Week 19 - GDT - Divisional round - Buccaneers (12-5) @ Saints (13-4)

Mid Iowa

3 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

I haven't read every post but I think if Lombardi leaves, here's a question :   Can Drew Brees become the new QB coach?

Why would he take the pay cut?  He's going to be making a lot more money broadcasting so I think he's going to give that a real shot first.  I think if he just doesn't enjoy it or he ends up missing being a part of a team then he might try to come back and be a coach, but it won't be for a few years.

4 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

I haven't read every post but I think if Lombardi leaves, here's a question :   Can Drew Brees become the new QB coach?

I don't think this will ever happen. I can't really think of any great players that transitioned to coaching. It's typically not in their DNA. 

13 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Deion? I wouldn't really call that a "transition". He's been out of the league a long time.
Not arguing, it just kinda struck me a funny ;)

I mean he's a former player that's now coaching.  It's not like Brees is going to be going straight to coaching with his broadcasting contract already signed that I'm sure is paying him way more than some assistant/positional coach would pay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

I mean he's a former player that's now coaching.  It's not like Brees is going to be going straight to coaching with his broadcasting contract already signed that I'm sure is paying him way more than some assistant/positional coach would pay.

I just don't  see Brees grinding as a position coach... typically those guys were lesser players without the petagree of Brees and far below Brees career earnings. Brees will make several million dollars on his NBC contract... more than most head coaches per year in the NFL.

3 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I just don't  see Brees grinding as a position coach... typically those guys were lesser players without the petagree of Brees and far below Brees career earnings. Brees will make several million dollars on his NBC contract... more than most head coaches per year in the NFL.

Yup that's my point.  Unless he just completely misses the game, reviewing film etc, I don't see him getting into coaching.  If he does I doubt he'd go for anything less than Co-OC position just to get his feet wet before looking for a HC position after understanding the coaching aspects better.

I don't see him being with NBC for long.  As least, not as a commentator.  Maybe sitting around a table with Rodney Harrison or something.  Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see Brees being very good at that job.  The persona he shows to the camera is not particularly funny or witty.  He has the knowledge like Romo, but Romo has a better personality. 

But who knows, maybe Brees' politically correct active QB persona was different than what his commentator persona will be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I don't see him being with NBC for long.  As least, not as a commentator.  Maybe sitting around a table with Rodney Harrison or something.  Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see Brees being very good at that job.  The persona he shows to the camera is not particularly funny or witty.  He has the knowledge like Romo, but Romo has a better personality. 

But who knows, maybe Brees' politically correct active QB persona was different than what his commentator persona will be.

Personally I think he'd  be better in the studio rather than the booth... reportedly he will begin splitting time between NBCs studio on NFL game days while doubling in the booth for Notre Dame games. Most ND games are nationally televised so its good exposure for Brees and NBC as they fast track him as the eventual successor to Chris Collinsworth at some point. Brees would bring a more stern and focused demeanor to the commentary but I also feel there's a lighter side to Brees that will connect with audiences. Either way, he'll find a niche within sports commentary to make a great living beyond football. No need for him to grind as a coach to be close to the game, plus I think he wants a gig that provides more quality time with his family... NBC provides that.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:58 AM, Raves said:

Mike Vrabel and Deion Sanders right off the top of my head.

And you'd classify either as a great coach? 🤨

Not saying some guys don't try, some do, but typically your HoF or top talent guys don't coach, or make the best coaches. 

10 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

And you'd classify either as a great coach? 🤨

Not saying some guys don't try, some do, but typically your HoF or top talent guys don't coach, or make the best coaches. 

Vrabel has been doing pretty good with Tennessee so far... Sanders we'll have to see as he just started coaching in college have to see how it turns out in the long run.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, Canadian Saint said:

Big addition to our staff. Could very well be an upgrade over Glenn. Excited to see what he can do with Lattimore.

This is the best thing I've read since our season ended. I like this guy, and I've wanted to replace Glenn for quite some time. Great news, in my opinion.