Future QB Discussion

G08

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears look to be doing their research on Day 2 quarterbacks in next month’s NFL draft, hoping the detailed and collaborative evaluations of Pace, Nagy and their respective staffs can identify potential long-term difference-makers.

Those Day 2 quarterbacks includes Florida’s Kyle Trask, Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond, Georgia’s Jamie Newman and Notre Dame’s Ian Book.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/21/bears-2021-nfl-draft-quarterback-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR3EI7TUjD2o4akGJyDlDdGqymIcFSGQ1IMFy1McRko3LR1bhnY02NWc09c

Yup. About what we figured. Add Davis Mills to that list, too. 

The ridiculous, uncomfortable part about all that is...it actually might work.

There are so many good QBs coming out. Pace's job may be saved by dumb luck. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Big move today by the 49ers moving up to #3.  Do you guys think that will have an effect on the Bears' ability to get a QB, either positively or negatively?

As stated above the Bears are getting the scraps at QB. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Big move today by the 49ers moving up to #3.  Do you guys think that will have an effect on the Bears' ability to get a QB, either positively or negatively?

I’m not sure it changes anything tbh since many expected a QB to go 3 either to MIA or someone moving up anyway. If anything it may impact the market favorably if someone (*AHEM* Belichick *AHEM*) decides they’d rather Jimmy G 2021 than rookie QB it. Either way we’re in the 2nd tier without a trade up. 

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not sure it changes anything tbh since many expected a QB to go 3 either to MIA or someone moving up anyway. If anything it may impact the market favorably if someone (*AHEM* Belichick *AHEM*) decides they’d rather Jimmy G 2021 than rookie QB it. Either way we’re in the 2nd tier without a trade up. 

agreed, this doesn't affect us because our chances of getting a rd 1 qb was already so low. i mean hell, SF had to give up 3 firsts and a 3rd, and they were drafting at 12. to move up from 20? we might as well throw a bunch of picks at houston or seattle and get somebody proven

From Biggsy:

Mills is an interesting prospect and some evaluators I’ve spoken with say he’s very similar to Alabama’s Mac Jones. Obviously, Jones was surrounded by a ton more talent and played against greater competition at the highest level. But they’re built similarly, have similar traits and strengths and Mills has a bigger arm. If more than a couple teams feel this way about Mills — that he’s a solid prospect similar to Jones in some respects — he will be drafted later but I’m not sure he will be a “late-round pick” if that is what you are getting at. I think chances are good he is a Day 2 selection and you’re talking about a guy who has played in a pro-style offense, so that would be a major plus. He would be interesting if the Bears could add him to the mix while filling other needs as well. Some I have spoken with think he has more upside than Florida’s Kyle Trask or Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond, guys you’ve probably heard a lot more about going back to last college season.

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit today as well.....

Andy Dalton and Kyle Trask are training "together" at the same place in Cali... ("together" in quotes because just being in the same facility does not necessarily mean they are interacting in any significant fashion)

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Interesting tidbit today as well.....

Andy Dalton and Kyle Trask are training "together" at the same place in Cali... ("together" in quotes because just being in the same facility does not necessarily mean they are interacting in any significant fashion)

I assume we'll be there to watch Dalton practice....yah.....Dalton...

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Mills or Monds would be fine options on day 2 to develop.

At least they would have someone to turn to when Dalton struggles.

I don't want either of them to step on the field on 2021. It's why I think Foles will stick around as QB2 and the rookie, whoever they are, will be QB3 and inactive. 

Mills has a lot of the traits that, IMO, Matt Nagy wants in his QB:

Able to read defenses
Wants the offensive load put on his shoulders
Craves the opportunity to change plays/protections at the line based on what the defense is doing
Pocket presence/pocket passer
Throws with anticipation
Throws with accuracy
Throws with touch

He does have his warts, though. Kid put a lot of WTF throws "on tape" and is very inexperienced at the college level. I'm of the opinion that if we draft him, he had better be QB3 and inactive no matter what for all of 2021.

Sit and learn the offense, work on throws you can and cannot make when you're running scout team, etc.

Dude was a 5-star recruit and and #1 QB in his recruiting class. That doesn't happen by accident.

Edited by G08

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't want either of them to step on the field on 2021. It's why I think Foles will stick around as QB2 and the rookie, whoever they are, will be QB3 and inactive. 

Mills has a lot of the traits that, IMO, Matt Nagy wants in his QB:

Able to read defenses
Wants the offensive load put on his shoulders
Craves the opportunity to change plays/protections at the line based on what the defense is doing
Pocket presence/pocket passer
Throws with anticipation
Throws with accuracy
Throws with touch

He does have his warts, though. Kid put a lot of WTF throws "on tape" and is very inexperienced at the college level. I'm of the opinion that if we draft him, he had better be QB3 and inactive no matter what for all of 2021.

Sit and learn the offense, work on throws you can and cannot make when you're running scout team, etc.

Dude was a 5-star recruit and and #1 QB in his recruiting class. That doesn't happen by accident.

Mond was also a 5-star recruit and #1 in his position class according to Rivals...or am I missing something here?

41 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Mond was also a 5-star recruit and #1 in his position class according to Rivals...or am I missing something here?

Was he? Nice! I didn't know that.

I like Mond quite a bit as well.