Madden 18

bucsfan333

I can't bring myself to buy Madden 18. I put several hundred hours into creating every team's all time roster, down to their 6th string QB. (I'm aware there are some NFL Legend rosters for download, but none were near extensive enough for me.) I might have decided to buy 18 had there been any actual improvements besides Frostbite and the new passing mechanic.

11 hours ago, NS922 said:

So the story mode guy has a set name? I knew that would happen. I don't know why sports games insist on creating some fake person you have to play as instead of just letting us make ourselves. That sucks.

While I dont completely disagree, having a set name allows them to create audio specifically for that player name....where as if it were a custom name, it would either have to avoid saying the players name (in Blitz the League, you could name your player what you wanted, but he was always referred to as his nickname "Franchise"), or do much of the dialogue via text.

Personally, I dont even want a freaking story mode for Madden.   I get that thats a preference, but its just an excuse for them to ignore other things in the game that desperately need fixed while continuing to primarily cater to younger and casual fans.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

While I dont completely disagree, having a set name allows them to create audio specifically for that player name....where as if it were a custom name, it would either have to avoid saying the players name (in Blitz the League, you could name your player what you wanted, but he was always referred to as his nickname "Franchise"), or do much of the dialogue via text.

Personally, I dont even want a freaking story mode for Madden.   I get that thats a preference, but its just an excuse for them to ignore other things in the game that desperately need fixed while continuing to primarily cater to younger and casual fans.

Whats odd is that the entire GameChanger community, who test and play the game for them in Orlando and provide almost all of their player feedback, are all sim players who want a robust online experience that's a sim experience, yet they keep throwing the things out that you accurately state cater to young and casual fans. 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Whats odd is that the entire GameChanger community, who test and play the game for them in Orlando and provide almost all of their player feedback, are all sim players who want a robust online experience that's a sim experience, yet they keep throwing the things out that you accurately state cater to young and casual fans. 

Based on what Ive heard and have heard for years, is that its the higher ups at EA that truly hold the game back, and make the decisions to keep certain aspects of the game in the dark ages while focusing on squeezing as much money as possible from people.     And I believe that, because Ive listened to interviews from the current lead designers on Madden and it sounds like they want to create a truly epic franchise mode and make the game more sim....but just like Ian Cummings, I believe they are handcuffed in many ways.

52 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Based on what Ive heard and have heard for years, is that its the higher ups at EA that truly hold the game back, and make the decisions to keep certain aspects of the game in the dark ages while focusing on squeezing as much money as possible from people.     And I believe that, because Ive listened to interviews from the current lead designers on Madden and it sounds like they want to create a truly epic franchise mode and make the game more sim....but just like Ian Cummings, I believe they are handcuffed in many ways.

Knowing two game changers and having some of the devs on my old site, I agree 100% with that.  What they really need is a year where they essentially release just a roster update, to give them a year to work on the entire game 

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I get that it's easier to program with one set guy. I'm not too concerned with the story either, as far as dialogue and cutscenes go, I would just like to play the actual game with a character of my own choice. It shouldn't be too hard for them to give us just a few nicknames to choose from so they can use those instead of just one name (like that stupid "Freak" name from NBA2k). They probably made some elaborate movie-style story with a ton of cutscenes just because they thought it'd be cool. I don't need that, but if there is gonna be some kind of story to play through I'd like to play through my own story and not some "Devin Wade quarterback from Texas". I didn't mind the story of Blitz the League because the cinematics in those games were the main part of it. It was arcade style whereas Madden is simulation style. Madden is supposed to be more realistic so that's why it's disappointing for them to automatically make up a fake character for us.

That being said, if there's still the classic career mode for an individual player without some sob story, I'll just play that instead. I mainly play the Franchise mode or whatever they call it now anyway so all in all it's not a big deal.

What do I wish from 18? Oh, let's see...

- The ability to defend the pass

- More realistic running game (piles, blocks that actually hold, rewarded if patient) 

- QB movement before the snap (this is personal, I just love it when the QBs march up to the line, point defenders out, give signals etc)

- Ability to block if you wish to play as an OL. A complete function where you can control blocking entirely.

- Realistic kicking motions. They look like windup toys with a straight leg. 

- The ability to actually make it to the RB when you play as a LB (you're just ALWAYS blocked by an OL that magically made it to the second level in 0.2 seconds)

I'll let you guys know how Madden is today. Playing in a 50+ person tournament at my local Buffalo Wild Wings. Gamestop is hosting it for all the pre orders. Winner gets the game free.

Expecting I'll get destroyed in the 1st Round. I didn't play online much last year.. and was probably like 5-5 in Ranked games. I use to be really good in the Madden 09-Madden 13 Era but just don't have the time to lab anymore.

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I'll let you guys know how Madden is today. Playing in a 50+ person tournament at my local Buffalo Wild Wings. Gamestop is hosting it for all the pre orders. Winner gets the game free.

Expecting I'll get destroyed in the 1st Round. I didn't play online much last year.. and was probably like 5-5 in Ranked games. I use to be really good in the Madden 09-Madden 13 Era but just don't have the time to lab anymore.

Can you and your opponent both agree to forfeit and use the time instead to start a franchise?

I did the trade in at Best Buy a few days ago. $25 off of Madden 18. I think that's a pretty solid deal. I played MUT a good amount last year along with our franchises. I don't spend any money on MUT because it's stupid too. But, there are plenty that do. That's how Madden makes up a lot of their money for people "boycotting" the game. As odd as it seems to some of us, people love spending more on games like that. Maybe because it's like the computer game age too. Those hardcore gamers spend money on those games and I think it really is leaking over to ps4/x more and more.

38 minutes ago, biggio7 said:

I did the trade in at Best Buy a few days ago. $25 off of Madden 18. I think that's a pretty solid deal. I played MUT a good amount last year along with our franchises. I don't spend any money on MUT because it's stupid too. But, there are plenty that do. That's how Madden makes up a lot of their money for people "boycotting" the game. As odd as it seems to some of us, people love spending more on games like that. Maybe because it's like the computer game age too. Those hardcore gamers spend money on those games and I think it really is leaking over to ps4/x more and more.

Honestly, MUT is the last game you'd need to spend money on to git gud at. I grabbed the GOAT edition for the extra boost (because why not?) since I love Ultimate Team, but after that; there's no reason to spend money on packs. It's pretty easy to get rich, if you're playing the market and patient.

9 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Can't wait for this to be available later on EA ACCESS!

Sadly, after I get up later today and get to the gym and my game, I won't have too much time to play tonight before I work again. I'll probably only.pkay MUT for the trial. 

I think it was available a day early on EA Access? That's what everyone said yesterday on Operation Sports.

I'm debating upgrading to the GOAT edition and getting it 3 days early on Tuesday. My days off are Tues/Weds. So I could either play it my next two days off or wait til I have it in my grasp for 4 days before playing it the following Tuesday. Gamestop has a deal, trade in a game and upgrade to GOAT.

Archived