Future QB Discussion

G08

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

But there are stories floating around out there that suggest that is exactly what these teams will. The same with Stafford. I'd also agree that those possibilities aren't particularly likely (especially in the case of Cousins), but there are rumors about, and I was proceeding as if they may become true. And they may. That's kind of the price teams in a death spiral, with a highly paid quarterback, are going to have to pay. This is most true with the Falcons, who have the best shot at a good, young QB. 

I mean, they're clickbait articles.  You know that.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, they're clickbait articles.  You know that.

Clickbait? Not really. A lot of these rumors don't ever pan out, but NFL reporters do talk to NFL sources, who do give them inside scoops as to the thinking of various folks inside organizations.

I have no idea what's going on with La Canfora, though. He's, like, almost never right about ANYTHING. It's as if everyone within the NFL is punking that guy, all the time. 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Clickbait? Not really. A lot of these rumors don't ever pan out, but NFL reporters do talk to NFL sources, who do give them inside scoops as to the thinking of various folks inside organizations.

I have no idea what's going on with La Canfora, though. He's, like, almost never right about ANYTHING. It's as if everyone within the NFL is punking that guy, all the time. 

Yes.  Clickbait.  They're meant to pull in clicks. Just a quick search would show you that the Falcons releasing Matt Ryan would create nearly $50M in dead cap, nearly $10M more than his cap hit currently is for the upcoming season.  Even trading Matt Ryan creates an extra $3.5M more than his current cap hit.  Don't know how there's any iteration that Matt Ryan isn't the Falcons' starting QB next year.  

I mean, it really isn't that hard to make a rumor since 98% of them don't ever pan out.  Use the common sense test.  If it doesn't pass the common sense test, it's probably not real.  This one's pretty clearly not real.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  Clickbait.  They're meant to pull in clicks. Just a quick search would show you that the Falcons releasing Matt Ryan would create nearly $50M in dead cap, nearly $10M more than his cap hit currently is for the upcoming season.  Even trading Matt Ryan creates an extra $3.5M more than his current cap hit.  Don't know how there's any iteration that Matt Ryan isn't the Falcons' starting QB next year.  

I mean, it really isn't that hard to make a rumor since 98% of them don't ever pan out.  Use the common sense test.  If it doesn't pass the common sense test, it's probably not real.  This one's pretty clearly not real.

Not to mention you have to be very careful with what you read around this time of year with the draft and FA looming. Even when execs, scouts, coaches, etc do talk to the media they may have an agenda behind it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Wentz is most likely a bust. Or, at best, at the lowest echelon of starters, which we shouldn't be going after anyway.

Dak is bonafide. His ankle injury was just a freak occurrence, not anything that should disqualify him conversation as a starter. I was a BIG Dak doubter for a very long time, but he proved me wrong. As @topwop1said, if we could get Dak for nothing but the money we'd have to pay, we'd be set. It would be the biggest blessing the franchise has ever had. (My view, not necessarily @topwop1's...)

Watson is most likely out of the Bears reach, and may not want to come to Chicago anyway. Stafford is an outside possibility. 

As I stated above, Pace and Nagy aren't likely to take a "screw it, throw in the towel" approach to next season. I'd frankly be shocked if that occurred. 

I remember people saying the same things when the Cutler rumors starting making it's rounds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Outside of Trask there really aren’t a lot of 2nd/3rd round QBs for the taking. Ridder went back to school. Newman opted out and the others seem more like day 3 guys. We will see if someone can really show out at the Senior Bowl.

Trask is going in the first round. Someone is going to be desperate and like him enough to justify it.

• Like 1

I don’t think Dak has any of the issues that prevented Cutler from being a good QB. I doubted him at first, but his 2019 season was elite. He’s viewed favorably by many of the advanced metrics like DVOA, ANY/A, and Total QBR. I think he’s just a good QB.

His career arc reminds me a bit of Russell Wilson who was carried by his team for awhile but eventually became an elite QB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malagabears said:

I believe there will be another run on QB´s before we even get to our pick, but it is all moot since I don´t see us picking a round 1 QB. I think both Trask & Jones go 1st round.

Lance, Wilson, Justin Fields, Lawrence, Trask and Jones. That is 6 QBs in the first round. I'm trying to think of all the QB hunger teams -

Jax - 1 Lawrence

Jets - 2 Fields

Dolphins 3 - maybe?

Falcons 4 - Wilson

5- Bengals -  no

6 - Eagles - no

7 -lions - maybe?

I guess even by 7 we have potentially 6 QBs being taken.

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not to mention you have to be very careful with what you read around this time of year with the draft and FA looming. Even when execs, scouts, coaches, etc do talk to the media they may have an agenda behind it. 

That's the deal. You get people leaking stuff that have their own agendas and goals, and more often then not they're not at all apparent to the public. It's hardly sports reporters making things up to get clicks on the internet...

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I remember people saying the same things when the Cutler rumors starting making it's rounds.

Dak has a bigger body of work than Cutler had when the Bears traded for him, though. And the Cutler trade was never really a bad move, or anything. And while I grew tired of Cutler's antics, he was never a bad quarterback. Hardly like, say, the Rick Mirer trade...

Real quickly on the Watson thing, just reading tea leaves based on everything, I dont think Watson is an option not just because of the compensation, I think Watson wants to go somewhere where there is a black HC or GM or both.  He seems to really be pushing the racial issue.  Not that I blame him, he is a young man who grew up in the deep south and has probably experienced racism first hand.  But just based on how he pushes social justice issues, the fact that his response about the Bears not contacting him was a response to a tweet about race, the fact that he is pushing for Bienemy, that he is willing to go to Miami, where there is already a minority GM and HC, that he got upset when the Texans hired another non minority GM after having 2 minority GMs be recommended.  I feel like had the Texans hire Omar Khan or Louis Riddick w/o consulting Watson none of this would be happening.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I guess even by 7 we have potentially 6 QBs being taken.

You can sig quote this, but that will NOT happen.  I believe we've only seen 6 QBs go in the first round once in NFL history, 1983.  And QB6 didn't even come off the board until 27.  We're going to see 3, maybe 4 QBs off the board by 7.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You can sig quote this, but that will NOT happen.  I believe we've only seen 6 QBs go in the first round once in NFL history, 1983.  And QB6 didn't even come off the board until 27.  We're going to see 3, maybe 4 QBs off the board by 7.

This is what I was looking the other day, only the one time has more than 5 QBs gone in the first round, some one is going to be there at 20 if the Bears want to take that person.