Future QB Discussion

G08

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Pace has to have something up his sleeve. He isn't rolling with Darnold, Minshew, Foles or even Mac Jones. He's either going all in on a big name vet- wilson, Watson, Roethlisberger- or he's getting Lance, Fields or Wilson. His job depends on this. Fitzpatrick? Blah. He's going all in. In 2017 he knew he had to get a QB and he's going to do it again. For as much s*** as I give him, I hope to hell he gets it right

Do you think he'd bet the farm on a rookie QB to come into THIS system and excel as a rookie? That's a much tougher ask, IMO, than rolling with Foles. (and I "hate" Foles)

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Do you think he'd bet the farm on a rookie QB to come into THIS system and excel as a rookie? That's a much tougher ask, IMO, than rolling with Foles. (and I "hate" Foles)

I think Fields or Lance buys him another year or 2 for the reasons I listed- looks good in practice, great in the film room, let him sit for the year (or at least 8 weeks), etc.

I don't think either would have to be dynamite in 2021, but I think Mariota, Minshew, Foles, etc would have to be.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

If the Jets or Dolphins don't just take Wilson outright, someone will trade up and get one of those picks. Fields, depending on his pro day, probably doesn't get past the Eagles pick (whether the Eagles draft him, or not). Lance could fall, that's true--Jordan Love might be a good comp, as far as his draft status. Jones is most definitely going to be a first round pick. 

People forget how rare it is to have 5 QBs drafted in the first round.  3 is pretty common, 5 has happened 3 times in the modern era.  Jones has no special attributes.  Succeeded on a team where every starter on offense is will play in the NFL, with probably 5 or 6 of them being first rounders.  Hes Ken Dorsey.  You're not going to see a QB whose WR won the heisman, and he wasnt even in consideration go in the first round.  If he does, as I said it will be a team moving back into the first to get the 5th year option, but that's not going to be as important as before because its fully guaranteed now.  It's a slightly less expensive franchise tag.  My gut tells me Jones may be there for our 2nd round pick and I still dont want him bc hes just younger Nick Foles.  Hell Jones could end up being that QB who everyone thought would go day 1 or 2 still sitting there on day 3 bc hes not impressive in any way

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think Fields or Lance buys him another year or 2 for the reasons I listed- looks good in practice, great in the film room, let him sit for the year (or at least 8 weeks), etc.

I don't think either would have to be dynamite in 2021, but I think Mariota, Minshew, Foles, etc would have to be.

Hmm... that makes sense. I was thinking they'd need to put up or shut up in 2021 but it does appear Nagy is under contract through 2022 (and I would assume the same for Pace).

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

I would say Chad Pennington...

Are you guys referring to Jones? He throws way too nice of a deep ball to be Pennington. To me he's Foles. His arm isn't strong by any means but he's accurate down the field

22 minutes ago, G08 said:

Hmm... that makes sense. I was thinking they'd need to put up or shut up in 2021 but it does appear Nagy is under contract through 2022 (and I would assume the same for Pace).

If they get someone like Minshew, yes, they're fired. I think they can sell themselves to George for another 1-2 years with Fields or Lance

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

My gut tells me Jones may be there for our 2nd round pick and I still dont want him bc hes just younger Nick Foles.  Hell Jones could end up being that QB who everyone thought would go day 1 or 2 still sitting there on day 3 bc hes not impressive in any way

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Are you guys referring to Jones? He throws way too nice of a deep ball to be Pennington. To me he's Foles. His arm isn't strong by any means but he's accurate down the field

He doesn't remind me a whole lot of Foles, really. I think that's a reach just so as to produce a comparison.

However, wrong or right about that, I think that we really won't know what Mac is until he gets under center and starts to go to work...

40 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the most positive comparison for Mac Jones is Drew Brees.

Brees has 0 + physical tools. He isn’t mobile. But he is so damn accurate and throws with such incredible anticipation it has not mattered.

Brees has a stronger arm than Mac Jones.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the most positive comparison for Mac Jones is Drew Brees.

Brees has 0 + physical tools. He isn’t mobile. But he is so damn accurate and throws with such incredible anticipation it has not mattered.

I think the comparison is more like Tom....the GOAT