Future QB Discussion

G08

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's tough. If they just go all-out for the third pick (like I put forth above)...that could drop any day know. Anything else--hoo, boy. Hard to say. 

These days I just don't have the time/energy to play out 30 different permutations of what could happen. I mean, really, this could be anything from trading up to a top 3 pick, or trading Khalil Mack, Roquan Smith, Eddie Jackson and #20 for Deshaun Watson.

Interesting to note that a couple high profile teammates of  Mac Jones and who were also teammates with Tua last year said they preferred Mac Jones as their QB.. which is pretty telling.

I honestly never thought too highly of Tua and he went 5th overall. 

Don't sleep on Jones..he may end up going higher than a lot of us think.

Chris Simms has him ranked as the 3rd best QB in this class behind Wilson and Lawrence FWIW

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Interesting to note that a couple high profile teammates of  Mac Jones and who were also teammates with Tua last year said they preferred Mac Jones as their QB.. which is pretty telling.

Who said that? 

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Both Waddle and Smith were reported to say they preferred Jones over Tua. 

Yep. Two probable first round picks at WR said they preferred Mac

Ive been saying for a while now that Jones would be a good consolation prize if not able to get a guy like Zach Wilson or Justin Fields but I don't think there's any way he lasts til 20 now

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Both Waddle and Smith were reported to say they preferred Jones over Tua. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Yep. Two probable first round picks at WR said they preferred Mac

Ive been saying for a while now that Jones would be a good consolation prize if not able to get a guy like Zach Wilson or Justin Fields but I don't think there's any way he lasts til 20 now

I just feel like the NFL is moving toward mobile/athletic QBs:

Aaron Rodgers (big arm, mobile)
Deshaun Watson (big arm, mobile)
Patrick Mahomes (huge arm, mobile)
Josh Allen (huge arm, mobile)
Ryan Tannehill (good arm, mobile)
Drew Brees (good arm, not mobile)
Russell Wilson (big arm, mobile)
Kirk Cousins (good arm, fairly mobile)
Tom Brady (big arm, not mobile)
Derek Carr (big arm, mobile)
Dak Prescott (big arm, mobile)
Lamar Jackson (big arm, mobile)
Justin Herbert (big arm, mobile)

So on and so forth. That's what you want in today's NFL. Mac Jones has neither a big arm nor is mobile.

HOWEVER

His arm is good enough and he has better athleticism than some give him credit

55 minutes ago, G08 said:

I just feel like the NFL is moving toward mobile/athletic QBs:

Aaron Rodgers (big arm, mobile)
Deshaun Watson (big arm, mobile)
Patrick Mahomes (huge arm, mobile)
Josh Allen (huge arm, mobile)
Ryan Tannehill (good arm, mobile)
Drew Brees (good arm, not mobile)
Russell Wilson (big arm, mobile)
Kirk Cousins (good arm, fairly mobile)
Tom Brady (big arm, not mobile)
Derek Carr (big arm, mobile)
Dak Prescott (big arm, mobile)
Lamar Jackson (big arm, mobile)
Justin Herbert (big arm, mobile)

So on and so forth. That's what you want in today's NFL. Mac Jones has neither a big arm nor is mobile.

HOWEVER

His arm is good enough and he has better athleticism than some give him credit

I don't think Mac Jones is any less mobile than Cousins or Herbert but I do get what you're saying.

Tho I disagree with people acting like he's some terrible athlete.  He can still buy time with his feet even though he's not some super athlete runner.  And his arm is more than good enough.  He's one of the best deep ball college QBs to come out in a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G08 said:

^ Would I hate him at #20? No, but if we trade up for him that would be tough to stomach. I also don't know how Pace/Nagy risk their careers on him (let alone in a trade up).

Well...I doubt Jones is Plan A. It wouldn't bother me if we ended up with him, though. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Mac Jones is any less mobile than Cousins or Herbert but I do get what you're saying.

Tho I disagree with people acting like he's some terrible athlete.  He can still buy time with his feet even though he's not some super athlete runner.  And his arm is more than good enough.  He's one of the best deep ball college QBs to come out in a while.

To be fair, though, Chad Pennington had a great deep ball. Doesn't mean he had a great arm, etc. 

This is an interesting video.  I didn't like hearing him put Wilson above Lawrence, but what do I know?  I don't watch college football.  I'm still just fine with the Jags going with Trevor at #1.  According to many of the comments of the video, Chris Simms has called a lot of them right over the last few years.

One guy I haven't heard talked about in this thread is his #4 QB, Kellen Mond from Texas Tech.  He had Mond rated higher than Justin Fields and Trey Lance! 

He is also very high on Mac Jones and gives good reasons for why he thinks that way.  I heard him say in another video that Mac Jones has a strong tennis background and that has contributed to his good footwork.  As a former tennis player myself, I was impressed to hear him say this because you HAVE TO have good footwork to play tennis well.  I've heard it said that proper footwork is the foundation of every single athletic endeavor.  If Mac Jones is very strong in this area, that is an advantage over a lot of other very athletic QBs who don't have that.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is an interesting video.  I didn't like hearing him put Wilson above Lawrence, but what do I know?  I don't watch college football.  I'm still just fine with the Jags going with Trevor at #1.  According to many of the comments of the video, Chris Simms has called a lot of them right over the last few years.

One guy I haven't heard talked about in this thread is his #4 QB, Kellen Mond from Texas Tech.  He had Mond rated higher than Justin Fields and Trey Lance!  He is also very high on Mac Jones and gives good reasons for why he thinks that way.  I also heard him say in another video that Mac Jones has a strong tennis background and that has contributed to his good footwork.  As a former tennis player myself, I was impressed to hear him say this because you HAVE TO have good footwork to play tennis well.  I've heard it said that proper footwork is the foundation of every single athletic endeavor.  If Mac Jones is very strong in this area, that is an advantage over a lot of other very athletic QBs who don't have that.

I'm also surprised he had Mond at #4. Not only that, but him saying Mond should be a for-sure first round pick. As most everybody else had him as a lower round pick, I don't think I've bothered to watch Mond at all. Hmmm. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm also surprised he had Mond at #4. Not only that, but him saying Mond should be a for-sure first round pick. As most everybody else had him as a lower round pick, I don't think I've bothered to watch Mond at all. Hmmm. 

Yeah, I'd never even heard of the guy.  He could be an option for the Bears, or if nothing else, maybe he could push Fields or Lance down so you guys don't have to trade up one of them.

I was also surprised to hear that he had Mac Jones as his #3.  His draft stock really seems to be rising quickly.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah, I'd never even heard of the guy.  He could be an option for the Bears, or if nothing else, maybe he could push Fields or Lance down so you guys don't have to trade up one of them.

I was also surprised to hear that he had Mac Jones as his #3.  His draft stock really seems to be rising quickly.

I'd heard of Mond, but then again I'm a fan of a QB-needy team. 😁 The knock on him was always a lack of consistency, but maybe Simms sees enough good there that he feels it overcomes that. He is supposed to have a "plus" arm, so Simms is obviously right in that regard.

And yeah, Jones looks like he's not going to have to wait around very long on draft day. A couple mocks I've seen have the Bears trading up to get him. My hope is that Carolina either trades up for one of the big three, or takes Lance. That would improve the Bears odds of snagging Jones considerably. 

Speaking of the draft, is it going to be done like last years? I don't remember seeing anything...

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm an Aggie and have watched a lot of Mond in the past 4 years. He is WILDLY inconsistent - from game to game, and throw to throw. One minute he'll drop an absolute DIME from 30+, then the next drive will miss his receiver running open across the field (read, not down) by 5 yards.

stats don't tell the story either. he feasted on poor teams, but shrunk when competition got hard. I know most QBs do, but most also don't have the talent around them to keep it up. If Mond had gotten better the last 4 years, A&M should have been a legit contender (admittedly they were this year), but he just didn't really improve much in the areas he should have over the past 2-3 years.

I probably wouldn't take him before the 4th-5th. Not saying he can't be good - if a coach figures out how to work out the inconsistencies he can be good, but he has not shown over the past few years that he can. 

Edited by HuskieBear
spelling
  • Like 2