Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

With the Wentz trade Darnold value just went way down.  I’d trade a 5th rounder for Darnold.  He’d be a serviceable starter and a major upgrade over Foles.  

I don't know. Darnold has never looked as bad as Wentz did last year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Had Mitch panned out, we'd be in the same boat. At some point, the Bears will have to deal with a monetary outlay for quarterback. Doesn't bother me. If it forces Pace to not spend an inordinate amount of funds on the defense, the franchise is better off, anyway. 

He's panned out better than Darnold, though...

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know. Darnold has never looked as bad as Wentz did last year. 

I don't think everyone shares your opinion. 

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2021/02/18/worlds-no-1-qb-rankings-post-super-bowl-update/

Darnold has never looked anything close to Wentz at his best either --and I'm not a fan of Wentz either.  Darnold's ceiling and floor are both lower than Wentz at this point.

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What seems a reasonable price to you? The thing I like about a second is...we're done with the trade. Nothing next year, no conditional ANYTHING. 

You can't give up a 2nd for Darnold. That would be robbery. Who are we competing against at that price? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't think everyone shares your opinion. 

Well, I mean...the stats do, don't they? 

But whatever. I'm unconcerned. Pretty clear to me who played worse last season. And Wentz is a Colt anyway. So...unless we're debating whether to make a trade with the Colts for Carson Wentz, the point is moot. 

Darnold has never looked anything close to Wentz at his best either --and I'm not a fan of Wentz either.  Darnold's ceiling and floor are both lower than Wentz at this point.

Should that matter?

You can't give up a 2nd for Darnold. That would be robbery. Who are we competing against at that price? 

I don't know. None of us knows. But if the market requires a second...then go that way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If Pace trades a 2nd for Darnold I am going to call for his job for the first time.

For the first time? Lol nice one 

A 2nd seems a bit rich but it wouldn't be the worst trade ever considering its a later 2nd

It's either something like that for Darnold/another vet or trading future picks along with this year's 1st to move up for an unknown QB....or taking a chance one falls to 20

Anyway you look at it..it's not going to be an ideal situation. Gotta get lucky in the draft or hope a retread like Darnold, Minshew etc  catches lightning in a bottle ...or Foles again!

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

Moving up to draft a QB this year puts the Bears in a tough spot because it will likely cost them their 2nd or 3rd in addition to their 1st + future picks and then they won't be able to address the OL & WR spots which sorely need an infusion of young talent 

On the other hand trading anywhere from a 2nd-3rd a for guy like Darnold still gives them a young QB with 1st round talent and some upside at an affordable cap hit while also allowing them to address the OL or WR in the first 3 rounds.

Also both Pace & Nagy likely don't have the time nor patience to wait on rookie to come through when they need to win now. Darnold has been in the league now for 3 years so he's no spring chicken

For these reasons it should not be discounted that this may be the route the Bears take

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, I mean...the stats do, don't they? 

They don't tho lol. That's why I posted them. Not just raw numbers or numbers based on 1 year either. But rather numbers combined with scouting over a 3 year period combined. 

This is the bottom-10 

77 Daniel Jones -3.7 77 73
78 Alex Smith -3.7 78 21
79 Brandon Allen -3.8 79 67
80 Nick Foles -3.9 80 27
81 Dwayne Haskins -4.4 81 29
82 Ryan Finley -4.4 82 80
83 Jake Luton -4.7 83 N/A
84 Mitchell Trubisky -5.0 84 68
85 Carson Wentz -5.2 85 19
86 Sam Darnold -5.7 86 42

I don't think you realize how bad Darnold is. Wentz is not a good QB but even he is better than Darnold.

39 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know. None of us knows. But if the market requires a second...then go that way. 

He has no market value that is worth a 2nd round pick. That's why my question was rhetorical.

Why would a team give up a 2nd if they are the only bidders in that range.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Darnold is worse than Mitch. There might be more unknown with him but what we have seen is worse than Mitch.

Their career stats are not that far off ...but sure based on stat sheets you can say Mitch has been "better".. though the kicker with Darnold is that he's played on a much much worse team the past 3 years than Mitch has

You cannot overlook the fact that the Bears defense has kept Mitch and the offense in most games whereas the Jets were pretty much always playing from behind in Darnold's 3 years as a starter and with worse targets to throw to than Mitch and also a worse OL...

It's not an apples to apples comparison

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Moving up to draft a QB this year puts the Bears in a tough spot because it will likely cost them their 2nd or 3rd in addition to their 1st + future picks

Not exactly. For 10 or lower....yes.  We could  get #10 in exchange for 2020 1st, 2020 2nd(52), and next years 3rd.  

This is exactly what the STeelers gave up to get the #10 pick from the Broncos.

#10 examples
 No. 10: Denver → Pittsburgh (D). 
Denver traded a first-round selection (10th) to Pittsburgh in exchange for Pittsburgh's first- and second-round selections (20th and 52nd) as well as their third-round selection in 2020.

I'm actually in the middle of figuring out what it would take to move up to each pick and how much it would cost based on history and I'm gonna start a thread about it, but I'm not done yet.  

• Like 1

And for the record I do not think Darnold is just going to suddenly turn into some elite QB and revive his career if traded to Bears...just saying there are reasons why a trade would make sense vs other alternatives.

There's just no real sure option at this his point in time. Maybe that changes a month from now once FA starts and some surprising things happen where QBs like Watson/Dak/Carr are made available

Just now, topwop1 said:

And for the record I do not think Darnold is just going to suddenly turn into some elite QB and revive his career if traded to Bears...just saying there are reasons why a trade would make sense vs other alternatives.

There's just no real sure option at this his point in time. Maybe that changes a month from now once FA starts and some surprising things happen where QBs like Watson/Dak/Carr are made available

I think you use Darnold as a last resort IMO. If the well is dry and Pace/Nagy are still looking for a QB to compete with Foles then you take a shot and hope you hit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think you use Darnold as a last resort IMO. If the well is dry and Pace/Nagy are still looking for a QB to compete with Foles then you take a shot and hope you hit. 

Agreed..to me it'd be ideal if Pace had an agreement with either Jets or Jags GM's for Darnold/Minshew only if Bears are unable to secure their guy on draft night

If that's the case then get one of those guys and let them compete with Foles + draft a developmental guy and hope for the best