Future QB Discussion

G08

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They are not going to. The only options that would really move the needle are not being traded [Carr, Watson, Dak].

The plan isn't going to work and likely was never going to work because good QBs do not switch teams very often.

They need to get lucky on a young guy or catch fire with a reclamation project.

This is why I was as open as I was to Wentz. Not for a 1 though (even a future 1). 

57 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My comparison for Mac Jones is Marc Bulger from back in the day with the Rams.

Hyper accurate, but not physical tools.

Early action Bulger is a good comp. Jones doesn’t have a cannon but he can make all the throws. Pennington’s arm was like mine at nearly 40, and I’ve had a partially torn rotator cuff for about 8 years. Jones’ arm isn’t that. Plus, the whole “need a big arm in Chicago” thing is super overblown. Jones’ touch and accuracy on throws at all levels is VERY good. He seems very cerebral to me pre-snap and while not mobile he’s mobile within the pocket and seems to have a good feel for pressure and great one for where his hot reads are. I see clean mechanics and efficiency, which IMO is what Matt Nagy’s offense needs more than anything. Forget being able to make the 25 yard throw through a tea cup at 100 mph - give me a guy who is consistently accurate and on time with crossing routes, can find his 2nd or 3rd read with regularity and who doesn’t miss easy 8-yard outs on 3rd and 5 because of lazy mechanics. Jones’ upside might be early Bulger or a prime Matt Hasselbeck but JFC sign me up for that, especially if you can get that at 20.

Doesn’t Mac Jones just sound like a Chicago QB? Plus, think of the Mack & Mac billboards taking the place of some of the Urlacher ones on 294...

All of that said, Pace can’t afford to go into the draft with Foles and an empty chair and then sit and wait til 20 hoping his guy is still there. PIT is at 24. NYJ (if they don’t go QB at 2) is at 23. NO is at 28. Any one of them could easily jump up to 18 or 19 and get our guy and leave Pace with his pants around his ankles. He has to remove that kind of obvious situation, which means adding a vet pre-draft who could actually start, or a trade up.

I personally am ALL IN on a trade up for Fields. It would cost us a future 1 and then some, but I think he could be the next Watson. His peak potential is as high as Lawrence (with an obvious lower floor). Given the option between Pace richarding around with a Minshew type or mortgaging the future for the guy who may be the best QB to come out of the draft I’m opting for the latter. Do I think it happens? Noooooo. But we’re here, aren’t we? So WTF go for broke. I’d rather they make a big play for potential greatness and miss than settle for something they don’t really want and wither away in mediocrity. 

• Like 4

I think it's going to be Mac Jones or Kyle Trask... Jones is the pick if he's there at 20. If he's not, I could see us trade down to acquire more picks and draft Trask late in the first round.

Edited by G08

50 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think it's going to be Mac Jones or Kyle Trask... Jones is the pick if he's there at 20. If he's not, I could see us trade down to acquire more picks and draft Trask late in the first round.

If it is either it is going to be a dramatic drop in talent next year.

Bears -  Monty.........Miller/Mooney/Ridley..........Kmet..............Leno/Massie

Bama -  Harris.........Smith/Waddle/Metchie.......Billingsley......Leatherwood/Neal

Gators - Pierce........Toney/Grimes/Copeland.....Pitts...............Forsythe/Delance

Mac is used to a dominating run game opening up elite WR talent, we have neither even though Monty has talent. The OL isn't even comparable.

Trask has no run game (should translate to Chicago easily  lol) and has high end talent with likely the biggest mismatch in college football when healthy last year in Pitts. Kmet had a pretty good rookie season considering his lack of usage early but he isn't even close to Pitts. Forsythe is better than Leno or Massie but Delance is laughably inconsistent at times.

Then compare playcallers of Sarkisian and Mullen to Nagy. Clearly Nagy has the far less impressive body of work.

Regardless for 2020 - its going to take a hell of an offseason to keep the offense competitive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not at all sure that you're right about the stealth extensions, but you're more than likely right (at least in a substantive way) with the rest of that. It's not a "NFC Championship Game or bust" sort of thing unfurling next season, it's a "how do we do with improved quarterback play?" kind of deal...

I'm not sure I'm right or wrong about any of it lol.  I was just throwing out a possible logical scenario is all.  

We'll know more in a couple months. If Nagy can't get his guy via first wave of FA or the draft then don't rule out a late vet signing in August to backup Foles.

12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Nagy was given a hush extension, but I wouldn't put it past them to have given Pace an extension to line his deal up with Nagy's since it was known that Pace's deal was initially expiring at the end of 2021 vs Nagy's in 2022.

I guess it makes sense in a way as I always saw the both of them as a package deal.

That's probably why Ted Phillips was so hesitant is answering that question at the season ending press conference over a month ago.  Just bizarre that they wouldn't have made it public.

But yes they very well could have more of job security then what is perceived by fans and the media.  I could totally see that being the case.

Not wanting to add to the large amount of harsh criticism that they were already facing at the time?

6 teams that are in front of us in the draft that need QBs:

2) Jets
8) Panthers
9) Broncos
12) 49ers
15) Patriots
19) Washington

I'm sticking with my original prediction.  We move up a few spots and draft Mac Jones. 

I could see it being the Patriots at #15 since Belichick loves trading down and stock-piling picks mid-late rd picks, and Pace has traded with the Patriots twice in the last 3 years, and Washinton being ahead of us. 

**Bears trade 1st [#20] and 3rd [#83] in exchange for the Patriots #15. 

Or I could also see Pace moving up to 13 to get ahead of the Patriots to get Jones out of fear of losing out on Jones (especially with the Saban/Belichick connection). 

**Bears trade 1st [20), 5th [165], and Anthony Miller in exchange for Chargers 1st [#13] and 6th [#201].

Now, is Mac Jones worth #13 or #15? That's debatable. But I wouldn't be mad at either of these proposed trades.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

For what it's worth ...former NFL QB and coach June Jones, more recently the GM and HC of the Houston Rednecks of the XFL, recently stated on record that he thinks Mac Jones is going to be the best QB to come out of this class and said he wouldn't take Trevor Lawrence 1st overall.  

Part of his reasoning is that he thinks Jones has one of the best deep balls he's ever seen from a college QB prospect and he loves the way he leads and throws his WRs open.

He also has Zach Wilson as his #2.

Here's the article if anyone is interested

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-qb-3-thats-how-one-former-nfl-coach-grades-him-205523234.html

• Like 1

Sam Darnold could be available for a team's second round pick. 

The Jets are widely expected to use the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, making Darnold expendable after Adam Gase nearly destroyed his career. League sources told SportsNet New York's Ralph Vacchiano that the Eagles trading Carson Wentz to the Colts for a third rounder and a conditional second rounder wouldn't change the Jets' asking price for Darnold. Vacchiano reports the Jets' asking price for their QB "has long been projected to be a second-round pick, plus maybe another mid-to-late rounder." Incredibly just 23 years old, Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold. 

58 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

For what it's worth ...former NFL QB and coach June Jones, more recently the GM and HC of the Houston Rednecks of the XFL, recently stated on record that he thinks Mac Jones is going to be the best QB to come out of this class and said he wouldn't take Trevor Lawrence 1st overall.  

Part of his reasoning is that he thinks Jones has one of the best deep balls he's ever seen from a college QB prospect and he loves the way he leads and throws his WRs open.

He also has Zach Wilson as his #2.

Here's the article if anyone is interested

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-qb-3-thats-how-one-former-nfl-coach-grades-him-205523234.html

I can see why he had settle for a job in the XFL. 

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't think Trevor is the clear #1 QB loses all credibility with me. They are either blind, or just trying to be different for the sake of being different. 

Mac Jones is a raw project QB with limited mobility on a limited number of snaps.  Outside of mobility....this sounds like another QB I know.  

That said, he has upside and if he doesn't look like much in 2021 then the season is probably lost anyhow and the next regime can choose to either keep him as a backup QB with starting potential, or they can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd to another team like Diem did with Rosen in Arizona.   

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I can see why he had settle for a job in the XFL. 

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't think Trevor is the clear #1 QB loses all credibility with me. They are either blind, or just trying to be different for the sake of being different. 

Mac Jones is a raw project QB with limited mobility on a limited number of snaps.  Outside of mobility....this sounds like another QB I know.  

That said, he has upside and if he doesn't look like much in 2021 then the season is probably lost anyhow and the next regime can choose to either keep him as a backup QB with starting potential, or they can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd to another team like Diem did with Rosen in Arizona.   

Everyone is entitled to their opinion ...just thought I'd share it for some chatter.  I was posting this more to show that Mac Jones is perhaps rated higher than a lot of people tend to believe.

Obviously Lawrence is going to be the #1 for most people...but it's always good to see some different perspectives.

Remember all the draft pundits that said Watson was ranked behind Trubisky back in 2017 or the same ones that said Jameis Winston was going to be the next great NFL QB?

I mean it's not as if it doesn't happen every year where people are wrong...

• Like 3