Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

The nice thing is that I don't think they will even need to do that much.  I've been doing some mock drafts and the offense already has some decent pieces assembled.  They will obviously have the QB, and their running back (Robinson), was an OROY nominee last year.  In addition, they have two very capable receivers in Chark and Shenault.  If they resign their current LT, the rest should be fairly easy.  All they need is:

Through the draft:
Right guard.
Tight end.
3rd receiving option (maybe a speed guy).

Through free agency:
A good, LT with some experience (he may already be on the roster).
An extra running back to occasionally spell Robinson. 

With the above additions, they should be able to compete with anyone in the league from a talent standpoint on offense.  Their defense definitely needs more help.

I hope that the Jags look at Zach Ertz. Man that would be a nice match for Lawrence from the jump. The Jags have the money and draft stock to pull it off pretty easily. I'd imagine that they are also in prime position to land both Marcus Williams and Trey Hendrickson from the Saints...both would be huge upgrades.

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I hope that the Jags look at Zach Ertz. Man that would be a nice match for Lawrence from the jump. The Jags have the money and draft stock to pull it off pretty easily. I'd imagine that they are also in prime position to land both Marcus Williams and Trey Hendrickson from the Saints...both would be huge upgrades.

Man, Ertz would be an amazing addition!  Marcus Williams is interesting, but is he guy that completely whiffed on tackling Stefon Diggs on the "Minneapolis Miracle" play?  Not that one play should define him as a player, but that was baaaaaad.  As far as edge rushers, I've been kind of hoping we try to make a move on Danielle Hunter from the Vikings.  He is probably a top 5 pass rusher in the league, and he is also a beast against the run.  He could be a great piece in our defense, but he wouldn't come cheap.

31 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Man, Ertz would be an amazing addition!  Marcus Williams is interesting, but is he guy that completely whiffed on tackling Stefon Diggs on the "Minneapolis Miracle" play?  Not that one play should define him as a player, but that was baaaaaad.  As far as edge rushers, I've been kind of hoping we try to make a move on Danielle Hunter from the Vikings.  He is probably a top 5 pass rusher in the league, and he is also a beast against the run.  He could be a great piece in our defense, but he wouldn't come cheap.

Trey Hendrickson is a very good pass rusher...and I do think that he will come at a better price tag. He's definitely an ascending player. I would be very happy with Hunter...but the challenge is that it would require both a trade and a huge payday...and he's coming off of injury. I honestly just like the value more of Hendrickson. I'm a Saints fan...so I can say with good confidence that he is a very good player.

I like Marcus Williams. Yes...he has the biggest choke in NFL history. And that is exactly why I think that he needs a change of scenery. He is still probably one of the top 15 FS's in the NFL. He does occasionally have a lapse in coverage and with tackling fundamentals...but there are very few FS's in the league that don't. I don't think he's getting a huge contract...and I think that he could be money well spent. 

EDIT: Also...Trey Hendrickson is from Orlando. His wife grew up in Jacksonville. I really do think that Trey has lots of reasons to want to be in Jacksonville long term.

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Wait, aren't you a vikings fan?

The Jags have always been a pretty benign second team...especially for fans of their primary team in the NFC. It's a huge military town...so I think that is how many of us become Jags fans. Because why not? They have a cool mascot...nice uni's...they're the underdog...and they have very rarely ever been competitive enough to interfere with your NFC team's goals. I live in Jacksonville now, so I feel more official...and I've been to far more Jags games than Saints games in my life. 

It's a cool team and it has lots of potential. If there is ever a time to jump on the bandwagon...it's now...while they are still a laughing stock incapable of winning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

The Jags have always been a pretty benign second team...especially for fans of their primary team in the NFC. It's a huge military town...so I think that is how many of us become Jags fans. Because why not? They have a cool mascot...nice uni's...they're the underdog...and they have very rarely ever been competitive enough to interfere with your NFC team's goals. I live in Jacksonville now, so I feel more official...and I've been to far more Jags games than Saints games in my life. 

It's a cool team and it has lots of potential. If there is ever a time to jump on the bandwagon...it's now...while they are still a laughing stock incapable of winning.

That's what I thought too.  Anybody can jump on to the bandwagon of a team like the Patriots 10 years ago, but it's kind of exciting to have a team that has nothing but potential.  They have a LOT of that right now, but nothing is guaranteed.  Still, there is a lot to like about the Jags, as you said.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Nope.  I'm a Jaguars fan for good now.  I guess I should probably make a thread and announce it.

I like the avatar. Can't tell if you're serious or not, but if so I can understand--I found room in my heart for the Giants, after all. 

Meyer: "It had to be perfect" (jaguars.com)

"This was not a knee-jerk reaction," Meyer says. "This was something that I've been studying for a long time." As to what we can expect from an Urban Meyer-led Jaguars team, he said, "I'm going to give you the coachspeak: we're going to play really hard."

6 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I like the avatar. Can't tell if you're serious or not, but if so I can understand--I found room in my heart for the Giants, after all. 

Meyer: "It had to be perfect" (jaguars.com)

"This was not a knee-jerk reaction," Meyer says. "This was something that I've been studying for a long time." As to what we can expect from an Urban Meyer-led Jaguars team, he said, "I'm going to give you the coachspeak: we're going to play really hard."

Yeah, it sounds like we are kind of the same wavelength.  I don't blame you either.  The Giants have some things that could make them really interesting - and that's not even considering the person pictured in my signature.  :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I’d rather have the Jags go after Ryan Ram instead of Ertzs but that’s just me. Not entirely clear on the OL situation. I know they have some pieces. 

Any team would be blessed to have Ryan Ramzcyk. He could be the best OT in the league. For that exact reason...with literally no cap space, the Saints will find a way to re-sign him. He will be resigned well before Lattimore...or at least should be. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I’d rather have the Jags go after Ryan Ram instead of Ertzs but that’s just me. Not entirely clear on the OL situation. I know they have some pieces. 

I've only seen about 5-6 games so far, but from what I can tell, their offensive line doesn't look all that bad.  It is far from the worst in the league as their record would otherwise indicate.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've only seen about 5-6 games so far, but from what I can tell, their offensive line doesn't look all that bad.  It is far from the worst in the league as their record would otherwise indicate.

Where are you catching old games? It would be rad to go back and watch some games with the season winding down.