Rockets trade James Harden to Nets

beekay414

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Am I alone in thinking this will blow up in the Nets face like the KG/Truth trade? Granted the timeframe and type of implosion will be different but this trade man. Let's put a hyper competitive guy with the most aloof and unreliable superstar we can find and then add a lazy bum who purposely got out of basketball shape to push a trade through and see what we get!

Probably not that bad.  KG and Paul Pierce were 37 years and 36 years old respectively.  It was only a matter of time before that situation imploded on itself.  Kyrie Irving is 28, James Harden is 31, and Kevin Durant is 32 years old.  Odds are that at least 2 of the 3 are still playing at a relatively high level in a few years.  At least not bad enough to throw high picks the Rockets' way.

24 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Well it’s clear Houston’s owner was sticking it to Morey if it’s true Simmons was available.  Trading for picks that far down the road has to be an ownership move cause no GM makes it that long. 

I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption.  My guess is that Morey wasn't willing to dangle that amount of picks, or even close to that many picks at Houston.  And given that Houston dealt most of their picks away as part of the Westbrook debacle, they probably prioritized draft picks as part of the return.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Probably not that bad.  KG and Paul Pierce were 37 years and 36 years old respectively.  It was only a matter of time before that situation imploded on itself.  Kyrie Irving is 28, James Harden is 31, and Kevin Durant is 32 years old.  Odds are that at least 2 of the 3 are still playing at a relatively high level in a few years.  At least not bad enough to throw high picks the Rockets' way.

That's why I said in a different way. KG and PP were pro's pro's, especially late in their career. With the exception of KD (who could go Kobe on their Dwightness), both Irving and Harden have shown a sheer lack of professionalism in various ways this year and for Kyrie, since he pushed himself out of Cleveland. 

Finally got a chance to sleep on this one, and here's my thoughts for each team.

Brooklyn Nets Trade: SG Caris LeVert, SF Taurean Prince, PF Rodions Kurucs, C Jarrett Allen, 2021 BKN 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap), 2022 BKN 1st Round Pick (Unprotected), 2023 BKN 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap), 2024 BKN 1st Round Pick (Unprotected), 2025 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap), 2026 1st Round Pick (Unprotected), 2027 BKN 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap)
Brooklyn Nets Receive: SG James Harden

The Nets virtually unloaded nearly all of their assets in this deal to land their third superstar, and it was a costly one.  While I don't think the Nets gave up any singular piece of insane value, they depleted their roster both in terms of flexibility and in terms of depth.  While I don't envision this trade turning out as bad as the KG/PP trade, the remnants of that trade are shining brightly in Boston with Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown starring.  The good news is that Harden and Durant's games age better even if you project a loss of athleticism as they start to age.  I wouldn't really put the Rockets/Nets pick situation in focus for at least 2-3 years minimum.  Brooklyn likely competes for a title if they weren't already before this trade.  While I do appreciate Sean Marks' optimism on their flexibility moving forward, I'm not sure I share that same level of positivity.  I believe when the Nets' get their DPE for Dinwiddie, he's no longer tradeable (but don't quote me on that).  Right now, their superstar trio take up nearly $115M in cap space.  But beyond those three, you really only have Joe Harris ($16.1M) and DeAndre Jordan ($10.4M) making significant money.  So you're essentially patching your roster together with minimum salaries and that DPE, which I'd assume would be used on a big plus some SRPs they could use to move for some more depth.  Overall, it's hard to blame the franchise for jumping at another superstar.  Not sure I love the fit with Kyrie Irving, but I think they'll figure it out before issues come up.

Trade Grade: A-

Cleveland Cavaliers Trade: PG Dante Exum, 2022 MIL 1st Round Pick (Top 10 Protected)
Cleveland Cavaliers Receive: SF Taurean Prince, C Jarrett Allen

Maybe I'm a bit behind on this one, but this looks like an amazing deal for Cleveland on paper both in terms of fit and the direction the Cavs are going.  And that's saying something for a franchise that I've been critical post-LeBron.  Unless you believe the Bucks are going to struggle next year (which seems unlikely given Giannis is playing), this is essentially taking on a bit of long-term salary to turn that '22 FRP into Jarrett Allen.  And it's not like Taurean Prince's contract is particularly onerous as the Cavaliers could rehab his trade value, and flip him at the deadline to a contender in need of a 3&D wing.

Trade Grade: A

Houston Rockets Trade: SG James Harden
Houston Rockets Receive: PG Dante Exum, SG Victor Oladipo, PF Rodions Kurucs, 2021 BKN 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap), 2022 BKN 1st Round Pick (Unprotected), 2022 MIL 1st Round Pick (Top 10 Protected), 2023 BKN 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap), 2024 BKN 1st Round Pick (Unprotected), 2025 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap), 2026 1st Round Pick (Unprotected), 2027 BKN 1st Round Pick (Pick Swap)

Let's start by mentioning that anytime you deal your superstar, you're never going to get full value.  If you're lucky, you're going to get 75 cents out of a dollar for them.  The NBA is such a superstar-driven league, probably moreso than any other professional league.  The return for Houston is interesting to say the least.  After rumors were going around that the Rockets were discussing deals with both the Nets and the Sixers, a deal was struck with Brooklyn.  Ben Simmons was probably the single most valuable asset discussed in the trade rumors, and even if the Rockets weren't as big a fans of Simmons as others were, I think you'd be hard pressed to think that they couldn't get a ton of value if they opted to flip him to a third team.  I still suspect that Morey wasn't willing to give up the pick haul that the Nets were, which is why the Nets' package won out especially when the Rockets were able to get other teams to join in the Harden trade.  All in all, the Rockets recoup picks that they dealt in the ill-fated Westbrook trade.  I think the bigger question is what happens to Victor Oladipo moving forward.  Do the Rockets repair his value and flip him at the deadline or do they try and reload around him?  Overall, I think this situation is comparable to what New Orleans dealt with Anthony Davis.  The Lakers gave up a boatload of picks and pick swaps to bring Anthony Davis to Los Angeles, but they gave up the better singular piece (Brandon Ingram).  For that reason, I think this deal is hard to swallow as Rockets' fans unless you truly believe the Nets are going to implode.

Trade Grade: C-

Indiana Pacers Trade: SG Victor Oladipo
Indiana Pacers Receive: SG Caris LeVert, 2023 HOU 2nd Round Pick

The writing was on the wall for the Pacers and Victor Oladip parting ways, but this deal isn't horrendous or great. It really appears that the Pacers essentially kicked the can down the road so to speak.  I prefer Oladipo to LeVert all things being considered, but the Pacers don't have to go through FA discussion with Dipo.

Trade Grade: B

• Like 2

CWood that’s one of the best, most detailed and accurate write ups I’ve seen. Well done. 

one thing I love about this trade:

basically CLE and Indy got what they wanted and immediately look like winners

on the surface this is a huge loss for Hou and huge win for BKN. 

however there’s always the chance this fails spectacularly, and given the personalities and fits involved I don’t think the odds of a catastrophic failure are as small as they should be. 

If the Nets win a title or get a few years of serious contention it’s a Win. If Kyrie loses his mind (and he’s gonna be the one to burn it down if it happens) then I think things could get nasty. 

houstons gonna be bad for a bit but if the Nets burn then the rockets have a chance to be enormous winners off this