Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

@.Buzz, would you rather see them replace the LT and RG through the draft or with more experienced free agents?  I've been thinking it would be nice to have rookies who could be around for their whole career just like Trevor.

I don't think they need to replace either. Cam is an average LT and as long as we're not forced to overpay him like crazy I'd prefer to draft a young OL or two to develop but not start out of the gate.

AJ Cann is coming off his best season at RG. Upgradeable but also fairly solid. 

Only way I want either replaced is if it's an obvious veteran upgrade with a young QB in the fold.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don't think they need to replace either. Cam is an average LT and as long as we're not forced to overpay him like crazy I'd prefer to draft a young OL or two to develop but not start out of the gate.

AJ Cann is coming off his best season at RG. Upgradeable but also fairly solid. 

Only way I want either replaced is if it's an obvious veteran upgrade with a young QB in the fold.

Ok, that's good to know.  What positions would you consider our biggest areas of need?

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Ok, that's good to know.  What positions would you consider our biggest areas of need?

TE, DT, S, CB are probably the biggest along with LT (as Cam's an FA, so either he needs to be brought back or an FA/high pick needs to be used to solve it).

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So does that mean we were interviewing him before we even fired Marrone?

Interviewing? No.

Khan's people talking to Urban's people to guage the interest/talk about the possibility? Most definitely.

So... lot of ways this can go, but honest question: Which notable quarterback has Urban actually developed? I know he utlized Tebow effectively in college, and got Troy Smith attention, but in actual NFL development and not collegiate level, did anyone go on to have great success?

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

So... lot of ways this can go, but honest question: Which notable quarterback has Urban actually developed? I know he utlized Tebow effectively in college, and got Troy Smith attention, but in actual NFL development and not collegiate level, did anyone go on to have great success?

Alex Smith.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Alex Smith probably.

Not sure what the issue with that is though. He wasn't trying to develop guys for the pro game, he was trying to develop them for college/what he wanted to do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Not sure what the issue with that is though. He wasn't trying to develop guys for the pro game, he was trying to develop them for college/what he wanted to do.

Yeah, the guys he was working with were decidedly not pro-style QBs. He was working with primarily run-first type QBs who were there to exploit mismatches at the college level. The two that weren't were Alex Smith, who he developed into the #1 overall pick and had a 16 year NFL career where he was the starter for 167 games, and Chris Leak who was just not a good player at all, but he still gamed to a National Championship.

Edited by pwny
  • Like 1