Future QB Discussion

G08

3 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Here are the numbers:

Oof. These ballooning QB contract numbers all but guarantee that the league will soon begin placing a larger emphasis on moving the ball on the ground. I can't imagine GMs and owners will look at QB contract numbers like this and think "Just how it is, nothing to be done." They will look to spend that money elsewhere more efficiently, and rightfully so. There's more than one way to win a football game. 

I want the next head coach of the Bears to come from the Shanahan tree and emphasize the run game. In fact, even without replacing the head coach, the Bears could improve by investing in the OL and a second RB and bringing in a game manager at QB. We have a great defense. We don't need to score 35 every game to win. But we do need a touchdown or two.

• Like 1

Lots of speculation of Wilson.  Everyone wants Watson.  Everyone wants to trade up.  I get everyone’s desire but the bears are trying to buy a Ferrari with a 560 credit score and 500 bucks in their checking account.  The Bears will try the hardest to land a viable franchise QB but Pace and Nagy are going to be left hanging.  I think the bears will get lucky if they land a Darold or Minshew.  But I think realistically we head into week 1 with Foles, Alex Smith and a rookie 5th rounder.  

24 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Lots of speculation of Wilson.  Everyone wants Watson.  Everyone wants to trade up.  I get everyone’s desire but the bears are trying to buy a Ferrari with a 560 credit score and 500 bucks in their checking account.  The Bears will try the hardest to land a viable franchise QB but Pace and Nagy are going to be left hanging.  I think the bears will get lucky if they land a Darold or Minshew.  But I think realistically we head into week 1 with Foles, Alex Smith and a rookie 5th rounder.  

Getting Minshew wouldn't be lucky. Him or Darnold would be all options have failed. Could throw Alex Smith in that group too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Oof. These ballooning QB contract numbers all but guarantee that the league will soon begin placing a larger emphasis on moving the ball on the ground. I can't imagine GMs and owners will look at QB contract numbers like this and think "Just how it is, nothing to be done." They will look to spend that money elsewhere more efficiently, and rightfully so. There's more than one way to win a football game. 

I want the next head coach of the Bears to come from the Shanahan tree and emphasize the run game. In fact, even without replacing the head coach, the Bears could improve by investing in the OL and a second RB and bringing in a game manager at QB. We have a great defense. We don't need to score 35 every game to win. But we do need a touchdown or two.

I've been saying it for a while now...I'd be squeezing out the middle tier of QBs. Guys like Jimmy G, Cousins, Goff, Wentz, eventually probably Baker...I'd be done paying these guys 12-15% of the cap on any given year. If you have an offensive genius type as your coach, your QB should be great or cheap. As a niner fan, I'm thoroughly annoyed that we pay Jimmy as much as we do. Those guys are just not cost efficient. Jimmy is a better QB than Gardner Minshew, but is the team better with Gardner + 25 million in additional talent around him? Case Keenum isn't the QB that Cousins is, yet that team has gotten no better and no further with Cousins. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Feel like you guys are going to get your guy in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've been saying it for a while now...I'd be squeezing out the middle tier of QBs. Guys like Jimmy G, Cousins, Goff, Wentz, eventually probably Baker...I'd be done paying these guys 12-15% of the cap on any given year. If you have an offensive genius type as your coach, your QB should be great or cheap. As a niner fan, I'm thoroughly annoyed that we pay Jimmy as much as we do. Those guys are just not cost efficient. Jimmy is a better QB than Gardner Minshew, but is the team better with Gardner + 25 million in additional talent around him? Case Keenum isn't the QB that Cousins is, yet that team has gotten no better and no further with Cousins. 

That's my bet as well. 

Exactly what I have said. If you're not a legit franchise QB you're not getting the big deal from me  I'll draft a QB in the first every other year until someone proves they're that guy first. You can stack and reload the roster with good moves that dont break the bank. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

The Bears will try the hardest to land a viable franchise QB but Pace and Nagy are going to be left hanging.  I think the bears will get lucky if they land a Darold or Minshew.  But I think realistically we head into week 1 with Foles, Alex Smith and a rookie 5th rounder.  

Why would they be "lucky" to get Darnold or Minshew? That doesn't make much sense. They could probably get Darnold with their second round pick. 

Also, why wouldn't the Bears draft a QB before the 5th round? Don't get that, either. Pace (in that scenario) would be happy with Foles and Smith? 

7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I would think that Robinson is gone if Wilson comes here. He has a significant contract and the Bears would likely need to eat some dead money in order to acquire him. And any trade is going to require multiple picks.

It's not hard to envision a scenario where the Bears have Wilson but need to replace Massie, Graham, and Robinson with picks from rounds 3-7.

We can get to over $40M in cap space with expected cuts plus extensions or restructures or extensions to Mack, Fuller, Whitehair and either cutting or trading Hicks, and even more if we extend ARob instead of tagging him. The team acquiring Wilson only gets a $19M cap hit for him for 2021 (the $13M signing bonus amortization on his $32M cap number stays with SEA). His 2022 and 2023 cap numbers to an acquiring team would be just $24M and $27M as his deal is presently constructed, though I suspect trading for him you’re probably adding a few more years to the deal too sooner than later.

Point being, you can afford to acquire Wilson and tag ARob for a combined $37M cap hit, or have them at about $30M combined against the 2021 cap with a Robinson extension. Both of those options are entirely doable without even going the route of Saints level deferments, especially since we wouldn’t be paying a 1st round salary to a rookie this year for sure (~$2.5M cap hit).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

But I think realistically we head into week 1 with Foles, Alex Smith and a rookie 5th rounder.  

I would bet significant money that we draft Ehlinger, considering we have one of his coaches on our staff now already.  It's just a question of whether he's our backup to someone better, or "the hope" behind Foles.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We can get to over $40M in cap space with expected cuts plus extensions or restructures or extensions to Mack, Fuller, Whitehair and either cutting or trading Hicks, and even more if we extend ARob instead of tagging him. The team acquiring Wilson only gets a $19M cap hit for him for 2021 (the $13M signing bonus amortization on his $32M cap number stays with SEA). His 2022 and 2023 cap numbers to an acquiring team would be just $24M and $27M as his deal is presently constructed, though I suspect trading for him you’re probably adding a few more years to the deal too sooner than later.

Point being, you can afford to acquire Wilson and tag ARob for a combined $37M cap hit, or have them at about $30M combined against the 2021 cap with a Robinson extension. Both of those options are entirely doable without even going the route of Saints level deferments, especially since we wouldn’t be paying a 1st round salary to a rookie this year for sure (~$2.5M cap hit).

Good points.

With Wilson agreeing to restructure like Foles did we could open up some more space in 2021 while adding more to his guaranteed cash too. We could likely take on more of the signing bonus from SEA too to lighten the demand, might make it more attractive for them than a 3rd round topping off the trade  offer and push the trade our way. Do that and then restructure and we could put ourselves in quite a spot to make a run at the NFC North and a deep playoff run. The situation is still very fluid.

Still skeptical but I won't say it WON'T happen.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I have come to realize that the salary cap can largely be circumvented by adding years and using signing bonuses amongst other things.   It isn't 100% 'a myth', but you can definitely outspend other teams if you are inclined to do so by kicking can again and again into future years of cap.     

It does mean real dollars for ownership in terms of spending.   No one gets a total blank check.   Even Jerry Jones who makes most on side of any team won't pay Dak whatever he wants.   

This will be a very interesting year, because not every team is so inclined to spend away and cap room needs to be created.   Going to be many good players on FA market.

Whoever shops the best can create a good team this season, potentially out of nowhere.  Going to be a real test of GM skill. 

Guess he changed his mind.  But Jones makes bank just for him from Cowboys.  Not every owner has that going nearly as well.  

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I would think that SEA would require the Bears to take some of Wilson's dead money as part of the deal.

But even if they don't and assuming the Bears can make it to about 45M in cap space through cuts and restructures, that only leaves ~8M to acquire starters at DT, S, RG, RT, TE2 and then fill out the bottom of the roster.

Edited by abstract_thought

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Guess he changed his mind.  But Jones makes bank just for him from Cowboys.  Not every owner has that going nearly as well.  

Dak does prove my point that salary cap can be circumvented if an owner chooses.  Not to an unlimited extent, but a large extent.