Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Wow

Interestingly Bears now have a connection to Ehlinger through their new coaching hire Tom Herman

I'm not a big Ehlinger fan but he could be a decent add as a mid to late round developmental player 

As the 2nd QB drafted for the Bears?

Historically teams on player side of a block buster trade in NFL have been the losers.  In past that was usually for star RBs when Rbs mattered a lot and were center piece of an offense.  Some trades were washes.  

But Goff and Wentz both went to SBs after mega deals, Wentz got them in position anyway, but was it because of them or more so due to good cast from rookie salary?  Redskins QB trade didn’t pan out for anyone involved. 

Mariotta and Titans couldn’t cash in and neither could Browns on their multiple windfalls. But arguably they could have had they drafted better with FA.  Same with Rams after RG3 trade.  

There really isn’t any precedent for a mega trade for a paid still good QB in salary cap era to draw from.  I mean good QBs have moved, like P. Manning and Favre and Brady and Rivers, but there were no blockbuster trades to acquire them.   Even Brees trade was minor. So team acquiring them didn’t give up big assets. 

This offseason may be plowing new ground.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 3

On 3/5/2021 at 5:55 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Say it comes down to 3 first round picks for Wilson and 5 first round picks for Watson, what would you do?  I think I'd go with Watson because you would have more years left to rebuild the team after you start getting your first round picks again.

Except at a certain point those future, future FRPs lose value.  Don't get me wrong, you like the idea of having future FRP when the roster is going to look drastically different then it does right now, but there's way too many variables to account for.

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The max an NFL team can trade away is 4 years worth of picks including the current year's picks and it has to be done on draft day, otherwise it's 3 years worth of picks if a trade was to be made today

Just saw that another poster said the same exact thing as me but 5 hours earlier...doh

Is there a source for this?

59 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except at a certain point those future, future FRPs lose value.  Don't get me wrong, you like the idea of having future FRP when the roster is going to look drastically different then it does right now, but there's way too many variables to account for.

What are you talking about? 

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I would hate the FO to make a major trade to get Wilson or Watson, but at the same time I would love it. Strictly because of the reactions NOW and in the future.  It would be gold material.

Meh it'd suck to give up all the draft capital that will likely be required to trade for either but I don't really see a better solution. I for one don't trust Pace & Nagy to draft/develop a QB psopect that turns out to be the star QB this team sorely needs.

It's rare that two QBs of this caliber are available so IMO you do whatever it takes to get them....within reason of course lol

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What would Bears roster look like in a post Wilson trade?

I'd expect then to lose a couple good players in addition to draft picks.

Likely any 2 of the following combo of players 

Montgomery, Mooney, Nichols, Roquan or JJ

I'd be more than fine with them trading away two 1sts + a 3rd & Nichols + JJ

I don't want to lose Mooney or Roquan. I guess I could live with Monty going if that's what it takes because RBs are replaceable but at the same time would prefer to keep him

My though is they're going to have to pay Nichols big soon or risk letting him walk in FA and JJ for as good as he was as a rookie has some shoulder concerns so we just dont know how long he holds up over his career

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't want to lose Mooney or Roquan. I guess I could live with Monty going if that's what it takes because RBs are replaceable but at the same time would prefer to keep him

My though is they're going to have to pay Nichols big soon or risk letting him walk in FA and JJ for as good as he was as a rookie has some shoulder concerns so we just dont know how long he holds up over his career

The book on JJ is great player with major shoulder concerns.   He is/was a gamble.   

I think last season showed that Roquan, as good as he is and can be, does not move needle that much on defense.   Losing Goldman seemed to matter a lot more and Hicks the year prior.

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The book on JJ is great player with major shoulder concerns.   He is/was a gamble.   

I think last season showed that Roquan, as good as he is and can be, does not move needle that much on defense.   Losing Goldman seemed to matter a lot more and Hicks the year prior.

Respectfully disagree on Roquan. He's a beast and a tackle machine and is just coming into his own now. Plus I don't think Seahawks would want him as much as the Texans because they already have an all pro ILB in Bobby Wagner

If we could get an an all pro QB without having to give up Roquan sign me up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Seattle doesn’t really need Mooney or Roquan - they have DK and Lockett at WR and Wagner at ILB. I’m not sure a RB is going to add much to any trade - I’m super high on Monty but he’s not a Saquon, McCaffrey or pre-injury Gurley like talent. RBs like him skill set wise are available every year in the draft. JJ would make some sense (though they may prefer Fuller) but if I were them I’d be leery of making a 2nd year corner with shoulder issues a key piece in a big trade. 

Nichols would make the most sense IMO and would be a tough loss for us, but if he plays like last year then we may not be able to afford to keep him next offseason anyway. It would probably come down to he or Roquan financially, and for what they bring week in and week out I think Roquan would be the harder of the two to replace. If 2021 is like 2020 for Nichols I’m guessing he gets a DJ Reader-like contract in FA (4/$53M) next offseason as a 25-year old first time FA, especially with an expected balloon in cap space for everyone.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Seattle doesn’t really need Mooney or Roquan - they have DK and Lockett at WR and Wagner at ILB. I’m not sure a RB is going to add much to any trade - I’m super high on Monty but he’s not a Saquon, McCaffrey or pre-injury Gurley like talent. RBs like him skill set wise are available every year in the draft. JJ would make some sense (though they may prefer Fuller) but if I were them I’d be leery of making a 2nd year corner with shoulder issues a key piece in a big trade. 

Nichols would make the most sense IMO and would be a tough loss for us, but if he plays like last year then we may not be able to afford to keep him next offseason anyway. It would probably come down to he or Roquan financially, and for what they bring week in and week out I think Roquan would be the harder of the two to replace. If 2021 is like 2020 for Nichols I’m guessing he gets a DJ Reader-like contract in FA (4/$53M) next offseason as a 25-year old first time FA, especially with an expected balloon in cap space for everyone.

They may well want Nichols, yeah. Considering the state of that team, they may also want Whitehair or Daniels. 

Edited by Heinz D.