Future QB Discussion

G08

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've been thinking lately that if I were the GM of the Bears I might give Houston a call and tell them "I'll give you two first round picks for Watson right now.  This gets the problem off your hands and at least you can come out of this thing with something.  He is damaged goods at this point, but I'm willing to take the gamble."

The reason being that a guy with that kind of talent will always be given a second chance in the NFL, no matter what happens.  Worst case scenario, he could end up in a situation like Michael Vick, where he does some jail time.  I can't see it being a terribly long sentence. 

Give Houston a couple of 1st round picks and wait until the smoke clears.  At that point, you will have a player who should still be at least a Top 10 QB and he didn't cost you an arm and a leg. 

Other than that, it just doesn't seem like there is much out there that will give you that kind of return on 2 first round picks at the QB position.  I think I'd take the gamble.

Pace has usually strayed away from players with character issues.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Pace has usually strayed away from players with character issues.

Character concerns are valid, but you have to parse it. 

It cost him (Bears) Tunsil who turned into like 50 first round draft picks for Miami and Tunsil would have helped Bears win more games past his rookie year.  

It cost him Hunt who would have eliminated need for Montgomery who cost a 3rd plus pick 125 and 162 (got back 205).

Prior to Pace Bears passed on Randy Moss and multiple teams passed on Warren Sapp.     

That being said I wouldn't trade a biscuit for Watson right now with uncertainty over his legal proceedings and current happenings much less all your firsts for foreseeable future and a couple players.

Nobody else is going to either I bet.  At least not this season.   Because most accusations are 1 person.  There is no real precedent here for tons of different women making same accusation.

Do you get punished for each one or collectively as one incident?  No one has discussed this.   It will occur to them soon.     

Remember it doesn't have to be a crime or proven by any legal standard for NFL to punish.  Just bad behavior as determined by league demonstrated and believable.

If you took the SI lady alone that is probably 3 -6 games.   Now multiply her out by whoever is remotely credible within the group.   Is that just 6 games or is it 60 games or 100s?  

Probably will be treated as one incident at end of day, but it will occur to someone soon to make argument it shouldn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Nobody else is going to either I bet.  At least not this season.   Because most accusations are 1 person.  There is no real precedent here for tons of different women making same accusation.

There is no real precedent in the NFL, that's true. Which does put an odd twist to it, but you're right, nobody is even considering trading for Watson anymore. That's why we've seen the trades and movement of the past week and a half. 

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Remember it doesn't have to be a crime or proven by any legal standard for NFL to punish.  Just bad behavior as determined by league demonstrated and believable.

The police are looking into it now, and with all those accusers one would think that at least some will cooperate with the investigation. Meaning odds are pretty good that Watson is going to jail. 

But again, you're right on target--he's being suspended by the league for a year, minimum, regardless of whatever else happens to him...

Ross Tucker

@RossTuckerNFL

·

2h

Darnold trade just reinforces what I said . Teams are trading 3 picks for the right to guarantee Darnold over $23M next two years. Meanwhile, Trubisky got $2.5M for one year. To back-up an MVP candidate. The NFL thinks Trubisky stinks and Nagy won a ton of games with him.

The man does make a far point.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It makes Ryan Pace’s incredibly failure even more awe inspiring.

Mitch was an epicly bad pick.

Many many GMs have made picks that were just as bad if not worse...the important thing is how you move on from it...I really hope we just role with Dalton this year and don't try and force a rookie pick.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Many many GMs have made picks that were just as bad if not worse...the important thing is how you move on from it...I really hope we just role with Dalton this year and don't try and force a rookie pick.

Those GMs were fired.

Letting a desperate GM try and clean up his massive mistake is an off strategy to say the least. I find that desperate people often do not make the best decisions for the long term.

The Trubisky pick was spectacular. Not only were you in a draft with 2 guys who would become All Pros, you traded up for a QB that after 4 years couldn’t even land a good backup job. It is an all time miss. Not Jamarcus bad, but in the next tier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Those GMs were fired.

Well...not all of them were. However, none of them continued to double down on their bad selection for the next three years.

Keeping Pace as GM is pretty much unprecedented, as far as the modern NFL goes.  

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Letting a desperate GM try and clean up his massive mistake is an off strategy to say the least. I find that desperate people often do not make the best decisions for the long term.

Pace isn't terrible, so there's a chance things could work out. 

I also could win the lottery. 

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well...not all of them were. However, none of them continued to double down on their bad selection for the next three years.

Keeping Pace as GM is pretty much unprecedented, as far as the modern NFL goes.  

Pace isn't terrible, so there's a chance things could work out. 

I also could win the lottery. 

At the QB position he has to be the worst evaluator in the league.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

At the QB position he has to be the worst evaluator in the league.

Sort of? He made decisions from all sorts of weird angles, though. There's a chance he'll get the next one right. 

It'll be fun to see what happens if he doesn't. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Sort of? He made decisions from all sorts of weird angles, though. There's a chance he'll get the next one right. 

It'll be fun to see what happens if he doesn't. 

He has blown a FA signing, a trade, and a top 5 pick.

He has completed the trifecta of useless.

He may get the next one right. I may grab carrot sticks instead of chips when watching sports...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The man does make a far point.

Fair but Nagy also lost more games than he won last season with his own handpicked QB in Foles..so what does that really tell us?

That Nagy thought Foles was so much better yet couldn't get the same results or better from him?

I guess Nagy will get the benefit of the doubt here but IMO 2021 is his last chance to show us what he's made of when it comes to getting the QB spot corrected or he should be looking for work elsewhere

• Like 1