Jump to content

Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC


Recommended Posts

Jags is a perfect coaching landing spot, some great young players already in place and premium draft picks. Probably the best vacancy ahead of the chargers. No brainier for me for him to accept.

I hope they don’t overthink it and play about though.

have a horrible feeling could see Fields backing up Haskins in Jacksonville.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I don't get the amount of worry about the Jags hiring him. I do get he doesn't have NFL experience and there is something to that, but he's a culture changer and we have seen proof of that at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State. The Jags are one of the least interesting franchises in the NFL and adding Trevor Lawrence and Urban Meyer would change that instantly.

IMO this would be worst case scenario

Year One 6-10

Year Two 8-8

Year Three 9-7

And he walks away after not having the type of success he expected, but I think he reaches the playoffs by year two. I could easily be wrong but I think his approach would work at first, long term I'm not sure if the players would keep buying in, especially the vets. Either way it should be very entertaining

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Well, this ensures Jacksonville will somehow manage to stay irrelevant even with Trevor Lawrence.  Impressive work by them.

Feel free to repost this if it turns out you are right, but I have a strong feeling that your post will not age very well, at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Give me more.

Holy hell do I love having a guy that cares this much. 

I think he will be a very good fit in Jacksonville for 3-5 years, then we'll see how he handles the stress of NFL Coaching. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Feel free to repost this if it turns out you are right, but I have a strong feeling that your post will not age very well, at all.

I love this whole story we're about to take part in. We'll see how it turns out, but you're damn right I'm fully on board with this whole thing.

Could've got some hyped up coordinator who's never headed a program/locker room? So much more of a sure thing, indeed. It's not like that ever burns you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think he will be a very good fit in Jacksonville for 3-5 years, then we'll see how he handles the stress of NFL Coaching. 

To be fair to Urbz, I do think it's likely fewer people get murdered this time than his last Florida coaching stint.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I guess I don't get the amount of worry about the Jags hiring him. I do get he doesn't have NFL experience and there is something to that, but he's a culture changer and we have seen proof of that at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State. The Jags are one of the least interesting franchises in the NFL and adding Trevor Lawrence and Urban Meyer would change that instantly.

IMO this would be worst case scenario

Year One 6-10

Year Two 8-8

Year Three 9-7

And he walks away after not having the type of success he expected, but I think he reaches the playoffs by year two. I could easily be wrong but I think his approach would work at first, long term I'm not sure if the players would keep buying in, especially the vets. Either way it should be very entertaining

If TL comes in blazing I can see them making the 3rd wild card spot this coming season. They have talent with a decent off-season wouldn't surprise me to see them win quickly.

Edited by 49erurtaza
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people are looking at this hiring as a negative because he could only coach for 3-5 years.  While that would be disappointing if he is successful, this is how I view that aspect of it:  If you had a chance to date a supermodel, but you knew going in that it would probably be a short-term relationship, would you turn her down?  I wouldn't.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Yeah I agree. The Jags would really have to mismanage this draft and free agency horribly to not be a playoff team within the next year or two. Multiple high draft picks (one of which is a QB is about as close to a can't miss guy as possible) and loads of money. I think he will be successful, but for how long is what I question. The reports that turned me off regarding Meyer were around him 'trying to decide what he wanted to do'; that doesn't sound like a guy that is all in to me. Maybe I read into that a bit too much, but I think any coach, if offered this opportunity, would be crazy not to go all in on it. 

Now that he is hired, my guess is that he may have been using that as a bargaining position to get some of the concessions he did from ownership for such things as pay for his assistants, upgrading the facilities, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Feel free to repost this if it turns out you are right, but I have a strong feeling that your post will not age very well, at all.

Maybe I will be.  I will eat crow if I am.

He won't have the massive talent advantage he had in college, he hasn't shown he ability to develop a QB who could play at the NFL level, he isn't exactly going to a functional franchise, and he has left high-pressure jobs for health reasons before.

We will see if he can overcome those issues.  I doubt it though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...