Future QB Discussion

G08

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You are obsessed with “if Mitch worked out” he didn’t. It has never worked out for the Bears.

There's no other comparison. That's the only time we have tried to build around a QB on his rookie deal and we were close to being SB contenders by taking that approach which is why you keep trying. Which is my point. 

What do you mean? They were in an NFC Title game 2 years later and were 7-2 when he broke his thumb the next year.

We celebrate 8-8 and 1 and done in the playoffs around here.

Jay never reached the heights we wanted, but “set the franchise back” isn’t even close to accurate.

It absolutely is accurate.

He was garbage in Denver, we backed up the truck to get him, only made the playoffs one time his entire tenure (because of our defense, not Cutler). Then we gave him a huge extension.  Our pass game was garbage and Cutler was a big reason for it. All I heard was how he didn't have weapons, which was BS, because he had a plethora of weapons in Denver and he was still garbage. We surrounded him a good OL, good WRs, a very good RB duo, a very good TE, and he still couldn't help but turn the ball over.  That set the team back for years, big time.

We gave up a ton to get Cutler when our defense was starting to age and we didn't have the capital or cap space to retool because of it. The same mistake we would be making if we traded for Watson--and worse. 

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

There's no other comparison. That's the only time we have tried to build around a QB on his rookie deal and we were close to being SB contenders by taking that approach which is why you keep trying. Which is my point. 

It absolutely is accurate.

He was garbage in Denver, we backed up the truck to get him, only made the playoffs one time his entire tenure (because of our defense, not Cutler). Then we gave him a huge extension.  Our pass game was garbage and Cutler was a big reason for it. All I heard was how he didn't have weapons, which was BS, because he had a plethora of weapons in Denver and he was still garbage. We surrounded him a good OL, good WRs, a very good RB duo, a very good TE, and he still couldn't help but turn the ball over.  That set the team back for years, big time.

We gave up a ton to get Cutler when our defense was starting to age and we didn't have the capital or cap space to retool because of it. The same mistake we would be making if we traded for Watson--and worse. 

I think your alittle out to lunch on good old Cutler. He only got weapons with a dud Tressmen head couch and a garbage defense. Before that he litterly never had a offensive line infront of him and had who at WR? Williams in the Martz O?  I would not even call him garbage in Denver either, he was still only a 3rd year QB. But yes the whole situation scresms the same as trading for Watson IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

With the Lions now in the QB market in the draft we are really on the outside looking in.

I don't really see it changing all that much for us, tbh...

I was expecting to have to trade up to #2-4 to land Wilson regardles,  I'm not sure either us or Detroit has a great shot at Watson, and I'm not sure I care if they takes Fields or Lance and (imo) screw themselves for another 5 years..... So really Detroit doesn't really much of change anything for me...

I'd add, that while Detroit might be a threat to trade up themselves, Stafford is likely going to take another QB hungry team out of the draft pool at the same time. It's kind of a wash.

Edited by Epyon

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

original.gif

@AZBearsFan  Look! ^^^^^

Not at the damn gif! The quote!

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

I don't really see it changing all that much for us, tbh...

I was expecting to have to trade up to #2-4 to land Wilson regardles,  I'm not sure either us or Detroit has a great shot at Watson, and I'm not sure I care if they takes Fields or Lance and (imo) screw themselves for another 5 years..... So really Detroit doesn't really much of change anything for me...

I'd add, that while Detroit might be a threat to trade up themselves, Stafford is likely going to take another QB hungry team out of the draft pool at the same time. It's kind of a wash.

If they trade him to Indy it isn’t a wash.

Detroit will be poised to make a move for a QB with the 7th pick and additional picks from Stafford.

• Like 1

If they trade him to Indy it isn’t a wash.

Detroit will be poised to make a move for a QB with the 7th pick and additional picks from Stafford.

They may also be happy with either Jones or Trask. One of which will almost certainly be there at #7. 

This situation really sucks for the Bears...

On 1/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, Heinz D. said:

No, I don't really see the difference. Or what you even mean by "chances of success". 

I have absolutely no idea what you're getting at, dude. Do you mean win next season? Because the Bears won't likely be doing that no matter what. 

Explain what you're thinking. 

The difference is you can pay your own top QB and make it work or pay a FA QB (Manning, Brady) or draft a QB or even trade a first rounder or two for a top college QB.  

But you can’t trade 9 first rounders or whatever and your best young talent for a paid QB from an already mediocre roster with holes and make it work.  

That is a Herculean task for greatest GM and coach of all time. Much less what we have.   A good QB can’t carry a bad roster to a title.  They usually just end up hurt or .500.  

What would I do if I were owner?  Irrelevant, but I would work to create a whole new top to bottom program and I am likely keeping almost no one there now.  

I tank in 2021 and start over beginning at rebuilding O line which has been too long neglected at OT and then D line.  Then get my QB of future when opportunity arises, because  I am not playing him behind a crap O line and watching him have knee surgery in year one.  A young QB and a bad O line isn’t giving him a proper opportunity to develop and succeed.     

And I also don’t want just anyone with a pulse and a bit of potential at QB because we have to have one.   I want MY guy and I will position myself to get him even if it means trading up and/or tanking.  I get it if I can’t get a Lawrence or a Luck, because getting number 1 pick is hard, but I will still target a particular guy within reason.  If I fail and get the QB wrong I start the whole thing over again 4-5 years later and try again, again with O line first to make sure he has proper chance to succeed.  If I am right I start over again in 10 years.  But that is me, Bears aren’t doing that.

I just don’t want Bears to mortgage future to save a couple of guys on last year of their deals and have not shown they can move the football and cross goal line in this league.  Review reasonable options for QB in 2021 that is fair, you can’t totally hang them out to dry, but please don’t trade farm for anyone including Watson.

But what will be will be.  I don’t think Watson would want to come here personally and he has a no trade clause.  We will see.

51 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The difference is you can pay your own top QB and make it work or pay a FA QB (Manning, Brady) or draft a QB or even trade a first rounder or two for a top college QB.  

But you can’t trade 9 first rounders or whatever and your best young talent for a paid QB from an already mediocre roster with holes and make it work.  

That is a Herculean task for greatest GM and coach of all time. Much less what we have.   A good QB can’t carry a bad roster to a title.  They usually just end up hurt or .500.  

What would I do if I were owner?  Irrelevant, but I would work to create a whole new top to bottom program and I am likely keeping almost no one there now.  

I tank in 2021 and start over beginning at rebuilding O line which has been too long neglected at OT and then D line.  Then get my QB of future when opportunity arises, because  I am not playing him behind a crap O line and watching him have knee surgery in year one.  A young QB and a bad O line isn’t giving him a proper opportunity to develop and succeed.     

And I also don’t want just anyone with a pulse and a bit of potential at QB because we have to have one.   I want MY guy and I will position myself to get him even if it means trading up and/or tanking.  I get it if I can’t get a Lawrence or a Luck, because getting number 1 pick is hard, but I will still target a particular guy within reason.  If I fail and get the QB wrong I start the whole thing over again 4-5 years later and try again, again with O line first to make sure he has proper chance to succeed.  If I am right I start over again in 10 years.  But that is me, Bears aren’t doing that.

I just don’t want Bears to mortgage future to save a couple of guys on last year of their deals and have not shown they can move the football and cross goal line in this league.  Review reasonable options for QB in 2021 that is fair, you can’t totally hang them out to dry, but please don’t trade farm for anyone including Watson.

But what will be will be.  I don’t think Watson would want to come here personally and he has a no trade clause.  We will see.

So how do you expect to ever get a QB? 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

They may also be happy with either Jones or Trask. One of which will almost certainly be there at #7. 

This situation really sucks for the Bears...

If Trask is gone at 7, I'll venmo you $1000. I'd be pretty surprised if Jones is off the board too. Honestly if the Bears come away with 1 of those 2, I'd be 50% pissed and 50% excited because I know Foles + Jones or Trask guarantees another crappy year and consequently (thankfully) a new GM and HC

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

original.gif

@AZBearsFan  Look! ^^^^^

Not at the damn gif! The quote!

It's all good.  I already fought this entire forum after we made that trade and everyone thought I was nuts. 

I had gone back and watched alot of Broncos games and saw nothing that suggested he was as good as his stats indicated and that was with an elite OL, a good TE, a good slot WR, and Marshall.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314117&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

• Like 1