Future QB Discussion

G08

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We have to have this guy.   I don’t really care if he is worst QB in league. Let’s go. 

Did the McCaskey's just buy a majority interest in GQ?  LOL

If we fail to get a QB we like in the draft and JAX will trade him cheaply enough I'd be fine with doing it.  We haven't had a punky QB in decades.

Edited by soulman

13 minutes ago, soulman said:

And I still say as a pro Trask will be Shane Matthews v2.0.  If we're drafting for a career #2 sure, why not toss his name in the hopper too.  But I don't believe that's our goal not should it be.  We've drafted waaaaay too many of his type over time already.  Just say no.

I'm not so sure about that. But I AM sure that they should grab Mills or Mond long before they should get Trask. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread.  Watch videos and bottom guys are missing people left and right. 

Watch Darnold and he is under pressure and/or no one is open on almost every throw.  Trying doing that down in and down and out.  Trying doing that while playing from behind in every game.  

Tell me it is fair to judge him in time with Jets at 23 and less years old.

Why I think he still has a chance to recover. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Bowen:

Most anticipatory QB: Davis Mills, Stanford

I see Mills as a Day 2 pick with developmental upside, given his high-end arm talent and footwork inside the pocket. A former five-star recruit, Mills can deliver the ball with anticipation on second- and third-level throws, which is a critical factor to producing in an NFL scheme.

51 minutes ago, G08 said:

If his knee checks out, do you roll the dice with pick 52 and just have him sit for all of next season?

Or do you trade down from 20 to a late first round pick and draft Mills/Mond?

Either could happen.

Mills is a real hail mary.

48 minutes ago, G08 said:

If his knee checks out, do you roll the dice with pick 52 and just have him sit for all of next season?

Or do you trade down from 20 to a late first round pick and draft Mills/Mond?

Good point.

Lets say just for ****s and grins that Jones is the guy Pace is trying to trade up for but he fails.  Mills is often rated as a similar QB but with a lesser pedigree.  He still needs a rookie QB in this draft so what's plan B?

(I haven't looked at the draft value charts so I'm only guessing here)

1) Trade back in round one to pick up another 3rd round pick and possibly more?

2) Trade back into the top of round two for another 3rd round pick and a swap of #52 for a higher 2nd round pick he can use on a CB or OT.

I believe Pace will at least try to engineer a trade to somewhere between #6-#10 provided he's sure of getting the QB he wants.  But.....if that fails trading down seems to be a solution for not only getting a QB but also filling at least one more gap he needs to fill.  There will be CB and OT in round two that offer good value if we can get them.

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

There will be CB and OT in round two that offer good value if we can get them.

WR and OT are deep, I haven't dug into the corners as much. 

If it's me, I trade down to the highest bidder (I don't care if it's to pick 31).

From there, I can make an argument (albeit a mediocre one at best) to draft the highest QB on our board. 

Round two we can look into trading up or down again if there are a number of WRs, OTs and CBS we like. 

Remember: Juan Castillo has a proven track record of finding athletic offensive linemen with a mean streak and developing them. He might love someone we could land on day 3 for all we know... 

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, G08 said:

WR and OT are deep, I haven't dug into the corners as much. 

If it's me, I trade down to the highest bidder (I don't care if it's to pick 31).

From there, I can make an argument (albeit a mediocre one at best) to draft the highest QB on our board. 

Round two we can look into trading up or down again if there are a number of WRs, OTs and CBS we like. 

Remember: Juan Castillo has a proven track record of finding athletic offensive linemen with a mean streak and developing them. He might love someone we could land on day 3 for all we know... 

I spent time reading through the entire piece I posted on QB evaluations by NFL insiders like GMs, HC, and Scouts and came away with the impression that other than Lawrence none of these guys are a sure thing.  Even Wilson who unfortunately will go to where QBs seem even worse off than in Chicago.

IMHO it's a QB draft with two rounds worth of quantity but not all that much top end quality.  Each guys seems to have his own particular strengths and weaknesses.

For instance;

Jones is probably the most football savvy, accurate and a very good decision maker. I'd say he's the most NFL ready to play sooner than later but he lacks the upside others have so we might compare him to say an Alex Smith whom SF passed on Rodgers for.

Fields is just a super athletic prospect with a strong arm and good accuracy on his deep ball but he played in an offense much like Nagy was forced to create for Mitch.  The dig on him is he hasn't had to read defenses much or go through progressions so is he a fit?

Lance is the guy who could become another Mahomes with "wheels" but probably needs to most development of these three.  It's another case of not having a whole lot of game tape on the guy save that 2019 season where he looked like Superman.

Then ya' get to the 2nd tier guys;

Trask = Nick Foles v2.0 with possibly a bigger arm.  But pretty much a pocket statue.

Mills = Seems like a poor man's Mac Jones. Smart, but with a significant injury history.

Mond = Another Mr Upside like Lance who'll need some time to develop in an NFL QB.

So the conundrum Pace faces once again is whose the right choice for the Bears?

If he trades up again and fails we become the NYJ v2.0 and Pace and Nagy are both out of their jobs sooner than later.  Or does he play it safe while he can by taking a 2nd tier guy and filling other positions for now while still looking to pry Wilson from Seattle?

I already know what I would do but I'm not Pace.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, soulman said:

I spent time reading through the entire piece I posted on QB evaluations by NFL insiders like GMs, HC, and Scouts and came away with the impression that other than Lawrence none of these guys are a sure thing.  Even Wilson who unfortunately will go to where QBs seem even worse off than in Chicago.

IMHO it's a QB draft with two rounds worth of quantity but not all that much top end quality.  Each guys seems to have his own particular strengths and weaknesses.

For instance;

Jones is probably the most football savvy, accurate and a very good decision maker. I'd say he's the most NFL ready to play sooner than later but he lacks the upside others have so we might compare him to say an Alex Smith whom SF passed on Rodgers for.

Fields is just a super athletic prospect with a strong arm and good accuracy on his deep ball but he played in an offense much like Nagy was forced to create for Mitch.  The dig on him is he hasn't had to read defenses much or go through progressions so is he a fit?

Lance is the guy who could become another Mahomes with "wheels" but probably needs to most development of these three.  It's another case of not having a whole lot of game tape on the guy save that 2019 season where he looked like Superman.

Then ya' get to the 2nd tier guys;

Trask = Nick Foles v2.0 with possibly a bigger arm.  But pretty much a pocket statue.

Mills = Seems like a poor man's Mac Jones. Smart, but with a significant injury history.

Mond = Another Mr Upside like Lance who'll need some time to develop in an NFL QB.

So the conundrum Pace faces once again is whose the right choice for the Bears?

If he trades up again and fails we become the NYJ v2.0 and Pace and Nagy are both out of their jobs sooner than later.  Or does he play it safe while he can by taking a 2nd tier guy and filling other positions for now while still looking to pry Wilson from Seattle?

I already know what I would do but I'm not Pace.

I think what will happen is the price to move up will either be too steep or Pace & Nagy's guy will be off the board before they even get a chance to make a move so they'll likely end up having to settle for the 2nd tier caliber options at QB, which is fine by me because like you said, although the draft has a good 2 rounds worth of QB quality, the high end superstar type talent is not there outside of Lawrence, and IMO Wilson & Fields, so I'm not really in favor of trading up a ton for either Lance or Mac.  If those guys fall then fine but they're not top-10 worthy IMO.

If that's the case then I think Bears could look to add a playmaking WR like Smith/Waddle/Toney in round 1, because outside of Cohen and Mooney the offense sorely lacks speed and game breaking talent.

Then in Round 2 is where we can see them take a chance on a high upside QB like Mond or Mills.  I think one of those two will be there when Bears pick, but I'd even be fine with them making a small trade up to get one of them.

That to me is a more efficient plan than trading multiple future 1sts for an unknown high upside prospect.  I'd much rather those future 1sts be saved for a run at a guy like Russ Wilson or even Watson if all clears up with those allegations he's facing.

But again you nor I aren't Pace and are fighting to save our job 😆

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine if Mac is there guy, but you don't move to 4-6 for Mac. If Mac hits 9-10 I would start making calls if he was the guy I wanted.

But therein lies the problem.  We don't know who he wants or if he'd be happy getting any one of them.

I would be shocked if he was able to get Atlanta to move but Miami maybe and he may have to since some of the latest projections have both NE (Jones) and Wash. (Lance) sniping the top ten for their guys.

Gonna be an interesting first few hours.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

There have been some "reading the field" criticisms on him, but a lot of that is the whole "QB on a VERY good team" dilemma, as far as evaluation goes.

We now know that Fields has epilepsy, and many GMs are worried that concussions will complicate that condition. I think that's the real reason Fields' has fallen down some boards. 

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine if Mac is there guy, but you don't move to 4-6 for Mac. If Mac hits 9-10 I would start making calls if he was the guy I wanted.

If they can pull off a move for Mac Jones, it shouldn't matter what the draft slot is. If they can trade up and get Mac Jones, they need to do it. 

41 minutes ago, G08 said:

**** I'm still hoping the Packers let Rodgers go after next season and he comes to Chicago 🙏🏽 🙏🏽 🙏🏽 

The Packers will never simply release Aaron Rodgers. 

Edited by Heinz D.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

The Packers will never simply release Aaron Rodgers.

They pissed him off and after next season, if they cut him, they gain $22.65M in cap space. He'll also be 38 going on 39.