the game. You get compensatory picks and restock the cabinet. Excited to see Rapp and Burgess back. Def need a run stuffing ILB and a deep threat at WR. I'm actually satisfied with our IOL. Could use a long term solution to Whit at LT cause it aint Noteboom. 

I believe if healthy, our offense would’ve been more competitive than it was. The defense is what really brought me down last night. The Packers offense gained almost 200 yards on the ground and almost 300 through the air. 

Once the run defense caved I just knew the passing game would eventually fail as well. 
This Fangio type defense we’re supposedly running needs an ILB to plug up holes to keep RBs from running wild like Jones and Williams did last night, add to the fact that Donald was a shell of himself and causing boneheaded penalties, I knew from the first few plays that this defense would fold. 

Goff showed me a lot these last two weeks, hopefully he will take this experience and use it as fuel to get better, but the Rams need to do right by him, surrounding him with a more stable o-line, and giving him a deep threat at WR so we can set aside to dink and dunk plays. This offense is not designed to rely on short passing plays. McVay likes to run the ball to set up big plays downfield, and we need to bring in players who can help us accomplish more of what we did in 2018...

Imagine the 2018 offense and this years defense???? Wow.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

My biggest take away from the game was that we got dominated by their O-Line. After watching our D-line live in Seattle's backfield the week prior, I don't think we had any negative plays yesterday. Their RB's were ripping 5 YPC every play, we might have had 3 or 4 pressures on Rodgers all day? Any QB with those circumstances was going to be successful vs us and it happened to be this years MVP.  Hats off to their O-line and RB's.

Donald wasn't 100% obviously, Kupp not being there sucked, but Van Jefferson played very well. Goff played much better than I expected. He made some great throws, he made no mistakes, but it's tough watching the same exact offense as yours, but seeing what it could be like with an Elite level QB. 

Long story short, we had very few ways of winning yesterdays game and alot needed to go our way. It didn't. And we lost to a better team. 

Great season all things considered. Jefferson and Akers look very promising. I think we will see QB competition next year for Goff via FA or draft. We will lose some FA's, but that's the name of the game. You get compensatory picks and restock the cabinet. Excited to see Rapp and Burgess back. Def need a run stuffing ILB and a deep threat at WR. I'm actually satisfied with our IOL. Could use a long term solution to Whit at LT cause it aint Noteboom. 

I agree with a lot of this but I'm definitely not satisfied with the interior line. For 1, Blythe is a FA so we need to decide on him. I don't hate Edwards but I think at best he's average now. Corbett is fairly inconsistent and by far the most penalized guy. 

I think at worst 1 of those spots needs to be upgraded. Whether that's from internal development or not I think it's been a big issue. Bigger issue for me than a lack of deep threat. 

10 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I think we need to upgrade the guard positions and we def need a DT that’s physical. Out DTs were getting bullied by GB without Donald 

we also need an EDGE if Floyd leaves. 

i don’t mind our ILB. Think they’re serviceable 

59 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Imagine if Goff looked as terrible as Brees does tonight. People would riot around here and he's got one of the couple best WR and RB in the game and still this. He should have retired a year or two ago. 

Brees and Brady were both horrific tonight. Last week Aikman is burying Goff who's playing with a broken thumb. He seemed pretty nice to guys who were crippling their teams. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

I think we need to upgrade the guard positions and we def need a DT that’s physical. Out DTs were getting bullied by GB without Donald 

we also need an EDGE if Floyd leaves. 

i don’t mind our ILB. Think they’re serviceable 

I think this is an overreaction. We need an upgrade at one guard spot. Keep in mind that Edwards didn't play. He's an above average LG. I'd try to upgrade on Corbett and slide him inside to Center. I think his skillset fits best at Center. Our DLs are plenty good. With a healthy Donald, GB doesn't do that to us. The value of a guy like Donald is making everybody else look better. Gaines, SJD, Brockers, and Robinson can more than do the job with Donald next to them. We have limited resources. We're good there. 

I agree on needing an EDGE. I think Preston Smith (if GB cuts him) or Tyus Bowser make sense if we hire a DC who runs a scheme like Staley's. I think we need to bring in one upgrade at ILB. One of Reeder, Kiser, Howard, Young, etc. could do the job if we had a better ILB next to him.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

agree on needing an EDGE. I think Preston Smith (if GB cuts him) or Tyus Bowser make sense if we hire a DC who runs a scheme like Staley's. I think we need to bring in one upgrade at ILB. One of Reeder, Kiser, Howard, Young, etc. could do the job if we had a better ILB next to him.

I feel like a 100% Kiser really changes this Run D. And Reeder is an issue in that area. He was just never the same coming off of IR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Imagine if Goff looked as terrible as Brees does tonight. People would riot around here and he's got one of the couple best WR and RB in the game and still this. He should have retired a year or two ago. 

Goff played well against the Packers despite the interior OL being leaky as hell in pass protection and the defense letting the Packers control the TOP and forcing us to play from behind, and there were still Rams fans crapping on his performance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Goff played well against the Packers despite the interior OL being leaky as hell in pass protection and the defense letting the Packers control the TOP and forcing us to play from behind, and there were still Rams fans crapping on his performance.

Yeah he did a good job. Doesn’t seem like McVay is as patient with him anymore though. His pressers have been much different in regards to Goff 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think this is an overreaction. We need an upgrade at one guard spot. Keep in mind that Edwards didn't play. He's an above average LG. I'd try to upgrade on Corbett and slide him inside to Center. I think his skillset fits best at Center. Our DLs are plenty good. With a healthy Donald, GB doesn't do that to us. The value of a guy like Donald is making everybody else look better. Gaines, SJD, Brockers, and Robinson can more than do the job with Donald next to them. We have limited resources. We're good there. 

I agree on needing an EDGE. I think Preston Smith (if GB cuts him) or Tyus Bowser make sense if we hire a DC who runs a scheme like Staley's. I think we need to bring in one upgrade at ILB. One of Reeder, Kiser, Howard, Young, etc. could do the job if we had a better ILB next to him.

You’re prolly right about an overreaction on the DL but I really think that Kiser and Kenny Young are serviceable. 

id rather us spend draft picks on OL and a speed receiver