Jump to content

What's the difference between Mac Jones this year and Joe Burrow last year?


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Like a happy imagination?

Absolutely. I think the Saints would be an awesome fit for him. Guy has shown to be very accurate and displayed some advanced traits reading/manipulating defenses. Strikes me as a guy that won't give you the "wow" throws that a guy like Zach Wilson would, but can distribute the ball effectively. Having a top level OL and guys like Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara to work with would be an awesome fit for him as I think he will adapt quickly to the pro game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think that goes without saying, but just because the offensive system put into place prior to his 2019 season was archaic at best doesn't mean that Burrow is a system QB.  I mean, there was no way in hell Aaron Rodgers would succeed being a Tedford QB.  There was no way that Patrick Mahomes, an Air Raid QB, was going to be successful in the NFL.  Give it a rest.

Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes have generational arm talent.  Joe Burrow doesn't.  In fact some might say Burrow's arm strength is below average.  Comparing him to two of the most talented QBs we've ever seen makes no sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Why does any QB improve? They updated the offense and he worked his *** off.

Marginal improvements are to be expected.  My issue is with how Joe Burrow went from a Day 3 pick at best in 2018 to the consesus #1 overall pick just a year later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VanS said:

Marginal improvements are to be expected.  My issue is with how Joe Burrow went from a Day 3 pick at best in 2018 to the consesus #1 overall pick just a year later.

Think anyone had Kyler Murray as the #1 overall pick before his RS JR season?  Think anyone had Quinnen Williams the #3 overall pick before his RS SOPH season?  Think anyone had Mitchell Trubisky the #2 overall pick before his JR season?  Think anyone had Solomon Thomas as the #4 pick overall before his RS SOPH season?  Play on the field does matter as do results.  Sure sometimes it does not always workout, but usually what have you done lately matters.  Which is why it is curious why some sat out this season but thankfully for them they were so ahead of any other player at their position they will still be picked #1 in this position anyway for the likes of Sewell, Parsons and Holland but could easily make the case Chase lost the #1 WR spot to DeVonta Smith because he sat out and Twyman lost the #1 DT spot by sitting out to Barmore potentially.  Slater and Rousseau probably did not miss out much, especially Rousseau because no one has really taken that #1 DE spot from him based on their play.  Slater could have went higher though than he will go because he did not play I feel but will see.  Caleb Farley and Thomas Graham also possibly hurt their stock by sitting out because Surtain played great, Samuel was good, Bynum was good and Newsome was great as was Molden.  Holland could have lost that #1 safety spot to LeCounte but he did get hurt during the season, and Moehrig is good but not sure I would take him over Holland.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Absolutely. I think the Saints would be an awesome fit for him. Guy has shown to be very accurate and displayed some advanced traits reading/manipulating defenses. Strikes me as a guy that won't give you the "wow" throws that a guy like Zach Wilson would, but can distribute the ball effectively. Having a top level OL and guys like Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara to work with would be an awesome fit for him as I think he will adapt quickly to the pro game.

That’d be the perfect situation for him honestly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Think anyone had Kyler Murray as the #1 overall pick before his RS JR season?  Think anyone had Quinnen Williams the #3 overall pick before his RS SOPH season?  Think anyone had Mitchell Trubisky the #2 overall pick before his JR season?  Think anyone had Solomon Thomas as the #4 pick overall before his RS SOPH season? 

Kyler Murray was a heralded recruit and player at Texas A&M.  His height was the only question mark as well as whether he would choose baseball.  It took Kliff Kingsbury getting the Cardinals job locking him into the 1st overall pick.

The rest of guys you mentioned were guys who never played or started before their breakthrough seasons.  They were also quite young when they broke through.  Joe Burrow on the other hand was a 23 year old RS SR during his breakout season and started an entire season before that.  You can't really compare him to a first year starter like Trubisky who breakthrough season is the only extensive tape we had of him.

My criticism with all the love Joe Burrow got last year was based on the fact most people didn't like him much in 2018.  Then they switched up to thinking he was a great prospect in 2019 despite his physical tools remaining the same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 1:52 PM, VanS said:

Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes have generational arm talent.  Joe Burrow doesn't.  In fact some might say Burrow's arm strength is below average.  Comparing him to two of the most talented QBs we've ever seen makes no sense. 

I think it’s funny you’re knocking Burrow’s arm strength when you’ve praised Watson’s in the past. Even though Watson’s is very average as well and on par with Burrow’s. Do you even know how to correctly arm strength?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 11:41 AM, VanS said:

Kyler Murray was a heralded recruit and player at Texas A&M.  His height was the only question mark as well as whether he would choose baseball.  It took Kliff Kingsbury getting the Cardinals job locking him into the 1st overall pick.

The rest of guys you mentioned were guys who never played or started before their breakthrough seasons.  They were also quite young when they broke through.  Joe Burrow on the other hand was a 23 year old RS SR during his breakout season and started an entire season before that.  You can't really compare him to a first year starter like Trubisky who breakthrough season is the only extensive tape we had of him.

My criticism with all the love Joe Burrow got last year was based on the fact most people didn't like him much in 2018.  Then they switched up to thinking he was a great prospect in 2019 despite his physical tools remaining the same. 

His physical tools stayed the same. But his mental acuity increased as evident by his presnap and post snap play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I think it’s funny you’re knocking Burrow’s arm strength when you’ve praised Watson’s in the past. Even though Watson’s is very average as well and on par with Burrow’s. Do you even know how to correctly arm strength?

I think Watson has a stronger arm than Burrow.  I know some don't think much of Watson's arm but I've always been impressed by it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Xenos said:

His physical tools stayed the same. But his mental acuity increased as evident by his presnap and post snap play.

Or maybe it was the new scheme that hid his weaknesses and inflated his production?

To me mental acuity is very difficult to guage on tape.  Which is why I always lean towards a prospect's physical traits above all else.  Those traits have far less uncertainty around them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VanS said:

Or maybe it was the new scheme that hid his weaknesses and inflated his production?

To me mental acuity is very difficult to guage on tape.  Which is why I always lean towards a prospect's physical traits above all else.  Those traits have far less uncertainty around them.  

Every offensive scheme’s intended goal is to maximize a QB’s strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Peyton Manning is a great example of this.

And concentrating on a prospect’s physical trait above all else leads to just as many issues especially at the QB position.

Edited by Xenos
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, tyler735 said:

Absolutely. I think the Saints would be an awesome fit for him. Guy has shown to be very accurate and displayed some advanced traits reading/manipulating defenses. Strikes me as a guy that won't give you the "wow" throws that a guy like Zach Wilson would, but can distribute the ball effectively. Having a top level OL and guys like Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara to work with would be an awesome fit for him as I think he will adapt quickly to the pro game.

And looking like this could become a reality. Brees is retiring. They were always in the QB market but I see them pulling the trigger on him or Trask pretty early. They might also trade up if Lance, Wilson or Fields drop in a decent range.

With the Combine being different this year people will really be all over the play in their scouting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...