Future QB Discussion

G08

Well, here we are. Standing in line for another spin on the never ending Chicago Bears QB Ferris Wheel.

I'm sure my thoughts will change numerous times this off-season as more information becomes available regarding our scheme, available QBs in FA or via trade, potential draft picks etc. We will have our options but how does one maxamize a run in 2021 while developing a QB for the future?

I can envision a scenario in which Mitch Trubisky returns, with another off-season fully dedicated on tweaking the "Shanahan" offense that we were running late in the season. In doing to, you can focus on drafting at WR and OL with our first two picks. Place a heavy emphasis on running the ball, hope your defense returns to form and bang out 10 wins and save your jobs (Nagy and Pace).

Another scenario involves Nick Foles being our starter, no questions asked, with a cheap veteran backup as QB2. In this instance, we might have to trade up to draft a young QB (unless someone we like falls to us at 20). We likely will have to spend multiple picks on the OL and potentially rely on a day 2/3 rookie WR or a second tier FA to contribute immediately.

The final scenario is trading picks for Sam Darnold. Not sure what the cost would be, I'd imagine at least a 2nd and a 6th (Josh Rosen went for a 2 and a 5 IIRC). Darnold only has one year remaining on his contract so I think he would be the starter with Foles being a helpful backup. Perhaps trade down in the first to recoup some picks and then focus on OL and WR. We need more speed at the position and protection for the QB.

Regardless, these clowns have their work cut out for them. Either Nagy has a "come to Jesus" moment and abandons his bull**** offense or he doubles down and we put resources into hoping Foles will be our savior. I think the Sam Darnold route would be a stretch, but you never know with this franchise.

I think the most likely scenario is the Bears making an ankle grabbing trade up for a QB that can be sold as the future. It is the best way for Pace and Nagy to save themselves for the long term.

Mitch is likely a non-starter as fans would riot and even running the Shannahan offense he sucks against better defenses. They also ran the bus over him again in the press conference.

Foles as the unquestioned starter gets everyone fired.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

Possibilities in FA:

1. Dak Prescott - No.   He is coming off a major injury and I think he is overrated and too expensive.   Would be an albatross on team.   

2. P. Rivers - Aging vet what is point of that?   Plus if he comes back at all likely for Indy and would probably rather retire than play for Bears.  Lack of mobility behind Bears O line gets him killed.  

3. MT - no.

4. Foles - Lack of mobility behind Bears O line makes him a huge liability and unable to succeed.  But strong possibility to return due to contract and lack of interest elsewhere.

5. Jameis Winston - maybe.  Another Bears roller coaster player.   Love him, hate him, love him, hate him. 

6. Cam Newton - Hasn't shown he can play anymore.  Was a liability last years with Panthers and mostly bad for Patriots.

7. Haskins - A knuckle head who hasn't shown he can play in NFL.  Also lacks mobility.

8. Fitz - see 2.

9. J. Brisset.  A contender for the fill in role.   Nothing special.   Not a long term answer.  

10. Tyrod Taylor - maybe most overrated player.   Everyone thinks he will be good following one good season in Buffalo and he never is.   No.  He couldn't succeed with 20x offensive talent in Cleveland and got quickly benched for a mediocre player.   

11.  Dalton - see 2, 4 and 8, but worse than all but 4.

So I would say 4, 5 and 9 are strongest possibilities.  Foles just because he is under contract.

Trade:

1.  Sam Darnold.  23years old.   Still 2 years on rookie contract including 5th.   

2. Tua - Dolphins don't really like him and are drafting high.   Still an unknown in terms of potential coming off major injury in college.  

3. Carson Wentz - Benched in Philly and demanding a trade.  Has looked mostly bad in recent years like Newton.  Expensive.  I liked him coming out, but seems to be regressing.

4. Carr - Raiders don't really like him.  Kind of middle tier QB at his best.   Not sure why he would be better for Bears than he was for Raiders.

45 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Mitch is no longer an option man let's drop that one already. It's clear that he and Nagy don't mesh and that Bears organization chose to ride it out with the HC instead of the QB. Let's all move on.

Can't bring back Mitch...simply not an option.

Barring some bat**** trade/hire for Dak or Watson, Pace HAS to draft a QB high.  For performance reasons and job security reasons, he cannot go into the season with Foles as his QB.

Pace has ??? years on his contract, but another dreary *** season this year with no upside, that means he's gone.  He needs to have some bright side sitting on the roster to justify his existence to ownership that is clearly willing to wait around and see what happens. Also,  we know very well what Foles is, and we need a swing at a better QB. 

Look at the FA options, make a list, then remove the ones that the Bears can't afford.  Look at the list. Vomit.  Tell me Mitch Trubisky isn't on or near the TOP OF THE LIST. They can't go FA.

So they need to draft. BUT.  There are a bunch of high percentage QBs, but there are more teams ahead of them than there are QBs.  No matter what, the Bears are about to overpay for a QB in the draft. They either need to trade up big, giving up likely first round future pickS, or then need to stay put and then vastly overdraft someone like Jones or Trask. 

Basically, we're all morons as we dedicate so much of our time and mental health to this sorry *** team.  

• Like 3

Draft:

1. Lawrence forget it.

2. Fields forget it.

3. Wilson forget it.

4. Mac Jones and Trey Lance may be possible as draft unfolds.

I know nothing about any of these guys outside Lawrence.   

Lawrence isn't getting traded as too much hype.   Next two will cost too much and I don't see Bears winning that bidding war.   

Next two after that would likely cost a first, but one could fall all the way to Bears as well depending on what teams think.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have said this before but it is so difficult to watch Kyle Trask and not see Peyton Manning...his height, frame, set up, motion even his choppy feet are all so similar it's crazy...if only he could be as good.

The arm isn't there. Everything has to be timing and touch.

Manning was a unique processor as well. Hard to project that to the NFL where everything is faster and more complex.

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The arm isn't there. Everything has to be timing and touch.

Manning was a unique processor as well. Hard to project that to the NFL where everything is faster and more complex.

I'm not massively interested in arm strength...Brees & Brady end that argument for me...

I doubt anyone will ever understand a defence the way Manning did...his reads were insane...in my eyes the greatest of all time which is probably why Trask has tried to emulate him.

Guys that like to play around with the cap and understand how trades/cap hits affect teams a little bit more, this question is for you:

Wentz for Foles (obviously that's the base, there would likely be more involved). It seems that the eagles picked wentz over pederson, but hurts showed that things didn't seem to big for him. eagles have the 2nd worst cap situation - would getting rid of wentz solve some of that? i know the trade would affect that, but maybe chicago agrees to take on some of that money?

Eagles: Hurts, Foles, Sudfield

Bears: Wentz, draft pick, Bray

We move on from Mitch, Wentz is our starter and hopefully reverts back to his older self. His play in 2019 with the crap they surrounded him with was impressive, maybe he recaptures that. Eagles move forward with hurts, and receive their backup savior in BDN again - and save quite a bit of cap space between hurts/foles contract compared to wentz. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Draft:

1. Lawrence forget it.

2. Fields forget it.

3. Wilson forget it.

4. Mac Jones and Trey Lance may be possible as draft unfolds.

I know nothing about any of these guys outside Lawrence.   

Lawrence isn't getting traded as too much hype.   Next two will cost too much and I don't see Bears winning that bidding war.   

Next two after that would likely cost a first, but one could fall all the way to Bears as well depending on what teams think.

The only name on that list we can forget about is Lawrence.  Everyone else is fair game. 

In order to ensure they get one of Fields or WIlson Bears will likely have to trade up anywhere between picks 4-6 with Atlanta, Cincinnati or Philly.