Future QB Discussion

G08

59 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I'm an Aggie and have watched a lot of Mond in the past 4 years. He is WIDELY inconsistent - from game to game, and throw to throw. One minute he'll drop an absolute DIME from 30+, then the next drive will miss his receiver running open across the field (read, not down) by 5 yards.

stats don't tell the story either. he feasted on poor teams, but shrunk when competition got hard. I know most QBs do, but most also don't have the talent around them to keep it up. If Mond had gotten better the last 4 years, A&M should have been a legit contender (admittedly they were this year), but he just didn't really improve much in the areas he should have over the past 2-3 years.

I probably wouldn't take him before the 4th-5th. Not saying he can't be good - if a coach figures out how to work out the inconsistencies he can be good, but he has not shown over the past few years that he can. 

He did perform well in some big games though, right? I seem to recall that. And he was MVP of the Senior Bowl, so there's that. Wonder where he'll end up being drafted. Bears don't have a fourth because of the draft day trade last year, maybe if he's there in the 5th they could snag him. To be the backup, obviously. 

47 minutes ago, malagabears said:

More smoke today:

Probably not "smoke". Chicago's a football town, Wilson becomes a Bear he's instantly more famous than he already is.

But...wouldn't "making a push" mean, like, acquiring HIM? I don't get that part. It's not like the Bears are a bad team. And they don't have a ton of money to acquire free agents, either. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

He did perform well in some big games though, right? I seem to recall that. And he was MVP of the Senior Bowl, so there's that. Wonder where he'll end up being drafted. Bears don't have a fourth because of the draft day trade last year, maybe if he's there in the 5th they could snag him. To be the backup, obviously. 

Probably not "smoke". Chicago's a football town, Wilson becomes a Bear he's instantly more famous than he already is.

But...wouldn't "making a push" mean, like, acquiring HIM? I don't get that part. It's not like the Bears are a bad team. And they don't have a ton of money to acquire free agents, either. 

Yeah, it could be posturing on his part to force Seattle to get him pieces or maybe he really does want to come here. I would think she push should be to acquire him, then go from there.

Just now, malagabears said:

Yeah, it could be posturing on his part to force Seattle to get him pieces or maybe he really does want to come here. I would think she push should be to acquire him, then go from there.

I do think Wilson has some big issues with how the Seahawks have drafted lately...but they have sort of turned things around in that regard. Their offense line has improved, I think their receivers are a little better, etc. What a lot of football people have hit on, and I'm almost positive that this is true, is that Wilson is really pissed off at Pete Carroll. 

So that could well mean that Wilson will be on the move, no matter what. The Seahawks are close to wrapping up a rebuild, though. Pulling the franchise QB from that mix would be a hellacious blow to the organization. Unless Wilson ends up demanding to be traded to the Bears, you gotta think that Dallas (could give Seattle Dak) or Vegas (could give Seattle Carr) are far more likely landing spots for him. If the Seahawks were at the start of a rebuild, it'd be a different story. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

I do think Wilson has some big issues with how the Seahawks have drafted lately...but they have sort of turned things around in that regard. Their offense line has improved, I think their receivers are a little better, etc. What a lot of football people have hit on, and I'm almost positive that this is true, is that Wilson is really pissed off at Pete Carroll. 

So that could well mean that Wilson will be on the move, no matter what. The Seahawks are close to wrapping up a rebuild, though. Pulling the franchise QB from that mix would be a hellacious blow to the organization. Unless Wilson ends up demanding to be traded to the Bears, you gotta think that Dallas (could give Seattle Dak) or Vegas (could give Seattle Carr) are far more likely landing spots for him. If the Seahawks were at the start of a rebuild, it'd be a different story. 

We could give them Foles. 😉😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, malagabears said:

We could give them Foles. 😉😉

We'd have to get back more than Russell, though...

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Wasn't sure where else to put this. I thought about making an "Offseason NFL news" thread but meh

Yeah...considering that the Bears will probably only do something to get a QB, and little else, you may not want to make a separate thread. 

But, aren't both those contracts basically brand new? What a genius Pace is. 

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I just feel like the NFL is moving toward mobile/athletic QBs:

Aaron Rodgers (big arm, mobile)
Deshaun Watson (big arm, mobile)
Patrick Mahomes (huge arm, mobile)
Josh Allen (huge arm, mobile)
Ryan Tannehill (good arm, mobile)
Drew Brees (good arm, not mobile)
Russell Wilson (big arm, mobile)
Kirk Cousins (good arm, fairly mobile)
Tom Brady (big arm, not mobile)
Derek Carr (big arm, mobile)
Dak Prescott (big arm, mobile)
Lamar Jackson (big arm, mobile)
Justin Herbert (big arm, mobile)

So on and so forth. That's what you want in today's NFL. Mac Jones has neither a big arm nor is mobile.

HOWEVER

His arm is good enough and he has better athleticism than some give him credit

I don't disagree at all. Mobility helps compensate for their potential lack of development as well. Being able to move around and change launch points was why some of these guys get so much success. Allen, Watson, Prescott and Mahomes in particular hare young guys who developed while having that as a damn useful tool in their toolbelt. Rodgers did as well and now he is as precise a passer as you can find in the league. It absolutely supported his game.

That is one reason Lance hasn't scared me away yet, and why Fields is someone I think can become a star if he is really worked with and supported.

Still won't scare me away from pocket passers like Jones and Trask, but it means we really need to ensure OTs can hold their own and protect them in the pocket even more than mobile guys like Wilson and Watson, since they can literally extend and make plays every game with their feet.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

it goes back to consistency - yeah, he played well in some games, but others he would throw up a josh rosen stat line of 15-33 for 176 yards, 1 td and 1 int, maybe 30 rushing yards or so.

all "mvp's" of showcase games like that need to come with a grain of salt. so many guys get moved in and out to get playing time, most times the winner goes to a player that scored a touchdown. side note - i looked up his stats in that game after writing the previous sentence (after i wrote the first paragraph) ... ready for it? - 13/25, 173 and 2 tds. almost nailed it perfectly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

We'd have to get back more than Russell, though...

Yeah...considering that the Bears will probably only do something to get a QB, and little else, you may not want to make a separate thread. 

But, aren't both those contracts basically brand new? What a genius Pace is. 

I’m not sure I understand the criticism - restructuring big, long term contracts to open up cap space (especially this year) is incredibly common. All they’re doing is reallocating this year’s base salaries for cap space now at the expense of future cap space (when there should be a much higher cap). The player still gets the same money this year but usually most of it is converted into a signing bonus rather than paid out across 17 weeks. Bigger contracts are set up with larger base pay numbers in earlier years expressly so this kind of thing can happen when needed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not sure I understand the criticism - restructuring big, long term contracts to open up cap space (especially this year) is incredibly common. All they’re doing is reallocating this year’s base salaries for cap space now at the expense of future cap space (when there should be a much higher cap). The player still gets the same money this year but usually most of it is converted into a signing bonus rather than paid out across 17 weeks. Bigger contracts are set up with larger base pay numbers in earlier years expressly so this kind of thing can happen when needed.

Pretty much.

All they are trying to do is to take away leftover money from the 2020 season to create space before the 2021 season begin.  Almost all teams have to this.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

18 hours ago, G08 said:

I just feel like the NFL is moving toward mobile/athletic QBs:

That's what you want in today's NFL. Mac Jones has neither a big arm nor is mobile.

I don't think anyone should ever write off any QB prospect just because he lacks mobility or athletic.

The whole idea of mobile QBs somehow weeding out pocket QBs and it being the "modern way" certainly MAY feel like it has some legs to it.  No doubt. I can't argue that. 

However, there will ALWAYS be a place for pocket passers regardless if they lack mobility or not. For a QB....Arm>>>>>>>>>>athleticism. Period.

The main requirement for any QB in the NFL is, and always will be, based on his ability to pass the ball.  Flat out.

I don't care how fast he runs, or how good he is at escaping pressure, or whatever.  That's a plus for sure, don't get me wrong.  But intelligence and accuracy will always trump athleticism. (I.e ability to digest a playbook, read defenses, anticipate routes, passing the ball accurately at all levels, etc).

Seriously, we all just watched the most immobile QB over the last 20 years win a SB at the age of 43 for christ sake.  Before that, we've seen Matt Ryan, Jared Goff, and Nick Foles in recent SBs, and they aren't exactly mobile QBs.  Pocket QBs will never go away.  At least not any time soon anyhow.

I also think it's important to remember this.  The same thing was also said in the early 2000s when we had an abundance of mobile QBs such as; Culpepper, Vick, McNair, Young, Ben, Garcia, Carter, Leftwich, Garard, Cambell, etc......just to name a few off the top (I know I'm missing some names).  

Many people at the time thought the game was changing. It appeared more teams were leaning more heavily towards mobility (and valuing this trait much more) than they were the traditional QB traits.  Needless to say, this narrative died down very quickly.

21 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Yep. Two probable first round picks at WR said they preferred Mac

Ive been saying for a while now that Jones would be a good consolation prize if not able to get a guy like Zach Wilson or Justin Fields but I don't think there's any way he lasts til 20 now

Same. Which is why my prediction is that Pace moves up to around 12 to get a QB, unless he makes a big splash before the draft.