Future QB Discussion

G08

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

Oh buddy... I think you're looking *at least* three 1st round picks and maybe even a second or two...

If the Seahawks trade Wilson to the Bears, then they're most likely looking at something like a Mariotta or a Darnold reclamation project to keep the team afloat. Which means...they'll want players, as well as picks. 

And I'm fine with that. They want Mack? They can have him. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

Oh buddy... I think you're looking *at least* three 1st round picks and maybe even a second or two...

That's a LOT for a great quarterback.  At this point, you have to start asking yourselves how much more it would cost to get Watson.  The reason being that there is a lot more tread left on the tires with Watson. 

Say it comes down to 3 first round picks for Wilson and 5 first round picks for Watson, what would you do?  I think I'd go with Watson because you would have more years left to rebuild the team after you start getting your first round picks again.

Then again, the Bears have never had a quarterback as good as Wilson, so maybe a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  You also have some talent on this team already, so you might be able to make some waves in the next few years with Wilson even without your first round picks.  

Tough decision Bears fans.  I hope you land one of these guys.  It would be AWESOME!!!!!  No matter which one you end up with, you're going to be looking good!

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's a LOT for a great quarterback.  At this point, you have to start asking yourselves how much more it would cost to get Watson.  The reason being that there is a lot more tread left on the tires with Watson. 

Say it comes down to 3 first round picks for Wilson and 5 first round picks for Watson, what would you do?  I think I'd go with Watson because you would have more years left to rebuild the team after you start getting your first round picks again.

Then again, the Bears have never had a quarterback as good as Wilson, so maybe a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  You also have some talent on this team already, so you might be able to make some waves in the next few years with Wilson even without your first round picks.  

Tough decision Bears fans.  I hope you land one of these guys.  It would be AWESOME!!!!!  No matter which one you end up with, you're going to be looking good!

giphy.gif

I thought you can only trade three years worth of 1st round picks at one time. If so five 1's is out of the question for anyone, unless they accumulate more via trade for veterans

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I thought you can only trade three years worth of 1st round picks at one time. If so five 1's is out of the question for anyone, unless they accumulate more via trade for veterans

I've never heard that before but you could be right.  At that point, it would come down to how many players they would demand for Watson too.  Maybe the Bears are just not in a position to get Watson.  I don't know.

55 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think that's a rule in the NBA, not in the NFL. Really doesn't matter anyway, as no one would ever trade 5 first round picks. If Wilson comes to the Bears, there will be players involved. Sucks the Seahawks just traded for Jamal Adams. I'd love to get the bull**** Eddie Jackson contract off the Bears' books...

24 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think that's a rule in the NBA, not in the NFL. Really doesn't matter anyway, as no one would ever trade 5 first round picks. If Wilson comes to the Bears, there will be players involved. Sucks the Seahawks just traded for Jamal Adams. I'd love to get the bull**** Eddie Jackson contract off the Bears' books...

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've never heard that before but you could be right.  At that point, it would come down to how many players they would demand for Watson too.  Maybe the Bears are just not in a position to get Watson.  I don't know.

I could've swore I read it somewhere or heard it somewhere. I could be wrong. Beats me

I could see it being something like two 1's, a 3, and a player for Wilson and a late rounder

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I could've swore I read it somewhere or heard it somewhere. I could be wrong. Beats me

I could see it being something like two 1's, a 3, and a player for Wilson and a late rounder

Parkins talked about it a lot on the score.  The only time you can trade three years into the future is on the first day of the draft, meaning that one day is the only chance anyone can acquire 4 first round picks from a team (unless that team acquired other teams first round picks).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G08 said:

Nobody is saying to ignore anything, mind you, but that list demonstrates your odds are better with athleticism and arm talent.

Sure.  But the odds of finding those types that can stay healthy and continue to grow have even less odds. My list demonstrates this.

14 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I'm hoping on this more so than relying on the draft

While I do like quite a few prospects in this years QB class I just think based on where the team is and how little patience Bears fans have for another QB project... they need to go for the big swing and get that surefire HOF caliber QB like Wilson or Watson

This is an unprecedented time where 2 high quality QBs are available/want out of their current organizations and their respective teams are now willing to listen to trade offers

I think it's a no brainer at this point in time.  You won't get many opportunities like this if ever again. Just do it!

Small nitpick here.....but let's slow down on calling Watson a sure-fire HOF caliber QB lol.  Wilson, sure.  But Watson, not yet.

I get your idea and understanding here. But future wise, we are not the right team to be forking over several multiple draft picks and players for any QB.  In 2018, I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly but not right now.

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Max is 3 first round picks in trades, however on draft day a team can include 4 first round picks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Sure.  But the odds of finding those types that can stay healthy and continue to grow have even less odds. My list demonstrates this.

Yes, it is difficult to find franchise QBs.

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The max an NFL team can trade away is 4 years worth of picks including the current year's picks and it has to be done on draft day, otherwise it's 3 years worth of picks if a trade was to be made today

Just saw that another poster said the same exact thing as me but 5 hours earlier...doh

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The max an NFL team can trade away is 4 years worth of picks including the current year's picks and it has to be done on draft day, otherwise it's 3 years worth of picks if a trade was to be made today

Just saw that another poster said the same exact thing as me but 5 hours earlier...doh

😀No worries. I was totally unaware of that rule! I suppose it doesn't get discussed a lot because situations where a trade could generate that kind of haul...are virtually non-existent.

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't watch any Texas football, but is this real...?

Wow

Interestingly Bears now have a connection to Ehlinger through their new coaching hire Tom Herman

I'm not a big Ehlinger fan but he could be a decent add as a mid to late round developmental player