Future QB Discussion

G08

How about QBBC? 

Keep Foles and sign all of the above;  Trubisky, Mariota, Jimmy G, Dalton, Winston, Cam, Keenum, Kaepernick, and Mullens.  

We start whichever QB has had the most success (statistically) against each individual opponent. 

Lions x2 = Sign and start Trubisky. He's had a lot of success against them.

Packers x2 = Sign and start Jimmy G and/or Bradford. They both have had some success against the Packers. 

Vikings x2 = Start Nick Foles.

Cardinals = Start Jimmy G.

49ers = Jameis Winston or Cam Newton.

Ravens = Cam, Mitch, or Mariota.

Bengals = Time to drag Case Keenum out of bed for this one. 

NYG = Mitch, Winston or Foles.

Browns = Andy Dalton for this game.

Rams = Either Jimmy G or Kaepernick

Steelers = Oh god....Cam....maybe??? Might have to take an L here.

Seahawks = Nick Mullens or go with Cam.

Bucs = Gotta start Mitch here and hope he can replicate his career high 350+ 6TD game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dafreak said:

Sam Darnold could be available for a team's second round pick. 

The Jets are widely expected to use the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, making Darnold expendable after Adam Gase nearly destroyed his career. League sources told SportsNet New York's Ralph Vacchiano that the Eagles trading Carson Wentz to the Colts for a third rounder and a conditional second rounder wouldn't change the Jets' asking price for Darnold. Vacchiano reports the Jets' asking price for their QB "has long been projected to be a second-round pick, plus maybe another mid-to-late rounder." Incredibly just 23 years old, Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold. 

I'd consider it, but the ***** of it is that regardless of how he plays in 2021, if you want to keep him in 2022 it'll likely cost you $25M.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If it is either it is going to be a dramatic drop in talent next year.

Bears -  Monty.........Miller/Mooney/Ridley..........Kmet..............Leno/Massie

Bama -  Harris.........Smith/Waddle/Metchie.......Billingsley......Leatherwood/Neal

Gators - Pierce........Toney/Grimes/Copeland.....Pitts...............Forsythe/Delance

Mac is used to a dominating run game opening up elite WR talent, we have neither even though Monty has talent. The OL isn't even comparable.

Trask has no run game (should translate to Chicago easily  lol) and has high end talent with likely the biggest mismatch in college football when healthy last year in Pitts. Kmet had a pretty good rookie season considering his lack of usage early but he isn't even close to Pitts. Forsythe is better than Leno or Massie but Delance is laughably inconsistent at times.

Then compare playcallers of Sarkisian and Mullen to Nagy. Clearly Nagy has the far less impressive body of work.

Regardless for 2020 - its going to take a hell of an offseason to keep the offense competitive.

Isn’t a step back in surrounding talent (by comparison to the opposing competition) pretty much the norm for QBs coming from the top programs in college though? Lawrence, Fields and Jones are all going to experience that this year. Burrow did last year. Look at Deshaun Watson’s surrounding talent at Clemson. IMO, either a guy can play or he can’t. It’s certainly possible if not probable that having those weapons made Jones better. But, Smith and Waddle also had their best seasons under Jones. It’s entirely possible that he elevated their games too. It’s not like Jones himself was some no star walk-on. The lack of starting experience concern for Jones is real but it’s also entirely different than that for Mitch since Jones was on the bench behind a top 5 pick and Heisman finalist and not some bum who never made the NFL.

I’m super high on Jones, so impartiality when it comes to him may be proving difficult for me, but if this was 2008 and not 2021 he might be a reasonably consensus QB2. He fits all of the old QB prototypes as far as size, intangibles and accuracy go, but he’s not a dual threat nor does he have a mega ridiculous arm which is what everyone seems to want these days. He’s a QB built in the Eli Manning / Matt Ryan mold. But current trends aside - accurate, efficient, non-running QBs who make good decisions with the ball will always have a place in this league. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

14 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That works. No future picks. Keeps first and third rounders secure. The question would then become; who do you get behind him? If you keep Foles, then there isn't as much urgency...but you still need to get another young guy. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I’d give like a 2021 5 and a conditional 2022 pick that starts as a 4, reasonably becomes a 3 and could maybe be a 2 if he's awesome here, but that's pushing it. If he’s available at all it’s because they’re replacing him so (much like Wentz) his market value has a shelf life, and as such not a ton of leverage. With this deal he gets a 1-year tryout that allows us financially to keep ARob, build up around him a little bit and set him up for success. I would NOT exercise the option though. If he’s good then we gladly pay a 2 next year and extend him or tag him after the cap goes up $30M or so. If he stinks or is otherwise pedestrian then our costs are limited and don’t crush our ability to draft a guy high next year under what would presumably be a new regime.

To be clear I don’t particularly like this scenario, but it gives us a puncher’s chance at a long term solution with limited long term risk and it doesn’t undermine our ability to fill the holes we need to to give it a decent chance to work. If we make the expected/available extensions/cuts with this move we’d have some room to maneuver in FA for capable players (or one expensive one and a bunch of low end stop gap vets) even if we end up franchising ARob vs. extending him. As rough framework:

Trade for Darnold

Tag ARob

Sign Daryl Williams or Taylor Moton at RT 

1-20 WR Kedarius Toney, Florida

2-52 LT Dillon Radunz, ND State 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

Again with Darnold... $25M to keep him after this season. I don't like that based on his track record in the NFL.

Had Mitch panned out, we'd be in the same boat. At some point, the Bears will have to deal with a monetary outlay for quarterback. Doesn't bother me. If it forces Pace to not spend an inordinate amount of funds on the defense, the franchise is better off, anyway. 

Edited by Heinz D.

45 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d give like a 2021 5 and a conditional 2022 pick that starts as a 4, reasonably becomes a 3 and could maybe be a 2 if he's awesome here, but that's pushing it. If he’s available at all it’s because they’re replacing him so (much like Wentz) his market value has a shelf life, and as such not a ton of leverage. With this deal he gets a 1-year tryout that allows us financially to keep ARob, build up around him a little bit and set him up for success. I would NOT exercise the option though. If he’s good then we gladly pay a 2 next year and extend him or tag him after the cap goes up $30M or so. If he stinks or is otherwise pedestrian then our costs are limited and don’t crush our ability to draft a guy high next year under what would presumably be a new regime.

To be clear I don’t particularly like this scenario, but it gives us a puncher’s chance at a long term solution with limited long term risk and it doesn’t undermine our ability to fill the holes we need to to give it a decent chance to work. If we make the expected/available extensions/cuts with this move we’d have some room to maneuver in FA for capable players (or one expensive one and a bunch of low end stop gap vets) even if we end up franchising ARob vs. extending him. As rough framework:

Trade for Darnold

Tag ARob

Sign Daryl Williams or Taylor Moton at RT 

1-20 WR Kedarius Toney, Florida

2-52 LT Dillon Radunz, ND State 

The only way I'd really be ok with acquiring Darnold, is if the Bears paid the Iron price, not the gold

With the Wentz trade Darnold value just went way down.  I’d trade a 5th rounder for Darnold.  He’d be a serviceable starter and a major upgrade over Foles.  I wouldn’t worry too much at pay him in 2022.  He needs to get through 2021 first.  Plus I like the situation darnold is in.  He’ll be excited to come to a better bears team on a contract year.  He should be really motivated.  

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If Pace trades a 2nd for Darnold I am going to call for his job for the first time.

What seems a reasonable price to you? The thing I like about a second is...we're done with the trade. Nothing next year, no conditional ANYTHING.