Future QB Discussion

G08

15 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

in a dumb move (but on brand for us) would it make sense to trade foles back to JAX for minshew? maybe foles and a 6th for minshew? gives JAX a legit vet (read: not young like minshew) that can help lawrence transition. plus now foles is far cheaper than he used to be, making it more reasonable to be a backup

Wouldn't be a dumb move at all. Makes sense to me. If they don't want Foles, trade them Hicks or Fuller. Or trade them Foles and Fuller for Minshew and a 4th. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Wouldn't be a dumb move at all. Makes sense to me. If they don't want Foles, trade them Hicks or Fuller. Or trade them Foles and Fuller for Minshew and a 4th. 

i wouldn't say getting rid of him is dumb, but the overall "trade a 4th, 20M for him, then trade him and another pick for a different QB from the same team as the original trade"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i wouldn't say getting rid of him is dumb, but the overall "trade a 4th, 20M for him, then trade him and another pick for a different QB from the same team as the original trade"

Oh, yeah. Gotcha. 😄

Pretty much any move Pace makes now is going to be stupid on some level. Hard to say if Jacksonville would have traded Minshew without Lawrence on the way, but that's where Pace should have started. 

On 3/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, dll2000 said:

Imagine if we traded moon for Watson and he was then suspended for the season due to rape allegations.

If that happened, it would prove something we have all been suspecting anyway - there is DEFINITELY a curse on the Bears when it comes to the QB position.  I'm sure glad that didn't happen.  What a buzzkill that would have been.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, HuskieBear said:

in a dumb move (but on brand for us) would it make sense to trade foles back to JAX for minshew? maybe foles and a 6th for minshew? gives JAX a legit vet (read: not young like minshew) that can help lawrence transition. plus now foles is far cheaper than he used to be, making it more reasonable to be a backup

I guess it makes sense in a way, but I'd much rather have Minshew in Jacksonville than Foles.  You do make a good point about having a veteran QB with more experience to share with Trevor Lawrence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I guess it makes sense in a way, but I'd much rather have Minshew in Jacksonville than Foles.  You do make a good point about having a veteran QB with more experience to share with Trevor Lawrence.

i definitely agree, on a pure talent and ability basis, i would much rather have minshew. but i also feel like if i had a no-doubt day 1 starting rookie qb, i feel like foles would be the guy i want in the room more than minshew. thats the only reason i think this makes sense

2 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i definitely agree, on a pure talent and ability basis, i would much rather have minshew. but i also feel like if i had a no-doubt day 1 starting rookie qb, i feel like foles would be the guy i want in the room more than minshew. thats the only reason i think this makes sense

I can't disagree with you on that.  There really isn't much that Gardner would be able to relate to with a guy like Trevor.  I guess I'll just miss him when or if he gets traded. 

Can someone explain to me why Kellen Mond is ranked behind guys like Mac Jones (who I also like FTR) & Trey Lance ?

The more digging I do on this guy the more I come away impressed.

Other than an odd/upright throwing motion that reminds me a bit of Philip Rivers, this kid looks like he's got all the tools you'd want

His college resume is also pretty damn good

And Chris Simms has him ranked as his 4th best QB

So are people sleeping on Mond?

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

No. 

Here's an overview: 

Trevor Lawrence ticks all the boxes:  Arm strength, accuracy, mobility and intelligence/poise.

The secondary QBs, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields, tick three of them, football IQ being average or lower.

The tertiaries (Lance, Jones, and Trask) are either accurate statues or field artillery.  Trey Lance is the latter, a mobile bomber but neither accurate nor polished. 

Among the less shifty, Mac Jones (rated 33rd overall, 5th among QBs) is deadly accurate and NFL ready;  Kyle Trask (44th, 6th) is a poor man's Mac with less zip and accuracy.  They require a great O-Line and defense but can get by with possession receivers and seam rippers.  They'd do well in San Francisco and New England but would be disasters with poorer blocking or coaching.

Of the also-rans, Mond (rated 141st overall, 10th among QBs) is like Lance (10th, 4th) but with more smarts, less power and movement.  These QBs need deep threats. 

Jamie Newman is a glorified RB.  K.J. Costello (216th, 12th), despite his injuries and questionable athleticism, is the dark horse.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Can someone explain to me why Kellen Mond is ranked behind guys like Mac Jones (who I also like FTR) & Trey Lance ?

The more digging I do on this guy the more I come away impressed.

Other than an odd/upright throwing motion that reminds me a bit of Philip Rivers, this kid looks like he's got all the tools you'd want

His college resume is also pretty damn good

And Chris Simms has him ranked as his 4th best QB

Mond is widely inconsistent on a drive/drive and game/game basis. he struggled heavily versus what was seen as superior opponents, with most of his statistics in those games coming in garbage time. He has always been talented, but he's essentially the same player now as he was when he stepped on campus. in games that matter, he is the master of the josh rosen stat line

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Mond is widely inconsistent on a drive/drive and game/game basis. he struggled heavily versus what was seen as superior opponents, with most of his statistics in those games coming in garbage time. He has always been talented, but he's essentially the same player now as he was when he stepped on campus. in games that matter, he is the master of the josh rosen stat line

This sounds eerily similar to a QB that recently operated as starting QB of the Chicago Bears.

Regardless, Nagy and Co. aren't going to successfully develop a QB. I'm just hoping we stumble into some building blocks for the next administration.

17 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Of the also-rans, Mond (rated 141st overall, 10th among QBs) is like Lance (10th, 4th) but with more smarts, less power and movement.  These QBs need deep threats. 

I think Mond might actually have a stronger arm than Lance (but it IS close), but Mond is way more inconsistent.

As to smarts? I don't know enough about the two of them to say for sure. And while Lance is clearly more mobile, Mond is fairly mobile himself...

• Like 1

According to Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears look to be doing their research on Day 2 quarterbacks in next month’s NFL draft, hoping the detailed and collaborative evaluations of Pace, Nagy and their respective staffs can identify potential long-term difference-makers.

Those Day 2 quarterbacks includes Florida’s Kyle Trask, Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond, Georgia’s Jamie Newman and Notre Dame’s Ian Book.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/21/bears-2021-nfl-draft-quarterback-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR3EI7TUjD2o4akGJyDlDdGqymIcFSGQ1IMFy1McRko3LR1bhnY02NWc09c

• Like 1