What's the difference between Mac Jones this year and Joe Burrow last year?

VanS

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Agreed. He may not have a cannon, but more than enough arm to get the job done.

He’s got the talent I just wonder if he continues to mature. You don’t get a nickname like Johnny Mac because you’re even keeled lol 

I think the Ceiling for him is Phillip Rivers 

Edited by Chiefer

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you plug another former top QB prospect at QB, does LSU have the same season they had last year?  Probably not.    Burrow was LSU's offense.  Can you comfortably say that Mac Jones was?  Because I can't.

You've got to be kidding me?

Burrow had Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the backfield.  He was arguably the best rookie RB this year.  He had Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase at WR.  Jefferson just put up the greatest rookie season ever in terms of receiving yards.  And Chase is projected to be drafted even higher than both Edwards-Helaire and Jefferson.

You could've plugged Dwayne Haskins (yes the same Haskins who beat Burrow out at Ohio State) into that team and he would have had a similarly dominant season.  Lets not act like Haskins wasn't breaking records at Ohio State with a less talented receiving core. 

27 minutes ago, VanS said:

You've got to be kidding me?

Burrow had Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the backfield.  He was arguably the best rookie RB this year.  He had Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase at WR.  Jefferson just put up the greatest rookie season ever in terms of receiving yards.  And Chase is projected to be drafted even higher than both Edwards-Helaire and Jefferson.

You could've plugged Dwayne Haskins (yes the same Haskins who beat Burrow out at Ohio State) into that team and he would have had a similarly dominant season.  Lets not act like Haskins wasn't breaking records at Ohio State with a less talented receiving core. 

You don’t know that. But continue to sell your opinions like they are facts. It’s what you do best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

You don’t know that. But continue to sell your opinions like they are facts. It’s what you do best.

Was Haskins not a highly successful college QB?  Did he not break records at Ohio State with less NFL talent than Burrow had at LSU?  Did he not force Burrow to transfer out of Ohio State after beating him out?

Surely you can't try to act like Joe Burrow did something herculean at LSU given how much his supporting cast is thriving thus far in the NFL. 

31 minutes ago, VanS said:

Was Haskins not a highly successful college QB?  Did he not break records at Ohio State with less NFL talent than Burrow had at LSU?  Did he not force Burrow to transfer out of Ohio State after beating him out?

Surely you can't try to act like Joe Burrow did something herculean at LSU given how much his supporting cast is thriving thus far in the NFL. 

What did I say? That you don’t know that but you state it as fact. 

On 1/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, VanS said:

You must not know how I evaluate players.  I could care less about the success they have in college.  I evaluate them purely on their traits.  Nothing I've seen from Mac Jones says he's anything more than a backup.  As much as I was not emamored with Joe Burrow last year, he at least flashed some traits that couldn't be taught in terms of mobility.  To me Mac Jones looks like a pure system QB.  He had success because Alabama is stacked.  Take 1 5-star out and they replace him with another.  So your point about Smith and Waddle doesn't really make that big a difference.  This is Alabama afterall.

As always I am open to being wrong but Mac Jones looks like most surefire bust I've seen of a QB projected to go in the 1st round since Dwayne Haskins (who I was similarly down on). 

This is the difference. Burrow never looked like a guy relying on the system. He was the system. That's not to disparage the tremendous talent he played with but he was clearly the leader and best player on that offense. Jones is not.

Edited by Bullet Club

34 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

This is the difference. Burrow never looked like a guy relying on the system. He was the system. That's not to disparage the tremendous talent he played with but he was clearly the leader and best player on that offense. Jones is not.

Then explain why Burrow was a nobody in 2018?

He also benefiited from the system that was brought in 2019. 

15 minutes ago, VanS said:

Then explain why Burrow was a nobody in 2018?

He also benefiited from the system that was brought in 2019. 

I think that goes without saying, but just because the offensive system put into place prior to his 2019 season was archaic at best doesn't mean that Burrow is a system QB.  I mean, there was no way in hell Aaron Rodgers would succeed being a Tedford QB.  There was no way that Patrick Mahomes, an Air Raid QB, was going to be successful in the NFL.  Give it a rest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think that goes without saying, but just because the offensive system put into place prior to his 2019 season was archaic at best doesn't mean that Burrow is a system QB.  I mean, there was no way in hell Aaron Rodgers would succeed being a Tedford QB.  There was no way that Patrick Mahomes, an Air Raid QB, was going to be successful in the NFL.  Give it a rest.

Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers, Billy Volek and AJ Feeley.  Not a great list but few in college history have that type of QB track record at all, sure not all were great in the NFL and some were busts but some were not.  Especially back then when it was simply harder to play the QB position.  Now it is a lot easier to find successful QBs because quarterbacks coming out of high school are far more prepared and more developed and each offense is more and more like one another across the board be it high school, college or the NFL.  

The Air Raid thing absolutely was a thing before the rules changed, and even is now under Leach.  Minshew has had success of course but even he is probably on the way out or is a backup with Jacksonville next year.  And no clue how he did not beat out Glennon this year but at times was benched for him.  Throw KJ Costello into that mix, who most after week one was saying is a super star QB.

Tim Couch
Kliff Kingsbury
BJ Symons
Sonny Cumbie
Cody Hodges
Graham Harrell
Taylor Potts
Jeff Tuel
Luke Faulk
Connor Haliday
Luke Faulk
Gardner Minshew
Anthony Gordon

Sure Leach's coaching tree has changed that and guys he coached have had success.  

Kliff Kingsbury is lucky for one Patrick Mahomes to get him his current job, and not sure one can completely count Baker Mayfield but he did start out with Kliff but left and obviously improved in a different environment.  Still better list than Mike Leach.

Johnny Manziel
Case Keenum
Baker Mayfield
Davis Webb

Tedford's track record with productive QBs is nothing to scoff at.  

Norm Chow could be the best in terms of two elite level quarterbacks he coached, but still it is crazy hard to find anyone with multiple high level quarterbacks coached in college.  So any at all is impressive in itself especially if it goes over a time span like Tedford.  

Phillip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Matt Leinart
Ty Detmer

I mean they all benefit from the system. NFL is no different. Honesty Mac will likely benefit greatly from being drafted lower. Think of Mahomes falling to a stacked KC. Or Deshaun to Houson before BOB destroyed the team. Imagine Mac Jones falling to a team like Colts or Saints. 

Burrow had the bigger challenge falling to a team in rebuild mode.