Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC

RaidersAreOne

Lots of variance with this one. Obviously the track record is there in college,  but lets be real, if you had to pick one person to also go full on Petrino, it's him. At best I think that this is a short term solution, but we will see. Should be exciting regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I don't think that he's going to last. Urban Meyer's worst season ever was 8-5 with Florida...which stressed him out to the point that he had to step away for a while (at least, allegedly). Is he going to be able to handle losing? 

Losing games in college and losing in the pros is vastly different. Couple losses knocks you out of title contention, 6-7 losses in the NFL gets you in the playoffs/knocking on the door.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

A lot of cap space, top overall pick (curveball, incoming, Justin Fields....  not really), some decent positions in place.

He's going to be set up nicely to make a run in a couple years if he can be the NFL coach he was in college.

The big question: Can he get people in Jacksonville to actually give a **** and go to games?

They have fans there I have been to several there and they do fill up. I haven't been to one last year but overall a good amount show up. I think the bigger question is will he get players to come to the Jags without overpaying and they buy in to Urban and what he is doing. The other question is will he be able to handle losing and realize that if you lose one game doesn't mean you are out of a post season run, and if they do have a losing season will he stick it out. The things he is requesting not only for his assistant coaches but also upgrading the facilities Khan is going to have to invest in quite a bit of money not to mention his likely price tag that is expected to be around the 10-12 mil range per year. 

Just now, .Buzz said:

Losing games in college and losing in the pros is vastly different. Couple losses knocks you out of title contention, 6-7 losses in the NFL gets you in the playoffs/knocking on the door.

He can lose as many games as he lost in his entire OSU tenure and still win the NFC East

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

They have fans there I have been to several there and they do fill up. I haven't been to one last year but overall a good amount show up. I think the bigger question is will he get players to come to the Jags without overpaying and they buy in to Urban and what he is doing. The other question is will he be able to handle losing and realize that if you lose one game doesn't mean you are out of a post season run, and if they do have a losing season will he stick it out. The things he is requesting not only for his assistant coaches but also upgrading the facilities Khan is going to have to invest in quite a bit of money not to mention his likely price tag that is expected to be around the 10-12 mil range per year. 

Team consistently ranked between 20th to 27th in the league (even higher in 2017/2018 during and following the playoff run) every year in attendance despite being one of the least successful franchise with no reason to show up since the 90's in one of the smallest markets in the league.

I'm not even from JAX/have ties to JAX, so I honestly don't care, but the take is so off everytime.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Team consistently ranked between 20th to 27th in the league every year in attendance despite being one of the least successful franchise with no reason to show up since the 90's in one of the smallest markets in the league.

I'm not even from JAX/have ties to JAX, so I honestly don't care, but the take is so off everytime.

It's so off that they can't fill the stands when they rank 20th-27th in attendance?

Not sure I follow.......

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's so off that they can't fill the stands when they rank 20th-27th in attendance?

Not sure I follow.......

Yeah, why is that brought up when they're consistently ahead anywhere from 6-10 teams? I literally haven't seen talk about stadiums being filled/fans showing up in regards to any other team but the Jaguars and yet they never are at or really even near the bottom in attendance.

And again, that's while having the worst W/L record in the last 10-12 years in a smaller market than a lot of those teams.

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Honestly? I’m glad the dude we’re hiring hate losing. It’s better than still having a coach that sits there making jokes after 10 straight losses. 

Right? He expects excellence. That said worrying about his health is a real thing but overall he knows more about himself than us. The Jags need this and honestly it will be fun to watch. Urban is a beast and one hell of a coach. Letting him get Lawrence and really build his team will be the best thing. He is not inheriting anything really.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, why is that brought up when they're consistently ahead anywhere from 6-10 teams? I literally haven't seen talk about stadiums being filled/fans showing up in regards to any other team but the Jaguars and yet they never are at or really even near the bottom in attendance.

And again, that's while having the worst W/L record in the last 10-12 years in a smaller market than a lot of those teams.

Because one national media outlet said it during a game where attendance was low and everyone jumps on the wagon of it being the case all year. Just like them moving to London. Just easier to make stuff up then do actual research. 

They have been talking for years about cleaning up the area around the stadium and trying to make it better, at one point they were bringing in the designers from San Antonio to create something similar to what they did in an area of downtown. The rendering looked cool but unsure of whether or not they are still planning on doing it as the city has turned down some ideas as of 2 days ago but Khan is adamant about fixing things up around the stadium to making it more appealing. They also made the small concert area just outside the stadium which has brought in some high end musical guests so the appeal is there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not sure I follow.......

Because I guarantee you never say this about the teams that are consistently below the Jags in attendance. I don’t see anyone ever trashing Cincinnati for attendance despite them constantly being below us. Nobody sat here last year and said “we’ll see if anyone cares about the Bucs” when they got Brady despite them consistently being lower than the Jags in attendance year to year.

The Oakland Raiders attendance had been below the Jaguars numbers every single year that the Raiders reported attendance, over a full decade. The worst attendance year in Jaguars history was 2009, and the Raiders were still below them. But nobody ever felt it necessary to pipe in every Raiders thread about how no one was going to the games.

The Jags have never been last in attendance, yet they’re the only team that gets these quips in every single thread about good news for the team. It’s tired and annoying. 

• Like 2

I can't shake this feeling that this ends up like Saban in Miami. They basically had to sell Saban's wife on the job and while he was trending in the right direction his first year, it was obvious that he wasn't interested in coaching in the NFL. Worked out for him, but not so much for Miami. 

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

I don’t see anyone ever trashing Cincinnati for attendance despite them constantly being below us.

I can assure you that I do my part to raise awareness here in Southwest Ohio. And I don't let the "but, but, but, Mike Brown..." arguments go either.

8 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I can't shake this feeling that this ends up like Saban in Miami. They basically had to sell Saban's wife on the job and while he was trending in the right direction his first year, it was obvious that he wasn't interested in coaching in the NFL. Worked out for him, but not so much for Miami. 

If Saban would've chosen Brees and not Culpepper, who knows what happens.

Thankfully, Lawrence is coming regardless. Having a QB is what makes or breaks most.

• Like 1