Future QB Discussion

G08

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Who do you guys think wins a QB battle between 

Foles

Brissett

Trask

I think the better question is, would it really matter? Foles and Brissett are just guys who have lost starting jobs on QB-needy teams already, and Trask is maybe the 6th best QB prospect in this class. This being our actual scenario would be incredibly uninspiring. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the better question is, would it really matter? Foles and Brissett are just guys who have lost starting jobs on QB-needy teams already, and Trask is maybe the 6th best QB prospect in this class. This being our actual scenario would be incredibly uninspiring. 

Yeah, Trask is the fifth or sixth best prospect in this class...but, he's still a pretty darned good prospect. 

I hadn't really thought about it before, but this COULD be the best QB draft we've seen in a while. I really doubt that either of the top two guys will bust, and I'd put money on the third guy, too. And then the next three guys all have a shot. It's potentially better than 2018. 

51 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I said this to @Heinz D. recently in a back and forth. No way Pace gets fired without making a huge play for a QB. No clue who or how but he's not going into 2021 with Foles, Fitzpatrick, waiting until #20, or a 2nd round pick. He's going to go all in or at least try

It sure does sound like the possibility exists that Pace is thinking big. I think the one dude latches on to Pace's "things that haven't been talked about" comment...as nearly EVERYTHING, every QB, has been discussed in the football media. I guess maybe Matt Ryan sort of fits that "out of left field" criteria, but he's the only established quarterback that does. And I think dude on the end was wrong, too. Without looking it up, I think Ryan is 35, not 33. 

I sure hope they don't trade Roquan, though. I mean...if, say, the Texans insist on Roquan, then fine. But otherwise, I'm offering up probably three other defenders INSTEAD of Smith. 

You know, the more I think about it...the Dolphins are a team that is pretty much there. And they have a bunch of cap space. If they're happy with Tua, and can't get Watson...how about Mack, Allen Robinson, Jaylon Johnson, #20, and a 2022 1st plus 2022 4th, for the #3 pick? Note--that's just spitballing on my part. I haven't taken the time to figure things out, this is just a ballpark sort of trade guess/scenario. If Miami is convinced that Tua will shine next year (and let's face it, they probably should be), then that trade puts them in the position where they could conceivably end up with a first round bye in the playoffs. Remember, they would STILL have two 2021 first round picks after the trade. 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:42 PM, Heinz D. said:

Have some major, high-octane "Watson to the Dolphins" vibes going on.

What do you guys think about Tua? I'd think the Texans would want to keep Tua, and trade #3, but you never know...

If we can buy low on a top 5 pick who was decent as a rookie coming off a major injury we would have to be interested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It sure does sound like the possibility exists that Pace is thinking big. I think the one dude latches on to Pace's "things that haven't been talked about" comment...as nearly EVERYTHING, every QB, has been discussed in the football media. I guess maybe Matt Ryan sort of fits that "out of left field" criteria, but he's the only established quarterback that does. And I think dude on the end was wrong, too. Without looking it up, I think Ryan is 35, not 33. 

I sure hope they don't trade Roquan, though. I mean...if, say, the Texans insist on Roquan, then fine. But otherwise, I'm offering up probably three other defenders INSTEAD of Smith. 

You know, the more I think about it...the Dolphins are a team that is pretty much there. And they have a bunch of cap space. If they're happy with Tua, and can't get Watson...how about Mack, Allen Robinson, Jaylon Johnson, #20, and a 2022 1st plus 2022 4th, for the #3 pick? Note--that's just spitballing on my part. I haven't taken the time to figure things out, this is just a ballpark sort of trade guess/scenario. If Miami is convinced that Tua will shine next year (and let's face it, they probably should be), then that trade puts them in the position where they could conceivably end up with a first round bye in the playoffs. Remember, they would STILL have two 2021 first round picks after the trade. 

I think Ryan would have a MAJOR dead cap hit to Atlanta. I'm thinking Watson, Carr, Prescott, Wilson (also a huge dead cap hit) or a big trade up

Just now, beardown3231 said:

I think Ryan would have a MAJOR dead cap hit to Atlanta. I'm thinking Watson, Carr, Prescott, Wilson (also a huge dead cap hit) or a big trade up

Yeah, between the cap hit for Atlanta (which the Bears wouldn't be in a position to help with much), and Ryan's age...that's probably the least likely "big move" scenario. 

24 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think they would probably laugh. I'd venture to guess the majority of fans- me included- would be pretty disappointed if drafting Jones was their big QB move

Oh, don't get me wrong, Jones would not be my first choice to fix the QB problem. But I DO like him.

However, we had Green Bay fans foaming at the mouth about Trubisky...and a lot of their justifications for him being a bust was BECAUSE THE BEARS DRAFTED HIM. 

Yeah. It was that insane. If the Bears have to settle for Mac Jones, the Packers fans will STILL freak out. Guaranteed.