Future GB Free Agents

incognito_man

I would be in favor of paying Adams and moving on from Cobb while moving Jordy into the slot.  A Marty B/Jordy/Adams/Allison/Davis receiving group seems pretty good to me going forward.  I would love to sign a mid level guy to compete for that outside WR spot.  Jordan Matthews, Marqise Lee, Donte Moncrief, Brice Butler or Paul Richardson fit the bill from a projected price standpoint.

Alternatively, you can cut Cobb, let adams walk, and make a play for someone like Sammy Watkins/Alshon Jeffery.  To me, that's a lot of turnover and would have some pretty bad growing pains in 2018 for the offense, but you still have Jordy/Geronimo/Marty as holdovers for 2018.  You could also add a pu-pu platter of those mid level guys from above if Adams is simply un-signable and you don't want to make a "like for like" expensive replacement. 

Current indications are that Adams wants to be here and that usually leads to a re-signing.

I remain very interested in seeing what outside talent would look like in GB at the WR position.  It's my schrodinger's cat.

Burnett is tricky given that we have Brice and Jones in the fold and HHCD for 2 more years.  If it were between him and House I'd probably lean towards House.

19 hours ago, LargeFarva said:

Cutting Cobb and signing an outside FA would likely cost the Packers two comp picks. I don't see that happening.

You mean the pick we'd get for Cobb in 2020 when he walks in 2019?

So, you get a comp pick next year for who exactly?  Burnett walking this year? Or Linsley?  Who is walking?... and you would ostensibly use that on a player in 2019 when you are awarded the pick.  OR, you can just use that pick on a player now... a free agent.  In exchange for the acceleration of the process and getting the player a full year earlier, you pay more money.

The infatuation with a late round pick which will net you a player who might contribute in 2020 or 2021 over a player who helps you in 2018-2021 is faulty.  I'm not talking about a bank-breaking player either here.  I'm talking about a mid-low end FA WR.  The opportunity cost of signing someone like that is dropping a 3rd round comp pick to a 4th, or a 5th round comp pick to a 7th.  It all balances.

35 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

You mean the pick we'd get for Cobb in 2020 when he walks in 2019?

So, you get a comp pick next year for who exactly?  Burnett walking this year? Or Linsley?  Who is walking?... and you would ostensibly use that on a player in 2019 when you are awarded the pick.  OR, you can just use that pick on a player now... a free agent.  In exchange for the acceleration of the process and getting the player a full year earlier, you pay more money.

The infatuation with a late round pick which will net you a player who might contribute in 2020 or 2021 over a player who helps you in 2018-2021 is faulty.  I'm not talking about a bank-breaking player either here.  I'm talking about a mid-low end FA WR.  The opportunity cost of signing someone like that is dropping a 3rd round comp pick to a 4th, or a 5th round comp pick to a 7th.  It all balances.

You'll have to take that all up with Ted. He's made it abundantly clear that he values picks over players which is what I was referencing. And if you want a mid-low WR, why not just keep Cobb?

3 minutes ago, LargeFarva said:

You'll have to take that all up with Ted. He's made it abundantly clear that he values picks over players which is what I was referencing. And if you want a mid-low WR, why not just keep Cobb?

well, Cobb is vastly overpaid which was covered.  You can cut him, save 9 million and get 2-3 guys with the savings.  Probably without losing production at WR and helping out another spot like RG.

Another option is to try to restructure Cobb and lower the cap hit which means extending him another 2-3 years.  If I were a betting man that's what I would expect, but I think it would be best if we rip off the band-aid and move on from Cobb.  It allows us to move Jordy full time to the slot, where I think he's best anyway.

Archived