Future QB Discussion

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

What do you give up and why give up draft capital for a bridge starter?

Ideally a 5th would be fair but it may take more than that ...and you give it up because he's already shown he can be a somewhat effective NFL QB, he's still young and on a very affordable contract. There's way more upside to it vs some of the other options that will potentially available like Dalton, Fitzpatrick or Tyrod Taylor

34 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ideally a 5th would be fair but it may take more than that ...and you give it up because he's already shown he can be a somewhat effective NFL QB, he's still young and on a very affordable contract. There's way more upside to it vs some of the other options that will potentially available like Dalton, Fitzpatrick or Tyrod Taylor

Idk. I think he'd be a great back up for Lawrence and then there is a chance of a team overpaying for him when he does hit FA. It might be cheaper to replace him with a draft pick when he leaves and maybe even nets a comp pick if they're not big spenders in FA when he leaves. 

Unless someone wants to part with an early 4th I wouldn't even consider it. I'd probably aim for a 3rd or bust though. 

53 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Watson rumors again? It's not going to happen and I still gets my hopes up. lol

I don't know, man. I'd say it's unlikely to happen, sure. But there are a lot of really good reasons for Watson to come to Chicago. And, for Houston, they get him out of the AFC. 

I really hope the bears don’t trade for Watson just from a cost stand point.  The bears would have to trade so much that they would never be able to build a team around him.  It would be the cutler trade all over again.  Bears need to do it organically to have a chance at success.  They need to tank a year and get a top 3 pick again.  That is why you trade for a Minshew or Sam darnold.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I really hope the bears don’t trade for Watson just from a cost stand point.  The bears would have to trade so much that they would never be able to build a team around him.  It would be the cutler trade all over again.  Bears need to do it organically to have a chance at success.  They need to tank a year and get a top 3 pick again.  That is why you trade for a Minshew or Sam darnold.  

Agreed but once Nagy and Pace were retained without some kind of 2-3 year extension (which I am NOT advocating for here) this option went off the board. They aren’t facilitating a tank job only to be fired for it. 

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Minshew doesn't get the Bears a top 10 pick.

The defense is too good. They will win 7-8 games with whoever plays QB.

Exactly. Without a big move of some kind we will just continue to linger in mediocrity. 

What happened to Kyle Trask’s draft stock?  He has no buzz around him. Everyone is mocking him in the 3rd round.  What I am missing. Why is his stock so low?  I remember when he scored 40 pts against Alabama in the SEC champ game and outplayed Mac Jones with lesser talent and almost won. But Mac Jones is somehow the first round talent and Trask is not.   I remember watching a lot of college football and thinking this guy passes the eye test.    

1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

What happened to Kyle Trask’s draft stock?  He has no buzz around him. Everyone is mocking him in the 3rd round.  What I am missing. Why is his stock so low?  I remember when he scored 40 pts against Alabama in the SEC champ game and outplayed Mac Jones with lesser talent and almost won. But Mac Jones is somehow the first round talent and Trask is not.   I remember watching a lot of college football and thinking this guy passes the eye test.    

I saw one that had the Bears taking him in the second...but yeah, you're right. In general he seems to have dropped a fair amount. Maybe because Wentz was traded, and Darnold and Watson probably will be, too? You got me. I know Trask's last game wasn't exactly stellar, but I don't think that would be enough to drop him into the third. Pretty weird--the kid's a great quarterback. 

2 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Very, very limited experience even dating back to high school.