Future QB Discussion

G08

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Meaning I never wanted Pace to trade 50 first rounders to move up in draft or trade for Watson.

I would be willing to sacrifice a lot for Wilson, but not the moon.

I don't want lame ducks making huge decisions on future.   Nor should anyone.   They have conflicting motives.

We get a rookie and he is coached by Nagy for one year.   Then next coach comes in and its not his guy and he is a year down in a different system, but now there are no first round picks to reset - it just is a never ending nightmare.

49ers can make a huge trade because they know they want to keep Shannahan for a long time and they trust him.   

Why would you let Nagy make same type of trade?   It is insane.

This is probably why Pace/Nagy won't mortgage the future for a QB that they may not even get to develop & coach after this year

This is probably why we shouldn't expect a QB in the 1st considering these guys need players who can help them win now and not 2-3 years down the line

This is probably why Bears were so quick to sign Dalton and anoint him as QB1.

It's not very hard to read the situation here....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

This is probably why Pace/Nagy won't mortgage the future for a QB that they may not even get to develop & coach after this year

This is probably why we shouldn't expect a QB in the 1st considering these guys need players who can help them win now and not 2-3 years down the line

This is probably why Bears were so quick to sign Dalton and anoint him as QB1.

It's not very hard to read the situation here....

When they are 3-5 with Andy Dalton and they need to turn to someone to save their season and offer hope...

That is why they will draft a rookie.

I don't think any of the non top qbs are potential franchise starters, nor are they better than a second round OT or wr would be..  because we can get a full time starter in the 2nd from those positions, given the draft depth.

I don't want us desperately swinging on a failure.. Then next year under the new staff not drafting a QB because we "still need to see what we've got" with said failure pick.

It's just a waste of a draft pick, imo and a potential anchor that weighs us down going forward

Edited by Epyon

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

The more I watch of mond, mills, etc... The less I want a QB at all this draft. 

It's decidedly top heavy, and not everyone is in on all the top guys either. When the niners were picking at 12, I wanted them to move up, or punt qb altogether. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

t's decidedly top heavy, and not everyone is in on all the top guys either. When the niners were picking at 12, I wanted them to move up, or punt qb altogether. 

Yeah I don't like Lance at all, and Fields to me is a better version of Trubisky .... So outside of Lawrence/Wilson/Jones I'd rather go OL/WR (though I would take the swing on fields if he fell to 20.... I don't see the processing when I watch him play, but theoretically he could be coached, and he IS imo better than trubisky at everything, which could be enough to put us over the hump)

Edited by Epyon

On 4/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Pace has usually strayed away from players with character issues.

Mostly because the McCaskey's won't tolerate it especially after that fiasco with Ray McDonald a few years ago.  No way the McCaskey's will chance Watson until his situation becomes more clear.

• Like 1

I'd have to agree that shooting for the moon this offseason out of desperation was never gonna work.  The hard swing for Wilson made some sense especially when part of the trade bait was a player you were planning on releasing anyway.  But it falied....for now.

So you sign a vet QB whose won often enough to field an offense that won't embarrass itself (we hope) and get ready to serve another year in NFL Purgatory.  It's the price to be paid for whiffs on Mitch and two 2nd round pass catchers and the Mack trade.

I'm not expecting much but in the 50 plus years I've followed this team I've seen plenty of year where we entered it far worse off than we are now.  With the cap as it is there's not much more Pace can do except maybe bring back Tashuan Gipson.

Keep the draft picks and draft high value talent that can help now even if that means a WR or CB in round one.  Both would be likely to see some significant snaps.  Take an OT in round two where the value will be better or a QB if the right guy falls in your lap.

Without an ability to add much but some depth in FA Pace has to score big in this draft in nearly every round so for starters draft guys with higher floors who can play now and screw the upside. We don't need more Kevin White's, Trubisky's, Shaheen's, etc.

Regarding Davis Mills...

I've seen "Mac Jones with a stronger arm" thrown around by some beat writers after speaking with various scouts and team executives.

Could be nothing, could be something.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Regarding Davis Mills...

I've seen "Mac Jones with a stronger arm" thrown around by some beat writers after speaking with various scouts and team executives.

Could be nothing, could be something.

Some football folks think both Mills and Mond are potential starters. I've yet to see that be said about Trask. 

• Like 1