Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC

RaidersAreOne

Just now, .Buzz said:

If Saban would've chosen Brees and not Cullpepper, who knows what happens.

Thankfully, Lawrence is coming regardless. Having a QB is what makes or breaks most.

Yeah I agree. The Jags would really have to mismanage this draft and free agency horribly to not be a playoff team within the next year or two. Multiple high draft picks (one of which is a QB is about as close to a can't miss guy as possible) and loads of money. I think he will be successful, but for how long is what I question. The reports that turned me off regarding Meyer were around him 'trying to decide what he wanted to do'; that doesn't sound like a guy that is all in to me. Maybe I read into that a bit too much, but I think any coach, if offered this opportunity, would be crazy not to go all in on it. 

Just now, GW21 said:

Yeah I agree. The Jags would really have to mismanage this draft and free agency horribly to not be a playoff team within the next year or two. Multiple high draft picks (one of which is a QB is about as close to a can't miss guy as possible) and loads of money. I think he will be successful, but for how long is what I question. The reports that turned me off regarding Meyer were around him 'trying to decide what he wanted to do'; that doesn't sound like a guy that is all in to me. Maybe I read into that a bit too much, but I think any coach, if offered this opportunity, would be crazy not to go all in on it. 

Albert Breer had a tweet on why it's taken a bit:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

This is what I was referring to. Again, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it definitely wouldn't have sat well with me if I was a Jags fan. 

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2021/1/12/22227490/jaguars-reportedly-waiting-on-urban-meyer-decision  

I'm aware, but that sounds like more speculation than the one from Breer with details on the talks

Breer is buddies with Urban and has been at the forefront of it all for the last month. 

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm aware, but that sounds like more speculation than the one from Breer with details on the talks

Breer is buddies with Urban and has been at the forefront of it all for the last month. 

Very well could be. I hope it works out TBH. That team could be super fun to watch, plus they're not in the Niners division or conference so that makes them easier to root for. 

6 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I wonder how many primetime games we will get with the additions of Urb/Lawrence. 

probably 1-2 because of it. I could see the Dolphins and Tua, or the Bengals (@ohio) and Burrow, maybe Jets if they go Fields. I would be surprised if they get more considering they are the worst team in the league and they usually go with more for playoff teams or NFC East (for some goodly reason).

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Because I guarantee you never say this about the teams that are consistently below the Jags in attendance. I don’t see anyone ever trashing Cincinnati for attendance despite them constantly being below us. Nobody sat here last year and said “we’ll see if anyone cares about the Bucs” when they got Brady despite them consistently being lower than the Jags in attendance year to year.

The Oakland Raiders attendance had been below the Jaguars numbers every single year that the Raiders reported attendance, over a full decade. The worst attendance year in Jaguars history was 2009, and the Raiders were still below them. But nobody ever felt it necessary to pipe in every Raiders thread about how no one was going to the games.

The Jags have never been last in attendance, yet they’re the only team that gets these quips in every single thread about good news for the team. It’s tired and annoying. 

I personally feel you're very wrong about the Bengals. I live in Midwest Ohio and their fanbase is constantly trashed by local media and the Brown's and Steeler's fans that inhabit this area. The national talking heads though? Not too sure. 

As a Raiders fans, I "piped" in many times to talk about the attendance and have "piped" in many Jag's threads and never talked about the attendance.

I'm sorry you're so bothered by it. I personally don't feel it'd be that big of an issue and as a Raiders fan, I don't, but everyone is different.

In fact, I see more people trashing the Chargers fan base more than anyone and by a wide margin. To each their own. 

Whether it works or not it will certainly be an interesting hire to follow. I think Urban's temperament seems better suited to transition into coaching pros instead of kids compared to a lot of college coaches but it's always a dynamic to watch closely. Not to mention the general shift towards not being able to walk on to the field already having won the game because of talent disparities - he obviously had to grind his way up through circumstances where that wasn't the case at Bowling Green and Utah but it's been 15 years since he was in that situation, and Saban basically chased him out of the SEC the last time he didn't have that sort of advantage in terms of his immediate and direct competition. 

Curious to see what his staff looks like and whether he looks to bring in experienced NFL hands or whether he leans on the guys he worked with in college.