Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, GW21 said:

I can't shake this feeling that this ends up like Saban in Miami. They basically had to sell Saban's wife on the job and while he was trending in the right direction his first year, it was obvious that he wasn't interested in coaching in the NFL. Worked out for him, but not so much for Miami. 

My concerns as well...Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick were also washes their first times as HC's....Belichick even had Saban on his coaching staff in Cleveland....As stated, Meyer won't be in a honey hole for blue chip players like he was at OSU....Will be interested to see how things unfold... 

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

I just don't like this hire for them. He has a history of fizzling out when the pressure is on his team to succeed and walking away. I'm pretty sure he's retired more times than Brett Favre. It almost makes you wonder how Khan got his money, like does this guy see a resume' come across his desk and is like "Oh man, you did REALLY well that year and then left. I think that year speaks far more about your character then you leaving. YOU'RE HIRED"

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If Trent Baalke is going to be their GM...that's not good. Don't be surprised when homie only drafts injury-plagued dudes or even worse, when "leaks" start surfacing every week regarding drama in the locker room. 

We'll survive.

14 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I just don't like this hire for them. He has a history of fizzling out when the pressure is on his team to succeed and walking away. I'm pretty sure he's retired more times than Brett Favre. It almost makes you wonder how Khan got his money, like does this guy see a resume' come across his desk and is like "Oh man, you did REALLY well that year and then left. I think that year speaks far more about your character then you leaving. YOU'RE HIRED"

Why does that matter though? If he is successful for 3-5 years then how isn't that a booming success (if that's what happens)?

We literally could've hired a coordinator who was in over his head as a HC just as likely (honestly, way more likely to have bombed) rather than one that actually worked out?

The NFL stands for Not Very Long. If he ends up getting the ship straightened and helps develop Lawrence, who the hell cares if he's not a long term solution?

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Why does that matter though? If he is successful for 3-5 years then how isn't that a booming success (if that's what happens)?

We literally could've hired a coordinator who was in over his head as a HC just as likely (honestly, way more likely to have bombed) rather than one that actually worked out?

The NFL stands for Not Very Long. If he ends up getting the ship straightened and helps develop Lawrence, who the hell cares if he's not a long term solution?

That's pretty much what I'm thinking too.  If he can turn around the culture and instill some discipline, while putting together a solid roster, the Jags should be in good shape even if they have to find a replacement in a few years.  I like his chances to do that more than an unproven NFL coordinator.

13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I think it matters, because his track record isn't at the NFL level, it's at the college level. He left when the stress got to be too much. He's now doing it at the highest level, you don't think that adds even more stress to a guy who has a proven track record of not being able to handle it? 

Sure, you could have gone out there and picked up the next best young coordinator and hired them as your HC and they could have flaked out. However, someone like Arthur Smith or Brian Daboll would have gave me higher confidence for a long-term success with a QB like Trevor Lawrence there for the taking then what Coach Meyer is able to provide me AT THIS MOMENT

5 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I think it matters, because his track record isn't at the NFL level, it's at the college level. He left when the stress got to be too much. He's now doing it at the highest level, you don't think that adds even more stress to a guy who has a proven track record of not being able to handle it? 

Sure, you could have gone out there and picked up the next best young coordinator and hired them as your HC and they could have flaked out. However, someone like Arthur Smith or Brian Daboll would have gave me higher confidence for a long-term success with a QB like Trevor Lawrence there for the taking then what Coach Meyer is able to provide me AT THIS MOMENT

He got stressed at a college level when losing a single game could knock you out of championship contention AND you're recruiting every single day of the year and competing against other top programs every day for said recruits?

I'm not saying the NFL won't be stressful. But I'm sure he has done plenty of research and is well aware of what its going to take.

That fine if you feel that way. I just don't see how you're comparing one of the winningest college HCs who's built up multiple programs to a hot young OC who was meh/non existent 2-3 yrs ago.

• Like 1