Future QB Discussion

G08

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I think it's largely where it was, but there is some variance with QBs who aren't first round guys.  One thing to note is that in recent history (last 6 years), second round QBs haven't really been a thing and the ones that have been picked have been kind of disasters (kizer, lock, hack). Only hurts looks like something and his pick was kind of panned at the time.

But 4 in 6 years is quirky. I feel like the nfl has just moved away from valuing them there, which is kind of weird because prior to this run, there was some success with those types (carr, Jimmy g, dalton, kaepernick). 

I just wonder if teams aren't moving towards a market where they are valuing those guys a little more later, especially ones without a special skill set. I thought Eason was easily worth a second last year and he fell to the 4th. 

I think it makes sense. Teams at the top of round 2 are typically so QB needy, that they take one in their draft position in the first, eliminating the need. Likewise, if a team is good enough to do well during the season but still needs that qb, waiting until the back end of the 2nd round is risky, and those QBs will get taken in the back of the first (lamar, teddy, love) and if for whatever reason a team needing a qb doesn't take one high in the first, they will with their high second. (dalton - green, carr - mack)

in the case of kaep and jimmy, those were both smaller school kids that were either raw or flawed, but had enough to show something...but not necessarily first round picks, but upside picks. they were taken in the 2nd by teams that didn't necessarily need them at the time (pats and 49ers) (also, love again with GB)

the trend that we are starting to see, especially at QB where they have always been drafted high, is that if a guy is a 2nd round talent, you better take him in take him in the first if you definitely want him. If a guy has traits but still questionable, maybe is a 3rd round talent, take him in the 2nd (hurts, and these are becoming much more rare). If teams start seeing guys that have traits, but aren't likely seen as starters, they're starting to go in the 4th or 5th round (eason, fromm) because teams are starting to realize that draft picks are wicked important, and are going to spend the top 3 rounds on players they expect to be impact starters. That is why we are seeing the death of late 2nd, early 3rd round qbs (foles, wilson). sure, there are definitely exceptions (dak, wilson, foles to an extent) but if a team believes a guy can be a starter, he goes in the first.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I think it's largely where it was, but there is some variance with QBs who aren't first round guys.  One thing to note is that in recent history (last 6 years), second round QBs haven't really been a thing and the ones that have been picked have been kind of disasters (kizer, lock, hack). Only hurts looks like something and his pick was kind of panned at the time.

But 4 in 6 years is quirky. I feel like the nfl has just moved away from valuing them there, which is kind of weird because prior to this run, there was some success with those types (carr, Jimmy g, dalton, kaepernick). 

I just wonder if teams aren't moving towards a market where they are valuing those guys a little more later, especially ones without a special skill set. I thought Eason was easily worth a second last year and he fell to the 4th. 

I wonder if this is due to teams developing a better understanding of the CBA. We're seeing more QBs drafted at the end of the 1st round. The 5th year option is valuable when it comes to QBs.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Saw that. Oof. I think he's, like, 33 now? I said earlier that if he wants to come to Chicago, the Bears should make that a priority. 

But...at that age, the price can't be super high. Can't do a Watson type trade for a guy eight years older. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Saw that. Oof. I think he's, like, 33 now? I said earlier that if he wants to come to Chicago, the Bears should make that a priority. 

But...at that age, the price can't be super high. Can't do a Watson type trade for a guy eight years older. 

I would trade two 1sts + some mid/late picks for him hands down. This guy is still one of the best QBs in the league and his resume speaks for itself. I don't think it has a realistic chance of happening though. Seahawks probably won't give him up for anything less than a haul of picks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I would trade two 1sts + some mid/late picks for him hands down. This guy is still one of the best QBs in the league and his resume speaks for itself. I don't think it has a realistic chance of happening though. Seahawks probably won't give him up for anything less than a haul of picks 

I don't know about that. The Cowboys and Raiders both can dangle a franchise quarterback in a trade. The Saints at least have A quarterback the Seahawks might want--plus a ton of other players to choose from. (I think Brees retires for sure if the Saints go for Wilson.) I'm not sure the Bears have anything close to  comparable firepower as these other teams--the Seahawks are going to want to remain relevant, they aren't looking for a full rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know about that. The Cowboys and Raiders both can dangle a franchise quarterback in a trade. The Saints at least have A quarterback the Seahawks might want--plus a ton of other players to choose from. (I think Brees retires for sure if the Saints go for Wilson.) I'm not sure the Bears have anything close to  comparable firepower as these other teams--the Seahawks are going to want to remain relevant, they aren't looking for a full rebuild. 

Ya I meant from Bears. Pace doesn't really have much to offer...nor do I believe the Saints do either.

Cowboys and Raiders could send back Dak or Carr as part of the deal or their first round picks which are higher than Bears

Bears are in a tough spot here.

Let's get the ball rolling for Minshew Mania!!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Let's get the ball rolling for Minshew Mania!!!!

I'm fine with that! 

31 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

This Russel Wilson rumor is only out because it’s February with no combine to talk about so the NFL reporters need to fill content and write articles. There is zero chance it happens.  Fun to talk about but not happening 🦄🌈🦄

He's probably not being traded...but the overall reporting isn't fantasy. Wilson is really pissed off. 

7 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

This Russel Wilson rumor is only out because it’s February with no combine to talk about so the NFL reporters need to fill content and write articles. There is zero chance it happens.  Fun to talk about but not happening 🦄🌈🦄

Never believe what you read from the media at this time of year. Alot of it is used as a smokescreen.

Unfortunately, you have idiots who do believe everything they read on twitter or other social media outlets. 

I was just sharing a tweet I thought people would be interested in.   

Sharing a tweet doesn't always mean I believe it or endorse it.

Neither does my liking a post.   A lot of times I like something because I thought it was thoughtful or original or whatever.   

Not because that is my opinion as well.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Neither does my liking a post.   A lot of times I like something because I thought it was thoughtful or original or whatever.   

While it is the time of year we love to speculate the only realistic target I forsee is Minshew.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Agree, no reason to be calling people idiots. Uncalled for.